Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

Offshore Quality?

Discussion in 'Offshore Yacht' started by KonaLA, Jun 5, 2009.

1. KonaLA

KonaLA New Member

I've been in market for a while and looking to purchase my first boat. Came across a '87 48' Offshore Sportfisher that I love. Haven't heard too much about this Maker other than reading their bio. Would love to hear from current/previous owners as to what your experience has been. Particularly, boats built in the late '80's. Thanks.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm not familiar with that particular boat, but they have a beautiful trawler yacht (much like a Freedom Trawler) and have been around for a long time. The Captain I had deckhanding for me on a transport last week just spent the past 14 months working a 68 and loved it. I've known him for quite awhile and value his opinion.
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

We know some folks with a 64' Voyager that they love.

They put it right up next to a Fleming, which they considered buying when they were in the market, and to Fleming's credit, build a wonderful boat. They report the shake down wasn't terrible, the time or two when customer support was needed, it was spot on, and the boat otherwise has been very good to them.

Cruises well, rests on the hook well, and is just all around a great boat for their needs. They spent most of their time down in Mexico and make runs up and down the West Coast.
  4. KonaLA

KonaLA New Member

Appreciate the feedback guys. I've been on here for a while, but just registered and it's my first post. Fleming is a beautiful boat and I've always wanted one, but way way out of my budget, which is around $200k.

This is what I'm consiidering:
    http://tinyurl.com/ml5suz

She's here in Los Angeles, which is where I'm located. Seems like a fair price. Viewing her in a couple of days.

This is the one that got me excited. Same price, but located in Florida. Weighing the cost between shipping and up-grading:
    http://tinyurl.com/osffkm

Fist one has Cummins with low hours. 2nd has Cats, which I'd rather have. Reality is that my cruising is only going to be between Santa Barbara and San Diego. Mostly a part-time live a board.

Realize the Taiwanese have been building some great boats, but I believe during the 80's, the quality coming out of Taiwan was pretty low. Can't seem to find any owners to see what their experience has been.
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Hmmm... I have no idea on their quality and such with the builds from the 80s. The couple I know here has a 2006-ish if I recall. So I have no idea. Hopefully others in the4 forum will be able to chime in and or the broker you are working with will have some insight on it.

Good luck. Great size and would seem to be a very functional boat for where you are looking to cruise.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Good looking boats. The second is definately a yachtfisher with that cockpit, but neither is a sportfish, more like a trawler yacht with that speed. I like that high bow. Very good looking lines. Good luck.
  7. KonaLA

KonaLA New Member

Making a bid

Hi All,

Just submitted a bid on:

http://tinyurl.com/kt4q46

Will know tomorrow and then forward with survey's...sea trials! Exciting! Don't know if these butterflies in my stomach is excitement or fear!
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Both. You're getting close to one of the 2 best days you'll have.
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

..... :D
  10. KonaLA

KonaLA New Member

haha...exactly what my dad said - he's had a 50 Chris for the last 14 years
  11. KonaLA

KonaLA New Member

isn't going to work....

Doesn't look like I'll be making the Offshore my new home. The financing is proving to be difficult due to current economic climate. Looks like this one wasn't meant to be....the search continues.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

These days financing a 20 year old boat is hard. It might be worthwhile to explore seller financing. A year or two ago sellers wouldn't consider holding the note, but, since they're probably earning 3% on their investments if they're lucky, 8% or 9% with their boat as collateral might not sound so bad, especially if you can put down a decent amount.
  13. KonaLA

KonaLA New Member

Thanks Capt! That is something I'm going to explore. Current owners are upside down with the bank, so they aren't interested (according to the broker).

Though I've been treating my search as a second job (and thoroughly enjoying it), I'm going to slow down a bit. Not buying for just a season. If/when it's meant to be, then it will. Besides, would like to see if this one is still on the market in a months and what else comes on as the summer comes to a close.

Definitely believe I have found what layout that will work best.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Upside down. VERY common problem today. In fact, today's market could have them upside down 30% or more. Financiers have to be very creative these days. Winter contracts usually go out about Labor Day which means mid-September is a real good time to talk. Don't overlook assuming someone's note.
  15. BobS

BobS New Member

McKinna vs. Offshore

McKinna yachts are built in the same factory as the Offshore. I looked at both and found the McKinna 481 more appealing than the comparable Offshore. Build and finish are very good. It made the trip from Marina del Rey to SF Bay in 6 - 8 foot swells without a problem. I purchased mine last Nov at a really good price from the right seller at the right time.