Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums

Ocean Yachts 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Reflections, Jul 7, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Reflections

Reflections New Member

Hello - Looking for anyone with experience with a 48 Ocean cockpit motor yacht. I am considering a 1997 odel year. Any constructive and factual input would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I had an owner that had one. He ran it all of the way down to the virgin islands and back, all over the place. He liked it so much he bought a 63' Ocean SF to replace it.
  3. Wooly

Wooly Guest

I have a question about an Ocean Yachts 48 Cockpit Motor Yacht. When I was at the boat show in Ft. Lauderdale this year (2016) some friends of mine have a 1997 48’ Ocean Cockpit Motor yacht. Any way back in the early and mid 80’s I worked at ocean in Egg Harbor on the 48’ line.

Anyway they were asking me if I could answer a question but I couldn’t. They said there was a fuel fill on the starboard side on the rear of the transom. I told them that was probably something the original owners had installed besides the two fuel fills on the front of the boat but they were Leary and they said they could not find anyone to answer the question. They said they looked but could not see how it was plumbed to go the tanks. Not even sure if you would be able to see the plumbing. Is there anyone who can answer this question?
  4. hipnautic

hipnautic New Member

Not sure if it applies, but my Carver 404 Cockpit Motor Yacht has a 3rd fuel tank, under the cockpit sole. The fill for this tank is on the transom, starboard side...
  5. Wooly

Wooly Guest

Thanks. Obviously this is also for the main engines? And what size is your third tank?
  6. hipnautic

hipnautic New Member

There are 2 Fuel Selector Valves in my ER, one for each Main. Each Main can run off it's own tank(Port Engine/Port Tank, Starboard Engine/Starboard Tank) OR the Aft Aux Tank, which is 120 Gallons.....When full, I can only carry 316 Gallons total. No doubt much larger tanks aboard a 48 footer:)
  7. Wooly

Wooly Guest

Thank you for the info,
    I will relay the message to my friend.
    Happy Thanksgiving
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

hipnautic makes a very good point. If that tank exists it would be a selection at the fuel manifold.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

OR could be a transfer tank and would have hoses and a fuel transfer pump going to/from it and the main tanks.
  10. JohnEasley

JohnEasley New Member

OR it could be a tank designated for the generator, like my boat. Fuel fill is on the transom, stern tank, and the generator pulls from there. Hoses and valves were retrofitted so the mains can pull from the stern tank in an emergency.