Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Perko Click for Mulder

Ocean Sunliner

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by mbgator, Apr 4, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. mbgator

mbgator New Member

Looked for this in the Yacht specific forum - nothing there, so please pardon the post on this general forum.
    Our boat search continues. We've had 3 boats in the past 60 days be sold or taken-off the market before we could make an offer.
    One of the boats (still on the market) is a 46' Ocean Sunliner. Nice boat, brand new electronic package, 2500 hours on Detroit diesels with a very clean interior and good exterior. Nicely appointed throughout.
    But - the windows in the salon are fixed glass, there aren't any opening ports anywhere, only a hatch in the forward compartment, one in the forward head, and an 'escape' port over the master berth in the aft cabin.

Feeling as though this would be somewhat claustrophobic. We boat on Great Lakes - Lake Michigan, and enjoy opening the boat during the day, preferring fresh air and a breeze to constantly running the AC.

Is there a way (there's always a way) to easily, economically change the side windows to operating units, or is this just the way of the world?

Thanks!
  2. jet55

jet55 New Member

I have an Ocean 55 with a similar layout, fixed side windows and five hatches. I have never once felt claustrophobic and or wished that the salon windows would open. While out on the water most of mine and my guests time is spent in the cockpit or bridge. If I dont want to run the gen and ac opening the hatches and rear door provide adequate ventilation. With that said, I am sure a competent glass company can retrofit partial sliders on the salon windows. Not sure how the 46 is layed out, but one modification that I plan is to make the rear window, next to the door retract to open the salon up to the cockpit.

Good luck with your search. I liked the 46 but needed a three cabin boat. I know there is one in Winthrop thats been on the market for a bit.