Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

Northern Most Post......

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by hughdunlop, Jun 13, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Yo Ho......After a long winter and a great run up from Boston , my 93 / 46 is in Nova Scotia..I am willing to bet this Post is the worlds most Northern....... I have lots to do to her , replace carpets , clean engine room , steering flat , bilges , install pilot , redo valances , wall paper etc , etc , etc...... I will have lots of questions , one right off the top of my head is with regards to the Salon deck head longitudinal ( over the windows ) valance board , I see no way to get it off for re covering. It seems secure as solid as can be , but not sure how it is secured...I am sure there is a trick to it. Trying to post pictures , not much luck , seems site will not accept large files.....

One 6-92 runs smooth , one knocks at idle. Valves etc set , smokes alittle more when throttled , runs on par with the other at speed , seems to leave a slick in way of its exhaust.....

As well , the temp gauges are both reading after warm up at 150 ish...The were in the high 170s with the gun at sea trial. Is the likely culprit the sensors or the gauges ?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Culprit? Your near perfect.
    120/150 till under a good load when the motor starts making some HP and heat. Then the thermostats control the heat around 180 degrees.
  3. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Thanks RC , my gauges read 150ish once warm up , never showing over that , even after long periods at 1800-2000 RPM...
  4. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

Are those DDECs?
  5. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

They are not DDECs , they are the 550 HP single turbo.... , not getting 2350 , running 26 x 28 3 blade , clean bottom , not so smooth paint...
  6. Opcn

Opcn Senior Member

I figured it would be easy to prove you wrong, since Nova Scotia isn't that far north. The northern most point (47° 12′ 10″ N) is south of Vancouver, BC (49° 15′ 0″ N) and Paris, France (48° 51′ 24.12″ N). You're south of the entire western half of the border between the US and Canada. but I spent about 15 minutes looking and found no Posts outside of the US east coast.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A lil black smoke could be a simple throttle delay issue if it cleans up when running. Unburned fuel in the exhaust really needs to be looked into. Over fueling or washing a lung with fuel is not good.
    I recommend getting that looked into by a real DD tech. The valve noise could be from that lung if the smoke is light.
  8. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Thank
    Thanks RC , what do you think the issue would be with the flooding of one barrel ? I am new to these and want to get things right .....
  9. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

Chances are good you simply have a crappy injector. Get yourself as Detroit man and have it looked at.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That's not my injector, I'm sure..

Bob is correct to get it looked at, it could be a malfunctioning injector.

Finding a real DD guy could be a challenge. Anybody can pull an DD injector, only a few can put one back in correctly.

2 Stroke Detroits are history still evolving. Give them some care and they can last a long while.
    Watch for signs of needed service (smoke, extra rattle) before it (may) gets serious.

And, we have a great Post crew on this Forum.

,Ralph
  11. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Thanks
  12. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Thanks guys , will a bad injector cause the excessive knocking ?
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

YES
  14. baltimore bob

baltimore bob Member

I certain if it WAS your injector, it would function properly! :rolleyes:
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You my friend would recognize a good ole crappy injector. Wrapped with bail wire and marine tex. But you are correct, it would work very well.

Stay well,
    Ralph
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  16. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Got a new injector ordered , 7125 and will have my GM guy check it out once I return to Canada. Must get cruising ASAP.....Hoping to short out each one to stop knocking , replace and reset and be on my way....
  17. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I have 2 spares, you never know!!
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If the valve covers are off, go ahead and check the valves clearances and run the racks. I assume you got a timing tool with the injector and know how to check / make these adjustments?
  19. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

I did order 2....... I have also become a victim on Boat Diesel Form..... Now I am scared shitless about my 92s :p
    I do not but I will be watching my GM guy , He is used to working on the lower HP engines , I have 1.508 timing , advanced so I understand , I am not quite understanding any or this yet , I hope he knows the difference , he is an old hand , should he have one of these tools or will he know what to do without one , I am hoping to get a tool this week. As well , my new injectors came with no 0 rings. Will I need to get the proper kits or am I not getting the full picture.....
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is nothing to be scared about. However, when it comes to work under those valve comers, there is not much in the world to compare to. That is why it's important to have a good DD tech.