Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

Northern Lights generator with J Deere model 6068HF275 4000 hour service?

Discussion in 'Generators' started by chiefengineer, Jan 8, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. chiefengineer

chiefengineer New Member

Good day all
    I have just received a quote for $10k US for a 4000 hour service on the Northern Lights generator with the John Deere 6068HF275 diesel motor in it. An external company has just quoted me $10k US to give the generator a 4000 hour service, which I find is extremely high? is this correct?
    What was stated that has to be done at 4000 hours is as follows:
    Removal of cylinder head and overhauling, supply and renew the piston rings, supply and renew the intake and exhaust valves,valve seats, valve guides, renew the complete gaskets, cross head assembly, intake and exhaust valve springs, service the injectors and fuel pump, service the turbo charger and the DC alternator, check the A/C alternator, windings and check all the electrical connections, sensors etc.
    Also regular service of all filters, lube oil, coolant, anodes, servicing heat exchangers and after coolers.

my question is I feel that this company is trying to pull a fast one as I am sure that not all what they have listed has to be done. So looking for a John Deere expert that can shed some light on what exact service is required for this motor at 4000 hours.

regards
    Shaun
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't know what service is required. But, for the work that is mentioned, it's basically a complete upper end overhaul and the price seems fair for the work quoted.
  3. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I think you are being taken for a ride. As Capt. J stated that is a complete top end over haul. I am not sure of the model, but I previously went almost 20k hours on a NL 65KW before a complete overhaul.
    If it is a larger unit this should not be considered until at least 10k hours. Now if it is a smaller high rpm unit this could be different. I would check with NL directly, but in my experience they do not have a time frame to do this work in their maintenance schedule.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I also think you are being taken for a ride.

Are you looking at this as a time based review or is the engine exhibiting behaviour that leads you to believe a fairly major rebuild is required.

I notice it says replace Piston Rings, this is a lot more involved than doing a top end overhaul. The crank bearings will need to be inspected and replaced as required. You will need a sump gasket and may also need an oil pump.

I found a manual that calls for a top tune at 2000 Hrs so I would be very surprised if it need an overhaul at 4000 hours.

If the engine is running ok, remove the injectors and borescope it. If its throwing black on the water change the injectors and fuel filters , clean and inspect the turbo, change the air filter and see what happens.

If you are running it at light load longterm the slobber problem is well known.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On the 6.8, the only scheduled 2000 hour service is valve adjustments, coolant and cooling system, Check Crankshaft Vibration Damper &Test Glow Plugs (6068HF475)
    Other notes;
    Wet liners.
    Up to 5 years / 5000 hour warranty was available.
    50 to 70% load required / 30% cycle.
    Extended oil service intervals from 250 to 500 hours are in spec.

It's a champ of an engine. In a properly loaded set, 10000 hours should not be uncommon.

In the other direction; High idle without a load can be the waste of a good engine.
    Poor liner patterns, poor piston ring performance, maybe piston damage can occur
    if the cylinder temp and pressures (proper load) never come up.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

BTW has the wind settled yet in Cape Town?
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

37 mph southerlies right now
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I would ask to see the Northern Lights maintenance schedule document that indicates this need. This is just like auto dealers who say you need $1000 service at a mileage the manufacturer says you need nothing. I pulled up a couple of different Northern Lights manuals and none of them indicate the need for anything at 4000 hours. I then pulled up a couple of Deere documents. I find nothing of that nature. Then I think of some basic logic.

1. Engine operating fine.
    2. Oil Analysis indicates no problem. (hopefully you have one).

Then step 3. does not logically say to rebuild the engine.

Again, I'd ask to see something in writing from the manufacturer or be given some solid evidence such work was needed. Give Northern Lights a call and ask what they have to say about that. We are diligent about all manufacturer suggested maintenance but not about some contrived schedule invented by a dealer to build profits.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Nobel GTII just got in last week before the winds started pounding the docks over 45kts. I see the OP is from down there.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

His profile also says Dubai
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

"Cape Town, Dubai"
    There is also Dubai World Africa Services (Pty) Ltd at the Cape Town port.
    I was just trying to break some ice.