Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Norfolk ICW Delays

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Cruz, Oct 20, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Cruz

Cruz Member

As I'm sure many of you who are or will be southbound on the ICW shortly know, maintenance at the Belt Line Bridge in Norfolk has come at an unfortunate time. I wasn't planning to pass through there until after the work's original end date but now they're talking about adding an additional week at the end of the month. If anyone is passing through during the times of only three daily openings it would be useful and interesting to hear how it impacts your trip.
  2. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

Just passed through there last Wednesday on my way from Sandusky, Ohio to Charleston and the bridge was up at 1415-1430 as I passed through. Didnt hear of any NTM's on the radio about it or anyone talking about it as I went by.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Member

Thanks - you just missed it. The closure didn't go into effect until Friday...

• Date Reported: Oct 20, 2015
    • Source: CG 5th District LNM 05402015
    • Description:
      UPDATE: The current closure of the Norfolk Belt Line Railroad Bridge from 0700 to 1800, daily, from October 16, 2015 until October 23, 2015 remains in effect. Additional time is needed to complete the repairs.

The Norfolk & Portsmouth Belt Line is proposing that from 0700 to 1800, daily, from October 29, 2015 until November 5, 2015, the Norfolk Belt Line Railroad Bridge will remain in the closed-to-navigation position. The scheduled lift times will be at 0900, 1200, and 1500 daily.
  4. Cruz

Cruz Member

Good news. For those who may be interested, Sector Hampton Roads just issued a bulliten announcing that maintenance on the Belt Line Bridge will continue from October 29 to November 5. However, the bridge will now be closed from 1100 to 1900, a vast improvement from the previously proposed 0700 start time. Openings will occur at 1400 and 1700. A much more manageable situation.
  5. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I went thru about a week ago and the lift was on request.