Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Nordhavn Close Call !!!!

Discussion in 'Nordhavn Yacht' started by Iluvyachts, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Iluvyachts

Iluvyachts Member

2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

yeah that was pretty close to going ashore but that's some serious tide there.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Once you re in the current the last thing you want to do is attempt to turn the boat around... This guy was very lucky.
  4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

A classic case of under estimating the conditions. Did not witness it, too busy securing our own boat, but the current was RIPPING down the center of the channel. Sometimes, the bigger boat you have the more invincible you feel, but I can feel the pucker factor as he got close to the edge of the channel. What many may not know, there is a low bridge seperating the East Basin (where this occurred) from the West Basin, and to get swept into that structure would be a major dissapointment to say the least:(

Those MTU Detroit Diesel Series 60's came through when they had too :)

Makes me wonder what would be the effects of a Tsunami that is really directed to this south facing CA beach - I could easily imagine the loss of many vessels/property in this small but beatiful harbor.
  5. 84far

84far Senior Member

I think it's fare to say a lot of people would of done the same thing... not knowing the place, would it of been a better play to just back out... she seemed to have a few ponies in the E/R...? Cheers

Far
  6. carelm

carelm Senior Member

Evidently a number of commercial sport fishing boats decided it was best to head to open waters. Note in the first scene the harbor patrol fighting the current.

Dana Point Tsunami Watch.mp4 - YouTube