Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning

No flash 6-92 ta's

Discussion in 'Engines' started by dennismc, Jan 28, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Ok, neighbors pair of 692's , overhaul last yrs, 300 hrs,, all been good, tried to start today, spun over fast , no light up. checked, primary and secondary filters, all full, shutdowns all open , warnings, none..re primed the rack and heard the fuel go thro to the tanks same on both, spin over, no hiccup or flash.
    any ideas ?
  2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Have you checked that the ER fire system is operating properly? Has it been serviced lately or was it disconnected during the rebuild?
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Not DDEC's, manual and auto discharge system, regular co2 type bottle with pull station exterior.
    Fuel solonoid and air flaps open, engine cranks really well oil pree. comes up, fresh water is right up lots of fuel in the water out the pipes.
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

another thought came to mind, when they were last shut down it's possible the solenoids may not have re opened and actually remained closed, it safe to just lift them off and check the mechanism internally, I can do it on my naturals but not sure about these turbo'd jobbies. May try the propane injection into the air intake and see if they fire.
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Sounds Greek to me...
    Yes, check the shut down flappers. Make sure they are open and locked open.
    The shut down solenoids have spring returns on the governor arms. You can check and ensure the arms are pushed away from the shut down solenoids, towards the springs.

I remember propane experiments on gas engines. Please do not try this this in a diesel environment. There are items that are NOT ignition proof in diesel engine rooms.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  7. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Yep the rods are all the way back and will slide fully forward I don't believe these have air flappers like the naturals ? there are no pull stations at the dash to activate them unless electrically activated. there does seem to a flapper on the turbo discharge elbow , spring return seems ok.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

There should be flappers in the blowers, whenever they are activated they have to be manually opened and locked in the open position. It's a spring loaded 1" knob (so to speak with a notch in it, you have to twist it and then lock in a small 1" arm into the notch to hold them open. Could be the fire shut down system or someone tested them and didn't know they have to be manually re-opened and locked open. I am 99% sure this is the issue.
  9. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Thanks, will investigate tomorrow..has to b something simple.
  10. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

All fixed, the air flaps on the turbo discharge had been tripped, re set and flashed right up, thanks again for the help..my first experience with turbos, apparently the last skipper had shut them down on the emerg stops.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's not a good thing to shut them down on the emergency flaps. It can cause the motors to suck some of the seals in and they start leaking. But great to hear you resolved the issue!!!
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yeah, as long as they were at idle they should Be ok but if shut down at higher rpm there may be seals issue
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

They are called Emergency engine shut down devices for a reason.

Emergency could be a hint...

Glad your running.
  14. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Previous operator was confused on engine turn off, hit the emerg stops instead. Did not realize that, he should never have been allowed at the wheel though the Tollycraft dash was not the easiest to read, engine shut offs were on rocker sw on the vertical.
    All seems well at this point , I suggested they monitor all performance and liquids carefully and maybe clarify the switches on the dash to prevent further confusion.