Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker

Newbie Help

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Newbie, May 16, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I can tell you about some Silverton models, but better is that there's a very active owners club, most models represented, and it's quite common for wannabees to join to ask questions in advance. Modest annual fee, mostly to cover the anti-spam work.

For a quick summary, think very solid Chevy... sometimes (mostly more recent, larger, models) approaching Buick.

Pascoe's work is about one data point out of bazillions. Carver has a decent rep for offering lots of interior space. Some of those I see on the water could apparently do with larger engines, but I suspect many are sold with the basic (gas) power plant for some reason... even when there are decent diesel options offered.

-Chris
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. Newbie

Newbie New Member

Thank you for all your input, and forgive me, if i repeat myself sometimes, It seems when i started researching 2 weeks ago , my questions were more vague, and as more knowledge comes my way, i find my self asking some of the same questions, but now i have a more understanding of the question.. and i don't even think that statement made any sense at all... LOL.. So when you talk about the UK boats, being designed for the US.. would you include the Fairline Targa, That boat was very nice, Is there a few boats from there that you would suggest should be on my list... I am going to concentrate on making a list like you said, and try to narrow things down, and if you don't mind, i would live to run that list by you, and get your opinion, i know you may have a different opinion than others, it gives me a chance to sift though all opinions, so I can make the final decision.. thanks again.. and have a great day and weekend... We will be in miami at the end of june, and would love to look at a few boats there if you could direct me as to if there is any kind of mini boat show, or ????
  3. Zud

Zud Senior Member

Newbie,

I've been in your boat, but I've been doing it for two years at this point. The people on this forum are the best...you will get experienced, relatively objective straight talk regarding any question on this forum.
    I now have it narrowed down and am looking for my specific boat. Hopefully by next year i'll be plying the Great Lakes.

Good Luck and TAKE YOUR TIME !!! When the right boat comes along, you will know it and jump in with both feet...after adequate surveys and sea trials
  4. Newbie

Newbie New Member

any thoughts on a 2002 sunseeker 44 camargue
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Feel free to ask all you want. What I meant by designed for the US is that the boats shipped new to the US have electrical systems designed for the US and often have many other features. This is especially true of UK builders like Princess and Sunseeker. Fairline hasn't done as much US volume.

Princess for most of their US life was imported at "Viking Yachts." Viking controlled it and had specifications for their US boats. Now that Princess controls it all and has it in their name, they continue to cater to the US market. If you look on the list of equipment for a Sunseeker sent to the US, the first thing you'll see listed with be the "US Package." It's not things I think of as especially US but apparently they do. The only equipment we noticed that was not really something common on US boats was their choice of watermakers so we did just let them plumb and wire and we installed the watermaker here. It's not their brands wouldn't have worked fine, just weren't our preference.

Now if you purchased a UK built boat in Europe, you would have challenges ahead bringing it to the US.

As Zud said, don't rush the process. You started researching 2 weeks ago, he started 2 years ago. Just let the process flow naturally. It doesn't have to take 2 years, but 2 weeks you're still in the infancy of the search.

No Florida boat shows I'm aware of that time of year. However, lots of boats at lots of marinas and on the water, just to observe.

You talk about would I like the Fairline Targa. For what? See, there are no absolutes. For a day boat? Perhaps, but others I like better. For long range cruising, no, absolutely not. However, there's a very fundamental question you must answer first. Flybridge or no flybridge? For playing on the water, I'm fine without. For serious cruising, I want one. However, part of that is that we always have a good number of people. Right now we have 8 aboard a 65' boat. Very nice to have a bridge.
  6. olderboater

Not answering....you have to decide other things about what you're looking for first. Then I can answer as to how well it suits your needs. I don't know enough yet to answer, primarily because you don't know enough yet about your requirements. I could say "it's a nice boat" but what does that mean or tell you?
  7. Newbie

Newbie New Member

Thanks for your insight... i do have a wife to please... personally i like the flybridge style, looks like it has more room, overall.. and i'm not tucked down below all the time... the wife on the other hand likes the look of the express cruisers.. she says the flybridge boats looks like fishing boats... that is why i am probably all over the map.. but you are right about taking my time,.. thanks again.. enjoy
  8. olderboater

The key is for both of you to look and think about how you'll use it.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

10. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Tell her the flying bridge is the "bonus observatory" or similar. :)

Our "convertible" might look like a fishing boat, partly because it is designed to fill a dual (the convertible thing) role: fishing, and cruising. And then maybe partly because we've got those big, honkin' outriggers mounted.

OTOH, there are boatloads of flybridge boats that do not look like fishing boats -- even if she might benefit from some education about that. :) Examples are anything with a flying bridge built by Sea Ray (recently, that I can remember), Cruisers, Maxum, Meridian, Carver, Fairline, Sealine, Sunseeker, Princess, Azimut (or almost any other Italian or Italian-like design)... or anything with the word Sedan Bridge or Sport Bridge (Silverton's version), and most Mainship models built between about 1988-2004-ish. And then Motor Yachts with flying bridges won't look much like fishboats either although there are a couple hybrid "yachtfisher" styles that might cross that line.

(Fishboats, OTOH, might call themselves sportfish(ers), or convertibles, and examples might be some (many, but not all) from Viking, ditto Hatteras and Bertram... many custom or semi-custom names... and then eventually Luhrs, some models by Silverton... and probably some others I can't remember just now...)

Your observations about more room, and not being buried, are both spot on... if that's important to you. Another is visibility while underway; we live in crab pot country, and it's much easier to spot those rascals from up above than it was from our previous express boat... especially when that boat's bow was raised when we were on plane.

But FWIW, mostly our bridge is our main lounge, and entertainment central when we happen to have guests visiting.

Still, that's not necessarily you and yours; you have to define for yourself how you would use your boat... and then form follows function from there.

-Chris
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  11. Newbie

Newbie New Member

Love the forums to get some unbiased opinions, ..looks like its a flybridge/ seadanbridge style boat... Does anyone have any info on a 410 Silverton sport bridge .. Thanks
  12. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Several owners in the club have that model, seem to like 'em. As with most other production boats, they're a system of systems: commonly sourced decent engines, gears, AC, pumps, fridges, etc etc etc integrated into a boat.

You should be aware there was an ownership change circa 2012-ish or so... and the new owners don't have much info, don't provide as much product support for older models as would a more continuous manufacturer ownership. It's not bleak, because more support is usually available from other owners.

-Chris
  13. Newbie

Newbie New Member

Been hitting the computer and phone for a few weeks now... and now have figured it out.. We want a flybridge or sedan bridge.. We will keep in newport beach, ca.. do the channel, catalina, etc.. no long distance more than 30 miles or so.. does anyone have anything positive or negative about the 46 maxum, has cummins power.. Thanks everyone for your comments good and bad
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran one of those 3 days at Cruise from City Island, NY to Baltimore. MD a while back. It ran good and rode good but build quality was very average. Honestly I'd look at a Searay in that size range.
  15. Bahma

Bahma Member

You are making progress, now you know what you in a boat and of a boat....you will be able to check out listings.....as it still is considered a buyers market, there will be many to choose from.

I would strongly suggest you read through the threads on the boatdiesel forum.....for all makes of boat.......in an endeavour to learn from other people's mistakes and problems.

For example, just because an engine has few engine hours or run time, does not necessarily mean it is good deal.....rust and other deterioration takes place whether the ignition is switched on or off. An engine with more hours which has received regular servicing could well be problem free and a better bet

When a boat which is neat and tidy, one can assume it all has had care, including the engines and electronics. A neglected boat could well be a can of worms.

Everything about a boat is expensive, professional engine maintenance is not cheap and often oil changes, and other routine care is delayed....my boat cost about a quarter of my purchase price, just to haul, paint the bottom, replace the rudder stuffing boxes.....fees for the survey, and many other minor things.....but they all add up.

A competent surveyor can save you his/her fees,.......should he find a problem the cost of the repair can be negotiated with the seller.....the rudders and a failed airconditioner on my boat, were basically paid for by the seller, as a result of my surveyors report.

You must read Tony's tips.....particularly about the real age of the boat relative to the hours it has run, and his comprehensive treatise on the correct exhaust system,...... just because it was fitted by the boats manufacturer does mean it is AOK...beware.....don't get caught, many trusting souls have.......

Wish you the very best of luck.....and many happy safe hours of boating
  16. olderboater

I never knew there were so many Maxum 46's built. Apparently a lot with 24 listings of them for sale. There is an owners group you might visit and also maxumcustomercare which makes available manuals and such. Parts are now handled by Bayliner.

You aren't ready to buy any boat. You're trying to jump the gun and pick out the brand and the model. You're leaping from brand to brand and from type to type.

You're talking about using it in the channel...what channel? No trips over 30 nm. Why do you even want a boat? Trying to do it all on computer and phone apparently and appear to be in a rush. Why did you get rid of your last boat?

You really just need to spend some time around the local marinas, seeing what others have, finding out how others use them and thinking about your use. Look for features and not brands.

I don't want to discourage you from getting a boat, just discourage you from moving too quickly and impulsively.

Where are you thinking of keeping this boat? Have you talked to marinas in the area? What is their availability?

You're talking about looking in Miami, but there are more than enough boats of the size and price range you're talking about on the west coast.

I'd recommend you finding a good buyer's broker and letting them help guide you through this, show you some boats, help you focus on what is best for you.
  17. Newbie

Newbie New Member

Thanks old boater ... i have talked to a few brokers and a few peeps in the marina.. So i have checked out the marina that i would like to be in.. there is limited availability, it seems that the brokers know where all the slips are, so they can get there boats sold.. We will be keeping the boat in the slip.. we are about 45 min to the boat from our house.. so we will be able to go there on most weekends, and maybe just hang out. or just hang out around the marina in the bay.. Actually there are some people out here, that entertain while putting around the bay.. of course with a sober captain at the wheel... Calatina island is about 30 miles out, we can go there for the weekend and grab a morning and hang out..of cruise down to long beach, or when i get confident i can venture to the channel islands about 100 miles.. We got rid of our other boat, for many reasons.. first and foremost, its 5 hrs to the river, then we have to rent a place, tow the boat, and then it can get 120 outside. and my wife is done with the heat.. So we thought how nice would it be, to basically have a condo on the water.. I hear what you are saying about figure things out first.. which this is what i'm doing.. but if you decide your looking for a certain look, there are only so many in my price range.. so do you settle... I figure its my first ocean boat.. I figure that if i can find a boat we boat like, layout etc.. has a decent set of motors ( diesel ) and then have a detailed survey done, have cummins check the motors, oil samples etc.. and if i get a clean bill of health.. i thought the worse would be, if i try it for a year, and just don't feel its for me.. as long as i get into the boat at a decent price, i should be able to sell it, and not loose too much.. I am all for any and all opinions, in fact i love them, the more i know.. the more educated i will be.. thanks again..
  18. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Our dock neighbor in the next slip has a Maxum 4600 SCB. I can't speak much to the quality of the boat itself, but I can say that he has a difficult time docking stern-to in his slip... because he can't see the aft "corners" of the boat, or much of the slip itself, from the helm.

That in turn means his swim platform has taken a bit of a beating from playing billiards off the piles and so forth... And he also ended up with the swim platform underneath the main dock on a rising tide a couple times... and I'm not quite sure he has yet learned how to use his forward spring lines to guard against that. At least the swim platform seems fairly stout; don't know if that speaks to the quality of the hull, etc.

For planning purposes, assume you'll only be able to sell it for 50% of what you paid. Yes, it might turn out to be not that bad, but for a depreciating asset, assume that realistic possibility.

-Chris
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Years ago, I had a maxum 37 which I kept for a few years before buying the hatt. It was well built and in the 5 years I kept it from new I had no issues with it except the **** vee drives (mercruiser had a defective series around that time which affected a bunch of builders)

The 41 and 46 were pare of the same line as the smaller 37 and they were pretty much similar in quality.

Back then I compared the maxum to the equivalent sea ray and the diffence in quality was pretty obvious incl SS thru hulls instead of plastic, Corian counter, better finish inside and most importantly much better access in the engine bay especially to the generator. Day and night.

By 2002 or 2003, they merged the maxums into the newly created meridian line and upgraded sea Ray as th more upscale line.

While they were built for just w few years those maxum "sport yachts" offe really good value and quality. Actually during a main or tropical storm, my bow rail got caught on top a piling and while the rail got bent up a little th stanchion base stayed secure and never leaked...

Regardless of brand it is hard to beat the versatility of a flybridge boat even if don't fish. You could also take a look at some of the silverton convertible in the 36-46 range. Pretty nice boats. Riviera also made some good flybridge in that size range.
  20. RER

RER Senior Member

The 4600 SCB is seriously under powered with standard Cummins 6BTA 370hp ...I assume to keep the base price down. Optional power is Cummins 6CTA 450C which is what should have been in all of them.