Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn

New to Yachting; 13 Million to spend -

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Seeker, Mar 10, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

IMG_7766.JPG
    IMG_7753.JPG

There was a nice dbl berth state room occupying the bow. Across from the galley there was a head with a nice size shower that had a mini-tub type base with a curtain that would very nicely contain all of the shower waters rather than allowing them to wet the entire bathroom. This was nicely done as well, when you consider how confining the heads can be on small vessels.

IMG_7759.JPG
    IMG_7757.JPG
    IMG_7758.JPG
  2. brian eiland

I went looking for engine room access panels in the saloon floor....but wait a minute I found a dedicated engine room access door in the guess cabin/mini office room bulkhead that opened into a full-boat-width formal engine room. Granted it didn't have standing headroom, but certainly it allowed access to all sides of the twin engine installation.

Attached Files:

3. brian eiland

This vessel had a fly bridge as well, and it was very nicely laid out as well with guess seating and a folding table

WOW, all this in a 37 foot vessel!!

Attached Files:

4. brian eiland

Next I noticed they were launching one of the 47 footers...in fact it was this very vessel, Gale Force, I had photoed earlier. I went down on the dock and talked briefly with the owner and one of his friends who had come along for crew. I wanted to ask for a quick inspection tour of this larger vessel since being impressed by the 37. But I could see they were in a bit of a rush to push off for a trip to the Bahamas, so I resisted. I did manage to ask the owner about the sea keeping capabilities of this 'robust' hull form. His reply was it was a great sea boat. I believe he told me he had originally owned a 37, and had previously owned a number of other vessels. His comments were that the 47 was so much more boat than the 37, and certainly plenty big for his wife and himself, and their many guess friends.

IMG_7772.JPG
    Gale Force.jpg

Note that their 47 is the N47 model with abbreviated saloon cabin with a flybridge option, and a big foredeck for the RIB tender. I imagine the GH47 is even larger inside. I sure would like to tour one of these 47's one day, even though they are beyond my budget. I do know my wife would be very happy living on one of these vessels. And I believe they are well conceived to be able to perform most of my own maintenance on the vessel without being a contortionists.
    N47 configuration
    GH47 configuration

Combine the livability, with the shallow draft ( only 3 feet for the 47 foot vessel !!), and the economy of operation, and maintenance, and you have one fine cruising vessel. Perhaps you might even be considering one of their 74's after cutting your teeth on the 47. And I believe a used one might well hold a lot of its residual value in this future world of very high fuel cost that is just over the horizon.
    GH74 configuration

So this is one of my top recommendations Mick

I'll go along if you want to go explore one more thoroughly in person. There were some other used ones there in Green Cove Springs, and the factory is not far away. I'd like to go on a factory tour myself

Cheers, Brian

PS:...this is not a fancy yacht, but rather one that more closely meets your quoted desires,
  5. brian eiland

...all this from a sailboat guy :rolleyes: :confused:
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I appreciate the info and links to the Great Harbor Yachts, I was pretty impressed, being a sailboat guy and all.

Planning 10 years ahead when I get to be too old, too fat or too lazy to cruise my sailboat, (like a typical power boater. :D ) then one of the GH trawlers may just be the ticket.

Not this one, way to ugly, bloated and condo like:

[​IMG]

but perhaps one of these, low key and inexpensive to run:

[​IMG]

They have a charter operation in the Bahamas, perfect place to try 'em out and I already contacted the factory to get more info.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Might not have to go that far. The boat on the left in your picture is the N37 that Brian says is for sale, Semper Fi.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Too early to go stink-potting.
    Got more sailing left in my bones and with fuel prices creeping up faster than the mini-skirts of my youth, I am better off staying with the sailboat.
    (I will even take ya sailing Mr. NY CAP, I could use a strong hand for the main and for the anchor.;) )
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As long as it's not strong hand tied to... you're on.:D
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Uh, slow down there Mr. NY...Your daily rate does not apply for this cruise, in fact you bring the booze and the sweet stuff, and I will provide the boat and the breeze...Still on? :D
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's rare for me to step on board without green crossing my palm. Have to think about this. :cool: And you want me to provide the booze and sweet stuff? You're proving the reputation of snailboaters.:D
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

It is all true, we can be bought and bribed with booze and bimbos..:D
  13. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

This gh47 looks more like a candidate for the rogues thread. Efficient layout to be sure, but not very attractive to me.

Attached Files:

• gh47.jpg
      gh47.jpg
      File size:
      79.2 KB
      Views:
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Agreed..That one should be named "El Horrible" :rolleyes:

Both designer and customer must have been smoking crack..
    (If they ever sold one)
  15. brian eiland

Dear Norseman & ScotL,
    You might note that in my opening statement I commented "work boat looking" vessels.

But as I looked more deeply, I found a lot to like about these vessels. And I think quite a few more people will also, in this new fuel world quickly descending on us.

How does that old calypso song go, ....if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife...' :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svt06ZJHieo
  16. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yup and agree, most of them are a bit "workboat looking", but this particular one, GH47 on the above picture, falls in a different category and belongs in the Rogues Thread and as such, a solid winner.. :rolleyes:
  17. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Brian,

It is certainly work boat looking. It just is not very attractive. As I also stated, they managed to make great use of the space. It would not be my first choice when looking for a boat this size, due to its appearance. It looks a bit top heavy with such a shallow draft.

The pricing certainly seems very reasonable, though.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very similar style to the Florida Bay Coasters, which happens to be one of my favorite boats. Not pretty pretty, but built exactly for their purpose i.e. copius interior and exterior spaces for a great livaboard life,economical to run and maintain, and surprisingly safe coastal cruisers. But again, not a pretty pretty boat.
  19. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

I knew I shouldn't have clicked on that.

I actually like the N47 but have to agree with others and say the GH47 would be right at home in the rogues thread.
  20. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

:D :D

I could not sleep after watching that video. Need a pretty-girl link to get back to normal. ;)