Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Cross

New to the Forum

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Barney Hauf, Apr 20, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

Hi! My name is Barney. I have owned a 1989 43' Post for several years now. If anyone needs information related to the 43 please don't hesitate to ask. Mine is a 671TIB Covington Conversion with Capitol Gears and an ONAN 8KW gen. I am a hands on owner and do most of my maintenance, repairs and improvement projects myself. Love all of the threads on this forum and the fact that we have a place to communicate with others that have and love their Post S/F. I am about to install a 1000# Nick Jackson davit on the Port side foredeck. Anyone with experience here...please post tips/pitfalls if you don't mind.
  2. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Hello Barney, glad to have you in the forum. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful Post and non-Post owners in this forum. I need to upgrade my davit from a Nautical Structures 600 lb to a 1000 lb something. I will be watching your progress and will take a look at the specs for your new davit.
    David on OUTPOST 46 225.
  3. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Welcome to our virtual POST family. Helping each other out is what we are all about here. I have a 43 as well and do most of my own work too. I'm finishing up my winter project of converting my salon windows from 3 sliding to 2 fixed. I'll be posting that thread after I get the salon back together.

I don't have a davit, but seems like we are limited. Coming down in either full length locker in the front stateroom is the only choice. But the floor space is really limited inside that locker. May need a fabricated mount to fit the space?
  4. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

I think you are right about the floor space inside the full height locker. I will have to fabricate a pad for the stand pipe base and glass it in. I will post pics of my progress. I was fortunate that my windows were done before I bought her. The old owner gave me the invoice for the window retrofit...very pricey! Would love to hear about and see pics of any custom updates that you have done to your 43 mwwhit1. Thanks for the reply!

David, I am quite sure I have passed your dock on the ICW in Delray and waved as I passed while you were in the cockpit. Will stop and say hi next time. Your boat is beautiful! The name of our boat is "Miss Pearl". The Davit I am using is Nick Jackson's mini hydraulic 1000. I found a used one up in Palm Beach Gardens and had Nick build me a stand pipe with the proper angle on the deck plate. I am giving the Davit a once over operationally and cosmetically. It will have fresh Awl Grip Oyster White on it prior to installation. Soooo tired of hauling a wood floor foldable tender over the bow rail.... My back is looking forward to having a mechanical advantage and a tender with a better ride. :)

Have a great night.
    Barney
  5. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

Barney, I do remember you passing by the house awhile back. Do stop next time and we can share some stories.
    My davit is positioned in the same place as you are planning. They shaved a little off the floor plate to get it in. I too refurbished mine with Awl Grip and changed the winch inside about 5 years ago. I had to custom build a stainless 18" extension to the davit in order to clear the bow rail with a 10' AB rigid with a 20 hp Honda. I have no hydraulics so I have to lift the davit to get it in position and turn it by hand to swing the boat. I was thinking of adding a RAM to the old davit but I would consider changing mine out if I could find one that works. I want one that will extend as well as lift and turn. If you have link somewhere for the specs on your davit I would appreciate it.
    Thanks and good luck with that project.
  6. Tommy68

Tommy68 Member

Barney and mmwwhit1

Bow davit and changing up the salon windows are on my list of items for next year. Looking forward to hearing about your projects as they get completed!
  7. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

image011.jpg here is one that you all might like!!
  8. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    [​IMG]
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

that made me laugh, thanks
  10. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Hi Barney and welcome! Love your boat! This month marks our first anniversary with our 1984 Post 43. We have Detroit J&T 671 TIs. We also have Capital gears. We love the boat and I am pretty much a hands on owner myself. My passion is fishing, and we are located in the Sarasota, FL area. This board is awesome and there is a wealth of info available from very knowlegable people. If there is any difficulty with this board at all it is only that I don't take advantage of this resource as often as I should!
  11. Barney Hauf

Barney Hauf Member

Great boat Berean! I am coming along on my davit project as well as the new foredeck/toe rail paint, Non Skid and new pulpit project. I also got rid of all teak (varnish) trim except for the accent half round on the sides of the house. Everything else is now coated with lots of 545 and Awlgrip Oyster White. Tough decision but I love the fact that it will be maintenance free for many years to come. Will post some pics of this recent work soon. Getting her all ready for a Bahamas trip in late July.

Some older completed projects...

Corian Countertop and backspash in the Galley. I did away with the trash can that was originally set into the counter and fabricated a roll-out inside the tall cabinet door below the counter to the right of the sink. It has an office sized trash can in it now...much bigger than the one that was set into the counter originally.

IMG_3371.JPG

Granite Countertop and under mount SS sink in the head:

IMG_3376.JPG

Master Stateroom - I added a layer of teak veneer plywood over the anchor locker bulkhead after tearing off the old nasty mirror. My wife took the picture that is framed on the bulkhead looking west from the Street in North Bimini. The picture has hinges on the top and adjustable tension catches at the bottom. The picture swings up to reveal the door into the anchor locker. I thought it was a great way to cover up the ugly door. This pic shows new headliner, lighting and refinished teak around the hatch above the bed. Also put a layer of 1/2" foam on the hull sides and covered it with some really nice marine vinyl material that looks like cloth fabric.

IMG_3479.JPG

Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day!
  12. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    That looks great Barney, very nice job, love to see more pictures!!