Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

New rig for daysailer?!

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by MountainGuy, Sep 1, 2015.

1. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

Hi, I have an 60 something year old wooden daysailer, 24ft. Last weekend the wooden mast came down... Nobody hurt but my ego...

Now I'm thinking how to configure the new rig:
    1) Should I stay with wood or switch to aluminium?
    2) For both, any recommendations?
    3) Who would actually make wooden masts in Europe? What would the cost be?

The boat is located next to Vienna, Austria ... (actually its the one shown in my avatar).

And please excute that I bother you with such a trifle in the world of (motor)yachts.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

What was the failure? Old wood in the mast or supporting hardware?

Not sure in you part of the world but our better canvas & sail maker/repair shops usually have outfitters in their clan that supports mast and rigging.

I do admire all wood boats, even sale botes:rolleyes:.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I think putting an aluminum mast on a 60 year old wooden sailboat would be like a soldier putting on his dress uniform with sneakers. A wood mast is bound to be expensive though. Guess it depends on whether you have a wooden sailboat because it was cheaper or because you love the boat as a classic.

A local sailmaker could probably point you to a mast builder.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

image.jpg image.jpg Judging by your avatar you have good taste in boats and cars :)

How old was the mast, how was it built and where was the actual failure? Was it the mast it padle or was it the rigging (stays)?

Obviously an alum mast requires less maintenance and will be easy to find but whenever I see an alum mast on a nice looking classic... I cringe. :)

I built a 32' wooden mast for my 26' classic gaffer a couple of years ago. I used the birdmouth method with doug fir. Took me about a week. The cost is the labor not the wood which is pretty cheap. I went back and forth between wood and alum. And just couldnt resort to alum on a classic boat with visible wooden hull.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember your videos .
    Nice.
  6. MountainGuy

MountainGuy Member

Thanks for all comments! Boat and mast are same age, from the 1950's. Failure was right at the point where the spreaders connect. I definitly do not want to spoil the look, so after talking to a "rigging expert" he came up with the proposal of an white aluminum mast (Selden), as the current one is also white, and then the look would not change. But true, it would not be "pure" but simpler... Ad Pascal: if wood, then it should be visible wood with clear finish like yours, not painted white (like mine)!
    I'm going to get first prices this week, but I expect some money to be exchanged, as I do not know if I can keep the main sails and I need also a new forestay (and hope to be able to keep my genua).