Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Mulder

New Post Owner

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Rick sceery, Jan 27, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rick sceery

Rick sceery New Member

Hello all, I just purchased a 1979 Post 42 in great shape great deal refurbished inside and outside. Few questions to get started.

My Post has no stove. Does anyone know where I can buy a good used 2 or 3 burner? Looking for a nice dinnette set as well or folding table as to build into port side.

Thank you.

Rick
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Welcome aboard to YF. Great Post kids here.
    Send in some dimensions you have to work with. Maybe a picture. The Post heavy's here can help ID the interior and help in your selection.

71s rule
    ,rc
  3. Rick sceery

Rick sceery New Member

Thank you rc,

I dont have dimensions but do have a photo of the galley. We are going to strip the paint to bare wood and the stove will sit right next to the fridge.

Attached Files:

4. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Someone went through a bunch of effort to remove the Princess stove and fill everything in. Looks nice. If you only want stove burners, I would think an electric glass 2-3 burner from an appliance store can go right in the top. I saw online for $300.

Stripping the paint - try it first on a spot you can't see. Those doors are replaced so they may not be the best test. The wood on the walls is porous. There is a good chance you won't be able to get the paint out totally and be left with white specks. If you try to sand it all out, you will probably go through the veneer and not like what you are left with and repaint. The walls are not solid wood, only veneered plywood.

If you want a nice teak table that is really close to Post OEM, try here: http://www.arrigonidesign.com/tables/ but the price...
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

congrats on your new Post

The pic looks great, I really like the teak and holly

go with a cook top
    and a microwave combination convection oven.
  6. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

Nice looking photo and congrats on the new buy!
    Not to get too far off topic but I have an electric cook top on board my OA. Most everyone I speak with say to ditch the electric and go Gas. I like the no gas to deal with and don't find it too awkward to fire up the gen when we're cooking. Also, nice clean look. Thoughts from the rest?
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Congrats on the new Post.
    Agree with the glass cook top idea.
    My vote is No on the gas and Yes on electric.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

That is a pretty pic. Thx for sending. Send more. Lost of great Post threads here that are full of great info.
  9. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I think an electric cook top would be the best fit for your boat with a generator.

I agree glass cook tops are the easiest to clean and maintain.

I have a small portable single burner butane cook top in addition to the Princess Electric.
    I can use the butane burner on early mornings to make coffee when on the hook without starting the generator.

I have friends that swear by their propane stoves onboard their trawlers.
    But they have to lug propane on the boat and deal with the safety issues.
    propane tanks, plumping, sniffers, and solenoids are just one more system to deal with.
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I have probably the same little single burner. Have had it for years. It is perfect for when your on the hook. I am looking for a butane K-cup coffee machine ......:)
  11. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

A butane k-cup, id buy 2!

On the hook, I usually shut the generator when sleeping at night.
    Unless it is very hot and we need the AC, which is not very often in the North East.
    I have an inverter that runs the fridge and AC loads at night.
    The inverter is hooked up to 2 8Ds and never seems to be a problem overnight.

I usually wake up first and fire up the butane burner and a pot of coffee.
    then when the crew starts to wake up I turn on the generator to recharge the house bank and run the AC, cockpit freezer, ice maker, water heater, whatever AC loads.

I had to install a timer switch on the head lights because my crew loves to leave light switches on. I was afraid they would quickly drain the house bank on inverter.
    The vanity lights in the head seem to draw a lot of juice. I really should replace them with some low voltage led lights.

I want to install one of those auto generator switches that turns the generator on automatically when there is a voltage drop in the house batteries.
    You can also set them to turn on when it gets too hot inside the boat to run the generator.
  12. Rick sceery

Rick sceery New Member

Thanks all, I like the idea of glass top and convection oven. Big question propane or electric? Will have shore power most of the time that we may be cooking so may not need to fire up generator. First big project paint galley followed by both state rooms.
  13. Rick sceery

Rick sceery New Member

Hey Guy's,

I have to tweak the salon since the boat has been out of the water for 3 years. What would you recommend? Use a finish after light sand, oil or a kind of polish? It's in pretty good shape with a few light spots. If finish what do you recommends or oil?

Thank you.

RS

Attached Files:

14. Beau

Beau Senior Member

From the photo, your woodwork looks pretty good. Maybe just wax?? But what to do really depends on what "look you" want. There are always the semi gloss and stain varnish finishes, but there is also the rubbed tung oil finish. There are plenty of videos on the rubbed oil. I've done my outside teak chairs and table with that procedure and gotten many compliments. I used WATCO Danish oil which is a mixture of tung and varnish so it comes to a hard finish.

BTW, I sort of like that light galley. Brightens the area? If you wanted some color you could roll and tip...
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  15. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Ricky,

your 42 Post is very nicely done.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You do one of those portable induction stoves that you can stick on the counter top. Another option is Kenyon makes 2 or 3 burner glass flat top stoves that you install to the right of your sink pretty easily, but also have to consider if the electricity is still there to supply it.
  17. shawn

shawn New Member

Good luck with the boat... that's Mike Logan's he did a lot of work on it before he passed, and I knew the owner before that and he did a lot of custom stuff to it as well. I have a 77 down at Westerly Yacht Club.

Shawn
  18. Rick sceery

Rick sceery New Member

Thanks Shawn, will look you up.
  19. Rick sceery

Rick sceery New Member

Guy's,

I use to buy small gel coat patch kits for my Mako's over the years from a company called Spectrum Color. Appears they no longer supply kits for boat manufacturers. Anyone know where I can get a small patch kit to fix some spots on the hull so they blend in to the present color?

Thank you.
  20. shawn

shawn New Member

Are you going to keep the boat in RI this summer?

Shawn