Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Westport

New paint job this winter for my 56

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by ESSRTEE8, Jun 23, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

any idea what type of repair was or was not done to the gelcoat cracking before applying awlgrip?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No, I got involved with the boat a couple of years after it was done, i do know Post paid for it at the time
  3. Snap2098

Snap2098 New Member

On my 56 all the cracks were grinded out then west system over them. Then Alexa seal was applied. The boat was painted at Jarrett Bay in NC.
  4. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

Sorry to disagree with your assement, Viking had dealt with so many of these boats in this condition they know exactly what to expect. The job called for removal of all of the gelcoat from the rub rail up. They even have a set price per foot. So your incorrect.

I was also told about a warranty verbally and thought having it in writing would be normal. Silly me.
  5. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Actually you just confirmed my worst case assessment, complete gel coat removal. Viking (and Post) did indeed perform complete gelcoat removal on a lot of hulls and yes it is horribly expensive. I know, I've done a couple myself.
  6. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

You've done them how? Are you a painter?

My hull is fine, the house and flybridge mainly. Having rub rail up removed.
  7. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Just a guess, the house and Flybridge would cost you on Curacao less then $20K (Awlgrip)

(They quoted mine for around 6k, when I remove all the stuff myself)
  8. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Well, lets call Dock Wise and get it on down to Curacao!! That would save enough $$ to make it plausible. Plus he can go check out
    Spanish Waters and the yacht club! (spelling)
  9. captholli

captholli Senior Member

2004 65' Viking convertible that the gel coat was stripped from the rub rail up and re-faired and painted with Kingston Grey Awl Grip 2000 and Snow White . Entire strip and top coat job was less than $115,000 plus consultancy fees and completed in two months time in Stuart, Fl. in 2015. OP was informed of this two weeks ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  10. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

CaptH,

How does the fairing hold up in freezing temps? Does it ever crack?

Viking told me they try not to use too much fairing by sanding and not grinding the gel off. The spray hi build primer 25 mils thick, then start the sanding and then build again with hi build.

Did they remove the gel on the entire boat, rub rail up? Cockpit, bridge, hardtop, etc....
  11. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Your spelling is OK, don't forget Barbara Beach on Sunday's...;-))

[​IMG]
  12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I certainly don't see ANY Barbara's.....just lots of Bob's.
  13. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Awl Fair and Awl Fair LW are epoxy based compounds that don't change properties for expansion, compression, thermal and tensile strength from minus 5 degrees to 68 degrees F. If the gel coat crazing is deep & severe enough that it extends down to the glass substrate than it really doesn't matter if your using a grinder with 40 grit or a 6 inch D.A. with 80 grit/ one method is a bit quicker than the other .
    The contractor that performed the work on the Viking took the gel coat down to bare glass where needed in large areas like the forward brow and then smaller areas from the rub rail up. They machine sanded all of the effected surfaces down to a few mils from going all the way to bare glass. The attached photos show the process. wherever you see the reddish color than that's bare glass. Any bare glass areas were coated with Hull Gard and then 545 sanded and then Awl Fair was applied and machine / long boarded smooth..

Attached Files:

14. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

The finished product looks very nice.
  15. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

What paint did they use on the topside?
  16. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Jonathan,
    You and I have had this conversation via email and I believe that you know good and well what system was used. You know what the price was and who performed the work & where the work was done right down to what my consultancy fees were. Why are you keeping this thread alive by asking questions that have been answered previously in private?
  17. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

I thought others might be interested in knowing. The boat looks great BTW.
  18. bsd222

bsd222 New Member

I am the owner of the above mentioned Viking,If you have the gelcoat crazing I recomend you use the yard and painter that was recommended with Captholli as your coatings manager.If you want to ensure the success of your project,go with a team thats been there,done that......
  19. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Thank you BSD.