Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn

New E-15 Ethanol Gas creating BIG problems!

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by brian eiland, Jun 14, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

A friend recently sent this video to me....eye opener if its all true :eek:

Don't use NEW GAS COMING TO STATIONS

While this gas is currently sold in only a few states, it's important to know
    the harm it can do IF you are traveling through states & are faced with the
    option to buy it. This short video could save your car from damage and void your warranty! Please watch & pass along.

Warning Not to Use E15 Gas in Your Car: FOX Business - YouTube
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Very interesting, and the most telling statement in the report was that "a lot of money is changing hands". Welcome to today's world. EVERYTHING is about profits, and profits only. S---- the consumer. It's OK as long as corporate profits increase.
  3. brian eiland

Isn't that the truth :mad:
  4. brian eiland

And they want to pipe that tar sands crap across one of our major aquifers, refine it on our soil, then ship it overseas,.... instead of using it to keep our prices in check, and not have to add all this stupid ethanol crap
  5. brian eiland

I started to buy a used 42' CC motor yacht that had been setting for just over a year with a few $1000K of fuel in it. Engines would not start !! Entire fuel system had to be emptied and refuel with new fuel. Then the carbs needed to be rebuilt.

Pretty expensive operation that would not have occurred in older days when we had relatively stable gasoline.

I also have an older van that I keep in reserve should I need a good towing vehicle. Last time I tried restarting this vehicle it would not start prior to my emptying vast amounts of fuel conditioner into it, and some 'fresh' gas, and some ether to get it started,...and a new battery. In the old days I could leave a car set for a year while I was over seas, come back and get it running very easily.

We are being hood-winked on this ethanol crap. I believe it was under the Bush admin that we got sold this bill of goods that this was a good measure to help us toward fuel independence by 'growing a portion of our fuel supply'. What bull ! We now have a surplus of natural gas (great for running vehicles, and also cleaner burning, and cheaper), yet they want to frac this stuff and send it overseas :mad: ,....rather than using it for domestic purposes :confused:

Lastly look at the efficiencies of producing ethanol from corn verses from sugar cane or switch grass, etc
    The Future of Ethanol, Alternative Crop Sources

Grass Makes Better Ethanol than Corn Does - Scientific American

....and this is all part of 'our comprehensive energy plan of the USA'. What total bull.
  6. brian eiland

Got this from Greenpeace yesterday
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Every time I read news like this (in fact almost any news today), I'm so glad to be heading out of this world. Also glad I have no kids, because we've sold their future for 30 pieces of silver. I've lived my life in a fashion that I have nothing to be ashamed of, but I'm still left to be ashamed of my generation. But since most have kids and grandkids it's their own offspring they've condemned. Hope they enjoy their money.
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

And who is pushing ethanol? Who is forcing oil companies to use it?

Who recently admitted in an interview that he only supported and pushed ethanol to gain votes in the Midwest? What s his name... Albert something... Yeah... That same hypocrite who pushed the global warming scarecrow while ridding on a G5 and lighting up his TN mansion...

amazing how some folks have such selective and short memories. Usually the same who blame the 2008 crash on the previous administration while forgetting details like Barney Frank claiming the mortgage market was healthy (while his gay lover was a VP at Freddie / fanny), or that risky mortgages were pushed by the Clinton administration.

And let's not forget that one of the attorneys who sued major banks in the late 90s to force them to give risky mortgages to minorities was none other than barrack Hussein Obama...

So, let s get the fact straight. Ethanol has not been pushed by those evil oil companies but by politicians looking for votes from the mid west farmers and the tree huggers
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

OK admins. This has nothing to do with boats, and everything to do with specific politics. It belongs on Craigslist.
    I may be partially at fault for bemoaning society's condition that brings this kind of stuff to us, but this needs to get on topic. Please edit that post.
  10. milo12

milo12 Member

Your source has zero credibility. A quick Google search shows this is a 2 year old issue/nonissue.
  11. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

I like ethanol and e-blend fuels. But, to be run on it, an engine and fuel system needs to be set up for it. Not just able to run on it, but actually set up for it. Proper humidity filters on tank vents, good water removal/filtration systems, and an engine designed to use the added octane.

I do think that adding ethanol to current fuels and throwing it in vehicles that were not designed/modified to run on it is a bad idea. Also, corn is a horrid base for ethanol production. Certain grasses, sugar cane even beets produce more ethanol per acre than corn. If experts in the appropriate fields made these decisions instead of politician and environmentalists we would be better off.
  12. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"It would expose nearby homes in southern Maryland to potentially deadly “vapor cloud” fires and explosions."

There would be more risk to those people if they worked in a candy factory. Their children are at far higher risk from eating hot dogs, jelly beans, and marshmallows, or swimming off a marina dock.

http://www.ch-iv.com/pdfs/Safety History of International LNG Operations.pdf
  13. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

"Your source has zero credibility. A quick Google search shows this is a 2 year old issue/nonissue."

I did not see a date of the video's broadcast, why the assumption ??
  14. Chapstick

Chapstick Member

Ethanol production isn't a"good" way to use land (I personally don't think farmland should be used for ethanol), but the story that set this thread off isn't worth paying any attention to.

In Australia we've had 10% ethanol in our petrol for years now (someone else may say how many - I can't remember the year it was introduced). When it started we heard the same scaremongering, but it turns out it hasn't caused those problems that some claimed it would.

It's a non-issue.
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

On YouTube you can read that it was aired 11/30/2012...
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It causes A LOT of issues with Lawn equipment and A LOT of issues with boats.....either fuel line rot on inboards.....and A TON of issues on outboard engines. Cars seem to be the ones least effected by it.
  17. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

The automotive industry saw ethanol fuels coming and were ready for it. Seals, gaskets and lines were updated to take the ethanol years before it hit the market. Lawn equipment sits with fuel in it, but no filters on tank vents. Motorcycles had big issues with ethanol too. It was destroying carb seals, plugging jets and more. Some bikes still don't have ethanol rated carb gaskets avalible. It is a different fuel, and needs the proper fuel system to handle it.
  18. milo12

milo12 Member

I think more and more people are finally realizing ethanol in gas is a flawed policy. Hopefully it will end soon.

From Snopes.com

At the end of 2013, the EPA announced it was reducing the amount of ethanol that must be blended into gasoline in 2014 (in part because the overall demand for gasoline in the U.S. has dropped), requiring transportation fuel companies to blend 15.21 billion gallons of ethanol into the nation's fuel supply in 2014, down from 16.55 billion gallons in 2013. Critics of the EPA's blending requirements pointed out that the announcement came just four days after the Associated Press published a lengthy investigative article documenting substantial environmental harms caused by ethanol which concluded that "The ethanol era has proven far more damaging to the environment than politicians promised and much worse than government admits today":

The introduction of ethanol is over 100 years old but took off under the leadership of both Bush's.

From - Ethanol Fuel History.

Ethanol blend fuels for gas powered engines have been around for over 100 years; Ethanol is now found at most public gas stations nationwide, due to mandates/laws and recommendations in the Alternative Motor Fuels Act (1988), Clean Air Act (1990), Energy Policy Act (2005) and most importantly - The Renewable Fuel Standard Program (RFS) - Signed September 2006
  19. brian eiland

Is Europe using this 'ethanol diluted gasoline'? If so where are they sourcing their alcohol?

If not, then likely cars produced over there may require some conversion/modification to run on our American fuel?
  20. brian eiland

Thanks for that history Milo