Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for JetForums

New Bertram 35 "Screaming Eagle"

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Trinimax, Jan 20, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

I found these shots of hull number 3 of the new bert 35. This one has been rigged for fishing and I have to admit, I really like how she looks with the hard top and riggers. Hopefully they release some performance numbers soon

Attached Files:

• b135.jpg
      b135.jpg
      File size:
      77.7 KB
      Views:
    • b235.jpg
      b235.jpg
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

She is good looking. I think they should've extended the flybridge further aft, and made the engine box area mezzanine seating instead. And the engines half in the cockpit, half in the salon (extending the salon as well) like the Cabo 35' FB did. The bridge is pretty small, and who really is going to laydown and sunbathe on top of engine boxes. But it wouldn't kept with the classic look as much.
  3. jimgeorge

jimgeorge New Member

They need to get rid of those boxes and put a bracket and 2 big outboards.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You know, that's not a half bad idea either. Offer an outboard version with nice mezzanine seating where the inboards normally are.
  5. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I really like the retro look.
    The retro look has been a big success in the American sports car market.

This boat captures the look of the classic and Iconic Ray Hunt design 31 Bertram.
    It also reminds me a bit of the vintage 35 Bert.

I wonder how the retro look is going to do in the new small SF market.
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

Looks like a puffed up 28' to me. Very conservative styling. No doubt in keeping with the heritage objective.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wonder why there are still no magazine write ups that I can find or actual seatrial results. They've obviously popped out a few of them so far.
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

Well, on their website you can read the menu from the roll out back in May I think it was. News & Events was last updated in November. Maybe they're busy building boats.
  9. Liam

Liam Senior Member

It is also is in the boat market. Down East boats have an interesting market, tough to be fair it did decline a bit in recent years.
    I also do think think that some people buy Sportfish boats also because they have a conservative styling to them.

Let be honest some of the full on modern yachts look stupid IMO.
  10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Has anyone seen a boat test on the new 35 or got a chance to sea trial it at MIBS?

Wondering why the performance numbers are so secretive?
  11. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Have to agree with all of CaptJ's points. I took a look at the new Bert 35 and spoke briefly with Morgan Bertram and Tommy Thompson at MIBS. The hull was redesigned by Michael Peters. The fit & finish appeared very good. I'm sure it will appeal to the nostalgic crowd, but it's not for me.
  12. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Was the MIBS boat a production line boat built in Florida or one of the pre-productions boats built by Lyman-Morse in Maine?
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I should have the answer to this because we discussed it in their booth, but I don't recall now. Sorry! Too many boats. Limited cerebral capacity!
  14. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

From what I saw on the Bertram Facebook page. This one in the pictures is hull number three, which is the first one produced at the new factory in Tampa
  15. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I saw the 35 at the MIBS.
    I do like the retro appearance but I did not fall in love with the boat like I thought I would.
    The salon dimensions seem off, and I'm not a fan of the high forward bulkhead.
    The cockpit and washrail/gunnel appears boxy.
    Also the boat seemed to have a list to starboard. I know that's not always a big deal on smaller boats, but it is something that always bothers me.

Also, I really wanted to take a look at the Viking (Ocean) 37 Billfish but it was out on a sea trial when we were there.
    The 48 Viking was a disappointment with 3 SRs jammed in there like an Ocean.
    In my price and size range, The 52 Viking Express was the Queen of the show.
    MIBS was the first time I was on a Sabre, We do like the 48 Sabre but I just cant seem to see pods in my future.