Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Cross

New and Need Some Information

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Sooner1, Dec 15, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

When we arrived in Lautoka I spotted a wooden sloop in the marina that was not longer than 18 feet. It could almost have been our tender so to speak. I asked around and found out that the boat belonged to an Englishman whose girlfriend had left him for NZ. As he had no funds to fly he build himself a boat from scrap wood and sailed from the UK to NZ. After arriving he realised that he preferred sailing above his girlfriend and decided to continue up to Fiji. This guy was taller than me (6'7'') and had long black hair and a wild beard. I wonder wether he is seen in other marinas over the world. This was May 2005.

Indeed, sailing in these conditions is camping. One shower every 2 days from a pressurised spray bottle and bolognese sauce with corned beef ...
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yeah, that's the reason. :rolleyes: Nothing to do with his GF kicking him to the curb after his "long black hair and a wild beard" showed up after sailing across the world on a boat made of scap wood, and with no funds. How could she have let such a catch get away?;) :D
  3. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

Nearly pi**ed myself laughing when reading your entry :D
    Sure, that's another way to look at it.
  4. Sooner1

Sooner1 New Member

Well, thanks for all of the input. I basically wanted to get an idea if this was even feasible to do in a smaller yacht. With everyones help it seems it is and even in a less than 50' EC or trawler. I agree that camping off the coast of remote island beaches would be awsome. When I said by civilizaton I should have been more clear. I mainly meant near land of some sort. Thanks again and if anyone has any further advice or suggestions, they are always appreciated.
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Keep in mind it can often come down to a few bad moments.
    I asked a friend who is an airline pilot if he gets bored on "long haul" flights where they are basically watching that the auto-pilot is doing its job.
    His answer was that it all comes down to those few moments every now & then when "it all goes wrong"!
    That is when the experienced, trained persons, or in your case prepared, makes the difference.
    He gave me some examples where less than 5 minutes of pilot intervention probably saved a few hundred lives.
    Not saying you should not try for yourself, you should GO FOR IT!
    Just keep in mind, when there is a real problem, you should have some sort of preparation.
    A 23' boat can do the job of even the finest yacht......until things go wrong. I know this because this was my first boat & an overnight deep sea fishing trip was no problem at that time:eek: A LONG time ago!
    Now I know better & 20 plus boats later, I would not risk it!
  6. Sooner1

Sooner1 New Member

Thanks and I understand. I have a healthy respect for the sea. It is intriguing, but I wouldn't let my curiosity get me in trouble beyond my skill level. Preparation and education of teh task at hand would be at the top of the list. I also understand that the size of the vessel is important as well. I do have another question about safety. How do you protect yourself while at sea? I am sure there are certain guidelines/protocols to keep you out of harms way as you travel across the expanses of the ocean and into waters beyond the security of the US borders.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Your safety is largely dependent on the quality of your weather reports and your ability to read them properly. Here's a link for Dial-A-Buoy: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/West_Caribbean.shtml. Explore the site. Forecasting is very much an art, but this gives you what is actually happening at a given location.
    Your lifeline is you VHF radio, plus satalite phones, etc.
  8. Sooner1

Sooner1 New Member

One other thing about personal safety. What about piracy? Anyone ever run into anything like that? With all olf the impoverished islands and all. What about along the Mexican border to Cancun. I've been to Mexico several times (on land) along the Mayan Riviera and never felt there was an issue, but with all of the issues along the US border I didn't know if there were issues at sea? I was just wondering about personal protection and how you manage these issues, if they are actually issues?
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Crime is more of a problem than piracy in the areas you're talking about. These days I'd be very concerned traveling through Mexico & Central America. There was a man slain just recently in Honduras when he and his daughter put into a secluded cove during a storm. Check the search feature under pirates and you will get plenty of info. There has been much written here on that subject & personal protection in general. Basically, it's the same as on land, i.e. don't go to some areas and always be aware of your surroundings.