Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Westport

New 55 Hatteras SF, 1271TI's

Discussion in 'Hatteras Yacht' started by g collis, Oct 26, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What speed were you getting? Around 19 knots at 1800?
  2. g collis

g collis Member

Close. GPS showed 18.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't be afraid to run them 1900 rpms. Several D.D. diesel factory mechanics told me it doesn't even hurt to run them 2050 rpms if propped right and EGT is at/below 850. But, they said run them at cruise at whatever speed they sound happiest at and are working the least.
  4. g collis

g collis Member

I normally run at around 1000rpm. In no hurry and keeps fuel costs down. However, this night we were trying to beat darkness. Didn't work out so well. I was actually pushing 2000 for a while until I realized it was two late. I watch my temps like a hawk. All stayed between 175 and 180 degrees.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's fine. I was recommended by the D.D. here in Fort Lauderdale to run 12v71 TI's at 2050 rpms for 30 minutes, after running 1000 hours every 6 hours.
  6. g collis

g collis Member

Sounds like good advice. I have heard and read this many times.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

1000 rpms I mean. WHat I do is after doing 1000 rpms for 6 hours, is bring them up to 1350 and let them bake off the soot for about 5 minutes or so till the exhaust clears out, then bring them the rest of the way up.
  8. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I've heard that from some people and found it to be needless- 5 minutes is more than enough to clear out anything which would be cleared out in 3o minutes. YMMV- if that works for you or anyone then run with it.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I think the extra time helps for the EGT to get hot enough and really bake anything out of the airboxes and stuff. But, I like that for at least 30 minutes it gives you a sense of getting somewhere, to break up the monotony of 10 knots all day. LOL
  10. RER

RER Senior Member

When I'm running slow over long distance I blow them out for five minutes a couple time each day. A healthy DD will blow smoke for less than the first minute.
  11. g collis

g collis Member

Been away from the Forum a while. Very busy. Have been taking the boat down from Panama city, through Lake Okeechobee and them up the ICW toward St Simons Ga. All has gone remarkably well until today. Found a nice long stretch of ICW and decided to open her up a while to blow out the soot and carbon. She would not come up on plane. I noticed my starboard Gear pressure was down around 75psi, went to idle and ran down to the ER to check that gauge, same thing 75 psi. Pulled her out of gear and put her back in gear and the pressure went back up to normal. There re no leaks We have tied up at a marina and I have spent some time fiddling with it. Right now pressure in gear is up at 250 at idle. Any ideas or thoughts. Gears are Twin Disc, MG514.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Is your oil level over full?
    Last filter service?
    The 514s have a cartridge filter built into the case (stb top side) and a return screen.
    Use the same 40w/cf2 as your mains.

The 514s are near bomb proof. It has to be something simple.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Are you near Jax yet?
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've had this happen from 3 different causes, low oil level, clogged gear filter, or the oil pump for the gear going bad, make that 4 the cable to shift it going bad or not fully engaging the gear into gear.
  15. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Yeah make sure the cable is pushing the lever fully into the "F" (for forward) area; if it's less than fully pushed forward then the gear slips...
  16. g collis

g collis Member

Hey Ralph, I'll change the oil and pull the screen in the morning. Do you by chance know how many gallons the gear holds?
  17. g collis

g collis Member

WHen we got docked tonight I checked oil level and it is indeed over filled. In fact both sides are.
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Are you sure they're overfilled and shouldn't be checked while the engines are running? How far overfilled? 1" usually doesn't present any problems......Your gear should hold around 2.5 gallons of oil guessing.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

514s are checked at idle after the packs are engages briefly.
    Instructions are stamped on the dip stick.

If there is not a foam reducing oil in the clutches (CF), over fill will reduce the pressure and MAY cause slipping of the pack.
    Also as stated above, ensure the clutch control lever is moved over completely. Usually a quick disconnect ball can be released on the control lever to compare cable vs lever travels.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Usually they sit about 1" over the full mark on the stick with the engines off(cold and when the motors haven't been run in a while).