Click for Abeking Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay

Nespresso Inissia coffee maker doesn't work on my boat??

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by P46-Curaçao, Jun 6, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I know, there’s always something to learn, so please help!

I recently bought a Nespresso Inissia coffee maker in the US, tested it (110v 60Hz), and found it OK.
    I took it home (Curacao) and tested it again (127v 50Hz), and it worked fine!
    I took it to my boat (110v 60Hz by inverter) and it did not heat-up, it turns on, but got in a sort of error code.
    I took it home, and it worked fine again!!
    I took it to my boat and again, it didn’t make coffee…

I checked the voltage, there was no real voltage drop when I switched the coffee maker on (112,9 to 112,6)

I have 750w solar panels, large battery packs and a 5000/10000w inverter! Everything always works fine!

HELP!!!
  2. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Were you using room temp water when it worked and water from the refrigerator on the boat? I thought my Keurig on the boat was broken, went and bought a new one then when the new one didn't work either, figured out it was due to having used too cold of water... We only use room temp bottles now.
  3. P46-Curaçao

Thanks Maxwell, but I used tap water only, and that's all about room temp... and over the weekend, water is definitely room temp now!
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

If on inverter, do have true sine or modified sine? Some things do not work on modified sine

If on generator, check the actual frequency. We have an issue with a fisher paykel dishwasher which throw an error on Genset if th freq is a little higher when th Genset is lightly loaded. Modern electronics can be very sensitive to freq.
  5. P46-Curaçao

It's a modified sinus inverter, will check on generator, thanks Pascal!
  6. P46-Curaçao

Ok, it works on my generator!

Now even pre-heated, it doesn’t work on my inverter, so those new coffee machines are {too} high-tech… argggg
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

And it s an inverted issue. Your fancy coffee maker needs true sine :)

Me? I use a stove top Italian espresso maker with Cuban coffee .... None of that fancy snobby crap :)
  8. P46-Curaçao

I don't even drink coffee (rum only), just want to impress my new girlfriend...LOL ;););)
  9. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I have had the same problem, and the cure for it is to get a true sine wave inverter.
    I consider a Nespresso machine an essential piece of equipment, and even carry a spare on long trips! On my Friendship Sloop we sized the inverter to work with a Nespresso machine, but when I plugged it in, the Nespresso machine could not power up properly. We called the inverter supplier who immediately said: You must have a Nespresso or a Keurig machine as both of those brands require true sine wave inverters. As soon as we got a true sine wave inverter, the machine worked.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  10. P46-Curaçao

Hi Maldwin, which inverter have you bought?
  11. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

I will let you know tomorrow, but I know it is the exact same size as the previous inverter. The only difference is that it produces a true sine wave instead of an artificial one.
    Best,
    Maldwin
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Those over priced machines are for people who don't know how to make real coffee...

:)

You may as well wear pink pants and fly a rainbow flag :)
  13. maldwin

maldwin Senior Member

You are correct in saying that an individual can make better coffee than a Nespresso capsule can, but the Nespresso machine is faster, more consistent, never makes a mess, and the capsules last almost indefinitely. Indeed, I have been able to make espresso with my Nespresso machine when I was to hung over to turn the light on!
    Best,
    Maldwin
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have an old digital clock on my bed side.
    It went ape stuff on the old square wave inverter. We also ate some coffee makers with a clock in it.
    That ole inverter finally fried years ago. New inverter (true sin wave) works fine for everything.

My old digital clock (20+ year old) still has a problem with my gen-sets. It needs perfect 60 htz to keep time. 58 to 62 htz, depending on load, varys a minute or two, + or - each day deployed on the gen-set.

It's the only digital displayed clock I can operate (old stubborn school).
    Da wife's bedside clock has worked with everything and keeps perfect time (crystal controlled), I can never shut that **** thing off in the mornings or set it. Takes after her I think.

We had one micro wave fried also on the square wave inverter, it took a year. Glad to see that beast gone.

Our artificial reef of fried equipment is on the west side of Great Sail Cay. 150 feet from the beach where there is a gap in the brush. Gargoyle #1, broken plates, equipment and that fried micro wave.
  15. JWY

JWY Senior Member

+1