Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Perko

Need some advice

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by sheraton, Dec 4, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. sheraton

sheraton Member

I am looking at a late 1976 POST with 671n's . Does anybody know if the deck was shoeboxed over the hull or did the deck ended at the hull? Is there anything else I should look for? I know the boat is old, I don't mind the work as my last boat was a 1968 37' POST. Thanks
  2. shawn

shawn New Member

Hi Have rebuild a 75 and a 77 I still have the 77. The deck comes out to the side of the hull. What to look for are cracks and water intursion. 76 they built the boat with plywood on the deck and the house was mahogany with a glass overlay on some. The bridge was glass. The fuel tanks are a issue ,some were built with black iron or steel which came apart under the cockpit floor. If there is anything else i can answer let me know see if i can help.

Shawn
  3. sheraton

sheraton Member

Shawn, Thanks for the reply. Went to look at the boat yesterday, been on land now for three years, needs a ton of work. I'll be making a offer this week and we will see what happens. Pat
  4. shawn

shawn New Member

Hi Pat: Love to see some pictures. I been down the Jersey Shore and seen some older Posts on the hard. Where is the one you have looked at I might have seen it.
    Shawn
  5. sheraton

sheraton Member

Shawn, the one I looked at is in Rhode Island, been on land 3 years now. I am interested in it but I want to spin the engines before I make a offer. It needs a lot of t.l.c. , I would like to save it from more disrepair. If I can figure out how to post a picture here I will of my 37 POST. Pat
  6. shawn

shawn New Member

I keep mine in Westery RI in the summer. Where is it? I might have seen it. I keep in contact with a guy that picked a 75 up in Point Plesent that had been on the hard for 7 yrs, he dropped two batteries in and it fired right up. If you come through Old Saybrook Ct that's where mine is for the winter. You are welcome to look at what I have done to a 77.
    Shawn
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Private club?

We would all love to see more of what you did. Were a project sharing family here.

Just trying to make a fun poke. But you Post kids are great at what all do on your ships. I get a bang from catching the pictures, videos and stories.
    ,rc
  8. sheraton

sheraton Member

Hey Shawn, I drove right thru there last Saturday. The boat is up in Kingston, R.I., it's rough but worth saving. The engines look good, but have not run or been spun over in three years, that is my only concern. There is a little bit of rot in the cabinside due to a clothes dryer on the rear deck, not a problem. Any wood work or glass work will be done by De Rouvilles Boatshop here in N.J., checkout his web site also on Facebook. If your friends boat was powder blue it was at Johnson Brothers in Point Pleasant, it was there a long time. I'll post pictures of my 37 as soon as I figure it out. Pat
  9. shawn

shawn New Member

Hey Pat, I think I know that boat. I bet the engines will bar right over. That was the one at Johnson Brothers he got it fired up and used it all summer with no problems. There was a 78 here in Ct that was abandon for years it was sold for 15k. Same deal put it in the water got it running and it went to NJ had a tower on it. Good luck hope it works out for you. I hate to see the old ones rot away. Let me if you come through again.
    Shawn
  10. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

The thing about two cycle diesels is that a cylinder is open to the exhaust at any time. So having 1 or 2 cylinders potentially rust can happen with the air flow for 3 years. You may want to consider using a large socket setup on the front pulley and turn the engines over by hand first. Just to make sure nothing is really stuck in place. The torque from the starter can damage things if it is frozen. 671n's are pretty tough so this may not be the case. Really depends how interested you are in the boat. Since you don't own it yet, you have the luxury to walk away if the starter does cause damage. You can also remove the airbox inspection covers and look at each cylinders as you manually rotate each engine over.
  11. sheraton

sheraton Member

Thanks Shawn I''ll keep in touch. Pat
  12. sheraton

sheraton Member

13. sheraton

sheraton Member

Thanks for the info, I am going to make a offer as long as the engines turn over. i will let you know how I make out. Thanks Pat
  14. Puttalong

Puttalong New Member

...remember reading this....I'm still on pins and needles.
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

What was the outcome?
  16. sheraton

sheraton Member

Sorry for the really late response to my last posting. After months of going back and forth with the bank, bankruptcy court, and a lawyer from the bank I walked away from the whole thing. So I sat out for a few months, visited a few marinas here in N.J. , found and bought a 1986 41' Viking. Great boat, good layout. So now I am on the Viking site but still visit the POST site. I have a picture of my old POST hanging in the Viking. Pat
  17. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

If you can cant afford a Post , You will never be able to afford to keep a Viking....I wish I had a few of your months lol
  18. sheraton

sheraton Member

I own the Viking, paid cash. The broker was very happy!!