Click for Bering Click for Alexseal Click for Lurssen Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums

Navigator Window Trim

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by gr8trn, Jan 15, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gr8trn

gr8trn Member

My boat, 2009 Californian Veneti 50, is experiencing pilot house window trim bubbling. The pilot house fixed windows port and starboard are trimmed around the periphery with what seems to be black vinyl sticker. I thought is was a trim vinyl to hide the mullions. I believe from UV exposure and I am afraid that a boat detailer went over them with a buffer and that heat stretched and bubbled the vinyl.

I have yet to have a auto window tint person or vehicle wrap person willing to come do boat estimates. I did run across a yacht captain of a 102' Westport that has what seems to the same window trim and bubbling who has rolls of black vinyl on hand for repairing his as needed. I was unable to ever get to know his material source or removal and application technique...

Just today on a Navigator facebook group I was informed by an owner that his and several other Navigators have the same problem and that it is not cosmetic and that the windows need to be replaced to the tune of $40 large for his pilot house. He even went on to say that his contact with Crows Nest Yachts in Seattle have indicated that they may be able to get an experienced Navigator technician, as Crows Nest is the dealer of record for the defunct Navigator, if there were enough vessels committed to the repair work.

I am hoping @PacBlue can chime in as well as he is a former Navigator associate.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

15937104_10154249029719142_8027164978241367873_o.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2017
  2. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

PM sent
  3. Seaduck

Seaduck New Member

The vinyl film is common with many manufacturers. Taylor Made also uses a similar approach. 3M makes a Black Window Film. I have used this on a Jefferson MY and it looks great and has lasted now 6 years. Go to Amazon and search for 3M window film
  4. Greg Coleman

Greg Coleman New Member

The product is Sika Primer and is applied with a small sponge type roller as a black border on the inside of windows on Navigator Yachts and Californian Yachts. Over time, UV exposure will cause it to bubble and peel. Besides it's aesthetic purpose of blocking view of where the window meets the frame, the primer also helps in bonding the glass to the window frame. A common caulking used is Sikaflex 296.

I only know this because I recently had to have a window repaired. Anyone can apply the primer. The hard part is remounting the window. Not inexpensive.
  5. gr8trn

gr8trn Member

Thanks for posting your experience.
  6. gr8trn

gr8trn Member

Thanks for this info.