Click for Comfort Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Delta

Navigation Software

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by John B, Mar 1, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. John B

John B Senior Member

I'm looking for recommendations and experience with navigation software.

Here's where I am and what I am curious about....

My boat has Northstar GPS plotter's at upper and lower helms as well as Simrad GPS Plotter w/ radar at each helm. Both are tied into the boat's autopilot.

In addition I have Nobeltec software on my laptop. I primarily use the laptop to plan trips (off my boat) then download the routes and waypoints into the Northstar on the boat.

I use the Simrad primrily as radar, Northstar for navigation and laptop for planning trips. Laptop is also interfaced into GPS antenna on boat so can be used as a backup as well. Simrad is also backup navigation system.

I am not looking for a PC based system to run the boat with, but primarily to do my trip planning and download to the boat's navigation systems.

The Nobeltec software does what its supposed to, but there are some things about it that are either annoying or downright problems with it.

Biggest problem is it is almost impossible to get tech support - called and emailed and no responses - will have to try again if I don't junk their product.

Downloading to GPS/Plotter naming conventions are a real nuisance. Northstar handles short names. Nobeltec has no config for naming and duplicates names sequentiallly on each route. So each time I make a new route I need to rename all waypoints before upload - otherwise, the Northstar will keep the old name but assign new location. This should be in the Nobeltec.

Much of the help system in Nobeltec doesn't seem to exist. Many features are 'kinda there' but not really. For example they have info on ports - well most of it was never updated - you see notes for someone to call back from years ago and never did. This wouldn't be so bad if you could update the data yourself - well you can't.

Major issue for me is the non existant tech support and the cumbersome management of routes and waypoints.

On the Northstar the one thing frustrating is they don't have a set up as a repeater. So each helm is independent and you need either two nav cartridges or switch them if you move between helms. This also requires switchover between units for autopilot. You can upload/download waypoints and routes between units.

I'm nervous going to PC based nav system and like the hardware on the boat generally (Northstar is very easy to use). I am too nervous of seeing the blue screen of death on a PC based system, just when you need it most...

So I am primarily looking for recommendations on the software side for trip planning to download to the boat's nav system and has better route and waypoint management. I suspect the Nobeltec is one of the better options, but I think I would toss it in a second if there was a better solution.

Thanks for any feedback and experience with this topic

John
  2. rbmitchell

rbmitchell New Member

I run Maptech "Offshore Navigator" which is misleading since it works fine all the way up the Hudson River past Albany. I don't plot waypoints in advance. I look at the chart to see that the boat is going in the direction I want and push the button on the autopilot.

I have plotted things like the race course for the Key West Offshore Power Boat races so I can avoid entering the course. And I have used "auto create route" to plot the safe entry through Little Egg Harbor (NJ) inlet where the CG doesn't plot the ATONs. I've also run a line from Great Bay back to a creek where the Crab Shack is located. All that is really no-brainer stuff.

The computer is below and is repeated on the bridge with an LCD monitor and trackball. The computer froze up once and flashed a warning that it was time to dead reckon. That's once in five+ years.

The Maptech also shows tide status, current direction and speed and marinas although I suspect the marina stuff is only those that chose to pay in. The Maptech software has kept me off the bottom from Nantucket to Key West.

The down side? My pencil and paper nav skills are ruined. The anchor is my backup.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

John,

I dispatched an e-mail to Nobeltec and asked if they might be able to address your concerns. Hopefully they will join in the discussion and help resolve the issue.

I have met with representatives from their company in the past and they have been very informative.

Carl
  4. John B

John B Senior Member

Carl,

I appreciate your help. Will be very interesting if they do get involved directly.

I called tech support and emailed the same day six weeks ago and still haven't heard back by phone or email. Per their messages and all I was supposed to have a response within like two days.

I'm just happy that the issue wasn't a critical one - as in: system is dead, what do I do!

My problem was unlocking one of their charts - did a bunch of them and one bombed - definitely a bug on their side in generating the key to unlock/load. Customer service wouldn't even talk to me - sent me directly to tech support.
  5. oldgit

oldgit New Member

Hi All, This is my first post, so please forgive me if I don't get it right first time. From the hardware mentioned, you guys must have BIG boats! Where I am on the East Coast of England, most of the boating is "Seat of the pants" stuff. I graduated to power from sail some 12 years ago when the creaky joints started to complain at winch grinding. Back to the point (forgive an old man), I use a laptop hitched up to a Garmin GPS, and I use chart plotting software called Ozi Explorer. It was designed for Aussies 4 wheel offroading in the outback, but it works very well at sea. You scan your paper charts (technically illegal, but for your own use I think it's OK - safety at sea and all that!). I have software to lace the scans together seamlessly ,and the whole shebang costs peanuts! You can get Ozi Explorer here:-
    http://www.oziexplorer.com/
    Kind regards, and fair winds to all,
    Sincerely,
    Richard.
  6. Last Mango

Last Mango New Member

Caveat Emptor! What looks impressive isn’t always the case.
    Purchasing Garmin software for the GPS/computer limits you to two units per license. Therefore, if one wants a GPS on the binnacle, one in the navigation station, and one for the dink, one must purchase another software package, or twice the price.
    Further, if you “Upgrade” to a new unit, have a “Problem” with a current one, or “Purchase” another one, Garmin will not transfer your ownership rights.
    Scenario: suppose you’re in foreign waters when a catastrophic failure occurs. You can send it in for repairs—IF you can mail it, and WAIT until it returns. You cannot simply purchase another unit or transfer to a backup unit you already have.
    Be cautious with Garmin.
  7. Qocean

Qocean New Member

I have used Nobeltec and was very happy with their software this summer. The only complaint I have it that it would sometimes “auto scroll” to Antarctica. But I think that it had more to do with the integrated wireless mouse that we had on board. Nobeltec does have a good web site, but I do understand the concerns about their tec support. We where still on warranty with the boat, so we went through the dealer.

One thing that I do like about the program is the ability to work online with purchases of charts and weather overlay.

EG
  8. rbmitchell

rbmitchell New Member

I would encourage you to trade the mouse for a track ball. I experienced the same "instability" although not the the extremes of the earth.
  9. John B

John B Senior Member

That is where my main technical problem occurred. I bought a chart kit went to their web site, got the key and it can't be loaded in. I did several at the same time and one bombed. It is a problem with their software/web site.

Well, I can't get a response from tech support - I tried via phone and email. Will try again, but from my perspective I should not need to keep trying when I have gone through their recommended support venues.
  10. basilnet

basilnet New Member

John, I have a laptop and remote monitor on the bridge the same as you. I have been using Maptech for the last year from Rhode Island to florida and the bahamas. I did have a couple glitches that were solved by their support very efficiently. With their direction I downloaded some updates from their website. My only issue with support is that it is Mon.-Friday 9-5pm..bankers hours. Maptech has been a good product for me. chuck basil
  11. Qocean

Qocean New Member

In response to the wireless mouse, we had both the wireless unit, and a regular mouse. But it would auto-scroll even when the wireless unit was turned off. I even took the “ball” out of the regular mouse to make sure that it was not the source of the problem. The tec guy loaded some “software” updates, and told us not to keep too many charts open; not much help.

It is weird that tec support did not get back to you. As I said we were working through a warrantee. Nobeltec as a navigational software is the pricy option, maptech is the cheaper software, and I have not seen or used it personally. For the price you should get the tec support!
  12. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

To the top...
  13. Fitzy

Fitzy New Member