Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Abeking

MTU vs Cat. Diesel

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Fastimz, May 15, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Fastimz

Fastimz New Member

I want the opinions of which is prefered. Im looking for maint. cost, reliability, and longevity! Let me know what you know. Thanks
  2. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

I'll take CATS any day; MTU = $$
  3. Fastimz

Fastimz New Member

That is what I was thinking myself. I have done some research on the MTU and it looks like they have a lot of HP but they are not lasting even close to the time of the CATS.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You should probably state which engines you are considering, just to be fair. I m always weary of general blanket statements like cat is better than MTU, or searay than bayliner or ford than Chevy :)

Personally my experience with cats is limited to 1400 hp 3412Es and they ve been great. Service costs for the 1000 and 3000 hr service has been very low (about $2500 to 3000 per engine)
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Considering how many motors they each put out it's hard to compare engine to engine. So sometimes blanket statements are all there is. I've found the maintenance and repair costs considerably cheaper with CATS and service options much more plentiful, at least in the US. Cruising area is something else to consider. In Europe it could be an entirely different scenario. On newer MTUs I've had faults that stopped me, and darned if I knew what the cause was from the display. A short rest and she was going again.
    Back in the late 90's I remember CAT putting out some bad motors (I think it was in the 3208 series) and a guy I knew lost one on the way south. CAT had a guy there the next day swapping out motors and had a replacement for his other motor in Miami when he arrived there. I was impressed.
  6. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

And then there is John Deere, an engine I have been doing some research on. 575Hp
  7. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I've not heard one bad word said against JD's yet.

Marine Brochure
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You generally find those work horses on trawlers, sailboats and fishing boats. Not glamorous, but they seem to run forever. I'm not so sure about their marine service representation, but I expect my JD tractor to outlive me.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The 3208 is an older workhorse than that.

The troublesome series was the 3176 ad CAT did an exemplary job of repairing many of them out of warranty.

Another less than successful engine from Peoria has been the C9
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I worked on a boat with 3208s back in 91 so I know they go back a ways. I could be wrong on the model with the problem though. Word I got was that CAT was under contract with Sea Ray and several other manufacturers and pushed the motors out to satisfy those even though they knew there was a problem on the line. Like you said and my friend experienced though, they were johnny on the spot at taking care of the problems.
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

If I recall, the funky series of CATs was the one were the block was cast in Belgium. A bit porous and blamie for the lawyers to scam.

Other than that, not many other CAT products ever went expensively wrong.

As Kafue raised the idea of alternatives, may I add Scania Marine.

Propulsion - scania.com
  12. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Catarpillar lost a few friends among professional boaters (workboats) in Europe during the last 10 years, due to lowering quality and decreasing service. And this counts even more for the bigger MAK engines (Cat company in Germany). We have changed (for newbuilds) to MTU (ironman) and MAN. But for a pleasure boat, to be used in the USA, I would still go for Caterpillar.

We had maintenance on an MTU emergency genset in the USA. They asked a astronomical price for that repair and it took my technical department some blackmailing (unfriendly phone calls), in order to make MTU participate on that costs.

Will say, NYCAP123 is absolutely correct, the area of usage is very important for the selection of the engine manufacturer. That counts for maintenance, price and avaibility of spareparts and labour.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

They're great diesels. Parts are reasonable. However their horsepower to weight ratio is very poor compared to others, making them a poor choice for most planing hulls.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

MTU tries ANYTHING to try to get out of warrantying a rebuild I had a set of Series 80's, that had 200 hours on them and were under 2 years old and mtu tried everything to get out of paying for new aftercoolers when it was a known problem. Another issues was a rebuild by their dealer on a 12v71 with 3 months and 150 hours on the rebuild......we went back and forth with them for a month while it was getting rebuilt, and the owner ended up eating $14k of that rebuild.

The series from CAT everyone is thinking of with many issues were the 3126's, and one iteration had blocks cast in France that were too weak as well and came apart/split. Cat did end up warrantying all of them even out of warranty.
  15. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

J.

JD's and also here in the UK we have JCB motors, are of similar power to weight ratios.

Look at the Scania Motors I posted above, they kick ass.
  16. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I've noticed this with quality of replacement parts in the past 2-3 years. We've had a number of injector failures after relatively few hours (one right out of the box), and have had failure of 2 heat exchangers within 1500 hrs of running time.
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Ken, was this on ME's or Gensets?

I am not a fan of rebuilt injectors these days and would either go for new or upgrade to new.

As for the heat exchangers what went wrong with them?
  18. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

The material (rubber) at the end-caps broke down, causing fluid crossover. This has happened twice in the past 2 years, although the first time was after about 6 years of wear.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Did you by any chance change the coolant when the seals were replaced after the 6 yr run?

If so did you change it to something different to what had previously been used?
  20. Fastimz

Fastimz New Member

Anything specific on the Cat C-32's or C-30's. In the 2005-2010 range? Thanks for the good info so far. The engines will be used mainly North American coastal waters and carribean. It seems like the Cats are easier to maintain than the MTU in these waters.