Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Cross

MTU s60 series

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Invictus, Nov 22, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Invictus

Invictus New Member

Hi everybody,
    can anyone give me some feedback about MTU 825 hp Engine S60 Series?
    I'm approaching to buy a boat with a pair of them on so I wish konw more informations about.
    Thx !
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The series 60 is a solid engine. Most Detroit shops can work on it and you may avoid the MTU bend over maneuver (twice the labor). The only bad thing I have heard about was the exhaust Manifold had (HAD) some kind of problem that I can not expand on here for you.
    Of Course, Get a complete engine survey. Try to get a oil sample before the seller changes the oil.
    Tell us more about the ship also.
  3. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

I've also heard that they are a rock solid motor which makes me wonder why we haven't seen more of them on the water?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran a 2006 boat with them. With just over 200 hours both aftercoolers were leaking and replaced under warranty......the boat was 2 years old and they barely fell into the 2 year warranty. They were good running motors, but, not very torquey. For example with full fuel, 80% load was about 65 rpms lower than what it was with 1/2 a tank of fuel.....this was on a 55' express. They ran smooth and quiet.
  5. Invictus

Invictus New Member

The boats I'm considering are a pair of 51' Riviera Convertible. Now I've a beautiful 1997 38' Golden Egg cat 3126 equipped, but I wanna grow up...
    Unfortunately here there are no many young 50 footers sport fisherman on the pre-owned market, so I identified these two 51.
    The first one is a 2007 production with 825 hp MTU engines, the second one is a 2005 with CAT c-18. Both are under 400 hrs.
    Probably the second owner will not consider a trade on my boat...
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Both are good, but the CAT C18's are my favorite engine...... They burn 75GPH (both) at 80% load but are 1000hp. The MTU Series 60's will burn 65gph (both) at 80% load.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yes, both are good engines. I would also lean toward the Cats.
  8. Invictus

Invictus New Member

...having a pair of Cats 3126 on my boat, I also should prefer c-18 engines...
    Shortly I'll survey both boats to focus on a equilibrate transition

Thank's everybody for feedback!
  9. JWY

JWY Senior Member

So what's the status?
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Go with the C 18 power, they have to be amongst the best things out of Peoria in a longtime.
  11. Invictus

Invictus New Member

Hi, the engines have 400 hrs on them in five years. They are 2007 production.
    Saturday I'll be on board for sea trial... Let's see...
  12. Invictus

Invictus New Member

Hi,
    So the status...I like them. They run very smooth and aren't expensive in fuel consumption; they need 50 gph @ 24 kts and about 62 gph @ 27 kts (85% load) with 5 blade props.
    Generally speaking I think they are good engines and young (only 400 hrs on them), but engine room needs further maintenance work.
  13. Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959 Member

I personally would recommend the S-60. Less cost of ownership. Easier to work on.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

In my experience the C 18 is a very simple engine to work on the occasional time one needs to work on one.

The Charge Air Cooler cleaning and pressure test every 1000 hrs only takes a few hours once you have done it a few times.

If you are going to pull it and have it cleaned and tested elsewhere it's even easier.
  15. Invictus

Invictus New Member

Hi,
    now I can say really, after this summer and after 500 NM, which is the status of my engine.
    I must say that the MTU S60 have been a great surprise for me:
    low fuel consumption, almost zero oil consumption, run very smooth and very quite.
    Speaking of numbers:
    - fuel consumption in 500 NM (about 30 engine hrs): 3600 liters (951 Us gallons);
    about 55 percent of the hours were made @cruising speed between 23 and 25 knots, respectively, between 1750 rpm and 1900 rpm.
    Costs:
    - I paid about 3500 € for annual standard maintenance and others 3500 € for preventive interventions such as general check-up engines for a very healthy engine.

Now I have to arrange the display engine because both have a fracture in transparent plastic cover. The previous owner replaced because they were never still work perfectly but I'm afraid of flooding, so I want to repair or replace them. The problem that makes them pay as MTU to 4 carats of diamonds!
    Does anyone know if you can find used or cheap?

thanks
    Luca
  16. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

I am newer to this site than your original post and do not know where you can find the displays cheap. But keep us posted on your endeavors. I have a crack in one on a Hatteras that I run. I also wanted to share some Series 60 Experience. I don't know if you have to get in the engine room while underway / under load for any reason, but if you do be very careful about contact with the charge air cooler cover. It gets hot! The Charge air cooler leaking sea water into the air system issue was big and bad for this engine and Cat's C-18. One of our local ferry operators with a fleet of over 30 boats powered by 3 0r 4 3406 E had constant issues requiring the local Cat dealer to have 3 8 hour shifts working round the clock to keep up with C.A.C. and other minor issues. Detroit was at a point, with local party fishing boats powered by 2,3 and 4 Series 60s, of changing out the C.A.C.s prior to every 1000 (it may have been as low as 600) running hours until a permanent redesign of the failing coolers was reached. In many cases failures happened before the change out. Check with your dealer servicing your engines. You should have the new style coolers which resolved both manufacturer's problems. The series 60s and Cats I am referring to were rated at 600hp.
  17. Invictus

Invictus New Member

Hi,
    my s60 have 835 hp each and are 2007 production with about 400 hrs on them.
    Many times I gone down in the engine room while boat was cruising, but I never noticed that charger air cooler cover could be so hot fortunately!! NeXT time I'll pay more attention!!
    One other thing That I really appreciate is that the temperature of the cooling water stabilizes at 70 celsius under load.
  18. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Your post is the first I have seen saying that C18's have this issue with the CAC's

I know that the C9 and some ofthe other smaller ones did have big problems with this and other "features".

Also, you started out using C18's then mention 3406E as similar as they may are not the same unit.

The max T on an un insulated surface 60 Deg C if your vessel is subject to Class, not sure if users of these boats burn easier than others but if you are getting really high temps in excess of manufacturers data I would look for the cause before attempting a cure.