Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Abeking

Mtu engine big problem.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by elmagico, Oct 19, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. elmagico

elmagico New Member

Hi,
    i have mtu 2000 m84 engine in my boat. during engine operation, the fuel temperature is so high above 100 degree and there is a leak from high pressure pump bosch cp9. i have replaced the pump cp9 but still the same problem. i want to replace ecu from my engine by another ecu from another boat because i think that there is a problem with pwm signal to suction control valve in the pump.

is that possible to replace the adec plate (ecu) from another boat to my boat or i would find a system problems? what else can cause the common rail pump cp9 leak?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

2000 and 4000 Series engines are well known to have HP Fuel pump failures that fills the double wall sections with fuel. I have had a 16V 4000 going at 100% power stop with no oil pressure because of a HP Fuel pump filling the sump with fuel.
    Your fuel temperature problems are most likely related to the condition of the fuel cooler not the state of the HP Pump.
  3. elmagico

elmagico New Member

ok thanks, what about replacing ecu from another boat is that ok ?
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Just call an MTU dealer with a trained technician with the computer. Don't fool around on a $500,000 engine.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Have you verified the fuel temp with a IR gun?
    Start handling the ECU from another boat, you may be calling in a tech to fix or replace both.
    There are to many variables on the engines, the bus to the controls, clutches, monitors and more.

In the old days it was easy to move parts around and trouble shoot bugs. It's not the old days any more my friend.
    Call in the tech.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

There is an EPROM suited to a particular engine number within the ECM. This might not be enough to stop the engine starting but it might cause a lot more problems.

The situation is not dissimilar to trying to use a HDD that's been in one PC in another. If you don't get the "Operating System not found" screen you might get it to start but it will throw a lot of errors.
  7. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

You should never do that. An ECU is programmed for a specific engine serial number and will not be compatible with a different engine even if the engine is the same model. You might be able to start the engine with a different ECU however I am certain you will experience numerous alarms and faults unless you reload your engine's specific ECU software which only an MTU dealer can perform.

I see you are located in Egypt. Simply contact MCV, the local MTU dealer. If you require their contact details, let me know.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's even EASIER! You just plug the laptop in and It tells you what's wrong in this situation.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I am under the impression that you need some MTU software to extract anything more after plugging in a PC than extreme frustration
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

What I meant to say is the MTU laptop.
  11. Mark7even

Mark7even New Member

Not sure whether still relevant but high fuel temp on MTU 8v 2000 engines is a good pointer towards a problematic fuel pump. We operate a fleet of these engines and its a good indicative of pending failure.
  12. Talis

Talis New Member

Think to offer on twin V10 M93 2000.
    Hard to believe MTU fuel pump has faulty pressure sensors unable to keep line stability. Let alone push fuel thru seals filling th oil sump.

Cummins truck engines with hydrogen injector (dual) for added diesel burn efficiency, have ceramic piston/ sleeves giving 1million mile reliable push to a 50 ton load..

Yet these MTU s have HP fuel to sump leaks ? Obviously technical weak design needs solutions..
    Exactly where is that leak?
    Thru a seal perhaps needing torque check or gasket stamped from metal?

Other than flaw fix.. is software engine ECU mod management.. to change O2 sensor / injector open time to microsecond resol or is that cam shaft mechanical ?

Cant find injector type is this direct injection ? Thanks.. T
  13. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Talis,

We have a few engine experts on the forum but when a post is hard to read, it may get skipped over. For those who are not MTU experts, please decipher the Enigma above.

Attached Files:

Capt Ralph and SeaEric like this.