Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder

MTU coolant hi temperatures

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Andy tug, Jun 28, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Andy tug

Andy tug New Member

I'm getting highs temperature alarms and can not find a solution. I cleaned the heat exchanger and bleed the air out. I can see any external leaks and I've not got any high lube oil alarm associated with this or charged air as well. No additional oil or coolant added. Any suggestions out there?
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Most common problem is a plastic bag on the intake..?
  3. Andy tug

Andy tug New Member

No I don't think so the engine is closed plate cooler type that has a raw side along side a coolant side which flows through heat exchanger.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

So you're saying you are keel cooled? Hows your tubing on the hull? Have you had a diver clean all of the barnacles and growth off of it?

If it's raw water cooled, first thing to check and change (if they haven't been done in 2 years or 200 hours) are your raw water impellors.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I do not read the guys post as a statement that he is keel cooled, I read that he is saying raw water flows through one side and coolant through the other.

It may come as a surprise to him but these type coolers get fouled with marine growth just like a shell and tube one.
  6. Andy tug

Andy tug New Member

This a 16 cycl. MTU 6000 hp tug it has a raw water side that that run adjacent to coolant side that is a closed system through a plate cooler. My thought is that Hi temp coolant alarm is the possible result of faulty/worn fresh water pump or thermostat not upping as designed this condition only happens when hooked up. Any other thoughts?
  7. Andy tug

Andy tug New Member

Also plate cooler recently clean so no problem there.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Is it a single engine installation or does the Tug have two of these engines? Is there anyway you can see the SW flow that is being pushed through the cooler, are the sea strainers clean, are all valves in the system fully open?

Was it the engine overheating that led to you cleaning the plate cooler in the first place?
  9. Andy tug

Andy tug New Member

I think I found the problem the outlet side of raw water piping that goes overboard has a valve. This valve was previously set by the former engineer and thought to be in the so call sweet spot however it was closed down to much not allowing for enough heat transfer.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

It is often the simplest thing that causes the hardest to find problems. Glad to read you got it sorted.