Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta

MS Releases Windows Fix - SpyAxe Warning

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Arniev, Jan 6, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Microsoft just released a fix for a serious security vulnerability in the way Windows renders Windows Meta File images (WMF patch). This flaw in Windows is considered serious. Which is probably why Microsoft came out with the patch today, instead of waiting till next Tuesday to release it under their Monthly Updates.
    It is recommended that Windows users download and install this software patch ASAP.
    For additional information, you can check this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS06-001.mspx

Hope this will be of help to everyone.
    :)
  2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Do you have another reference site address for this info as this link does not go thru??
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Is that what went into the WIndows Update this morning? All my computers did an install and restart when I booted up today.
  4. JonS

JonS Senior Member

I would assume so Kevin as mine did the same this morning too.
  5. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

6. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

New SpyAxe clone!

Several YF members and friends were previously infected by a spyware named SpyAxe, that was disguised as anti-spyware.

There is a new, spyware that is almost a clone of the nasty SpyAxe malware.
    This spyware/malware also disguises itself as anti-spyware (like SpyAxe).
    It is called SpywareStrike.

It is downloaded with spyware just like it's clone SpyAxe. The SpywareStrike website is identical to the SpyAxe site except for the name.

Domain Name: SPYWARESTRIKE.COM

The domain is hosted in the Ukraine.

Since this spyware/malware is a clone of SpyAxe, it can be very nasty and difficult to remove, once your system is infected.
    So all YF members and friends are advised to exercise caution before downloading any new or unfamiliar anti-spyware. It may turn out to be a spyware/malware posing as anti-spyware.
  7. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The first problem people (especially the non-computer-savvy types) will have is that they see the Windows logo so think it's all good. When I got this the first time I clicked the X in the popup window, but the SpyAxe installer went ahead and installed anyways. It seems like a no-win deal... even after I right-clicked the Windows logo to stop the install, nothing happened except that it opened up the SpyAxe website. If the clone works the same way, you're screwed once you get infected. System Restore worked for me last time... hopefully the Windows fix will come fast enough this time to avoid getting caught by it at all.

For the record, here's what SpyAxe looked like:

Attached Files: