Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Motor cranking problem

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Spoiledroten, Jul 2, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Spoiledroten

Spoiledroten New Member

I have a 28 foot Bertram with 305's in it the starboard side motor cranks over really hard motor is free but seems like there's something in the tranny holding it from cranking over fast enough to start has anybody had any problems like this before thank you
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Chevy SB 305s? Probably with a Borg Velvet Drive 71 (maybe 72).
    Can you see the shaft turn? Can you parallel the batteries? Does she start?
    The borg clutch has the oil pump on the front of the assembly. Usually, the motor is running before enough pressure is built up to apply any pressure to the clutches.
    It's a simple pack and unless you noted any issues the last time it ran, it should not be an issue. BUT, like some small TDs, the pack could stick in forward.
    If you don't see the shaft turning, it's not your problem.
    Any previous history or the last time anybody was in the bilges that could of leaned on a battery cable?
    I'm thinking a bad battery cable, weak batteries or the starter is dragging.
  3. Spoiledroten

Spoiledroten New Member

Battery is not the problem I have three in series and still drags I have new starter I just got the boat and never heard the motors running but the port side motor runs great and they only have 450 hr on them i never had a velvet drive off before is it just a flywheel clutch and preacher plates and I took off the belts to make sure is was not the pump and the shaft doesn't tern wen I am trying to crank it thank you
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Has the fuel tank been replaced? If not the ethanol could perhaps be dissolving the fiberglass tank into the gasoline and gumming up the engine.
  5. f3504x4ps

f3504x4ps Member

If it is turning over very slow and you have a new starter as stated, three batteries, have you checked the oil for water in it? Is the oil milky looking? If not then I would remove all spark plugs, squirt a little oil in each cylinder and try to crank over with no spark plugs. If she still turns over hard then you have other issues possible water injestion, bent rod, bad bearings cam chain rusted. At that point pull heads or engine for a complete disassemble and inspection.
  6. Spoiledroten

Spoiledroten New Member

I took the heads off and still terns over hard like there is something on the fly wheel I will pull the transmission next thanks
  7. justold

justold Member

Do a voltage drop test on the battery cables.