Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

Mooring Rope

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Wanderer, Dec 26, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Wanderer

Wanderer New Member

Where can I find a guide for which size/material/construction to select for mooring lines. I am looking for a +50m yacht.
  2. YES!

YES! Senior Member

Mooring lines are significant to the type of mooring for the vessel. Your permanent (home port) lines must have chafing gear (leather, plastic) placed at any areas of possible friction across ppilings or quay edges. Your transit lines that are used as you cruise the world should have leather bound eyes whipped into one end of each line and the bitter end whipped to prevent unraveling as well.

The rule of thumb is 1/8th inch diameter for every 10 feet of vessel, though this was estimate used before yachts came in 300 foot LOAs. Mooring lines still must be manageable by the deck hands, so more lines are run instead of using sizes beyond the heaving capacity of mortal men.

Yacht generally use the megabraid or double braid nylon lines (looks like they are woven). They come in several colors, but I prefer to use lines that are the same color as the hull. Black lines crisscrossing white topsides doies not appear elegant to me. Black for black hull, white for white hull and blue for blue hull. Matter of fact I do my fender the same way so that I do not show big black blobs laying down the sides of my glsitenimng white hull.

I am really not sexist, but I like my lines like I like my women - with their bitter ends whipped and their eyes in leather.

National Marine in Ft. Lauderdale does a fine job at a fair price as suppliers of custom-made mooring lines in all colors, sizes and finishes - and I do not get paid by them! They even ship worldwide.

For lengths, make sure to get bow and stern lines about 1/2 the LOA and springs about 2/3 the LOA. Make sure to pick up a couple of 10 meter lengths for those short stern and midship breasts that can bury you if there is too much tail.

Sorry if I rambled, but it looked as if you were not going to get an answer after 50 views.

Good luck,

Stan