Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

Moonen "Northlander" Review

Discussion in 'Moonen Yacht' started by Yacht News, Feb 23, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

This is an outstanding review, as per usual for the YF standard. Kudos goes out to Carl and Chuck as usual for their artistic and colourful writing, keeping it interesting. Well two things immediately jump out about this yacht that the review covered. The Atrium skylight, who would have thought that jettisoned upwards on its telescopic pedestal-if you wish. It looks so purposeful yet so well designed to conceal, initially, its secondary function, which is to allows access to and from the interior via the atrium. The colour palette is soft and easy on the eyes and a bit playful with the inset tiles.

Another element is the bridge/wheelhouse. I have never seen a 'dashboard' like that before, this is a first for me, and definitely it is fresh and great to see, a great change from the normal outlay of the monitors and other vital sensors, very space ship indeed, maybe the captain would forget he is in command of a yacht!

Generally, the interior is what you would expect from Art-Line although, from my comparatively limited experience, on "Northlander", their work seems a bit subdued compared to other projects they worked on, a more matured appearence on this Moonen. Anyways, I am not writing a review myself, but just pointing out the highlights of the review for me personally!
  2. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

My 2 cents:

I was pretty impressed with the interior of this vessel. The outside is somewhat subdued, not really a stand-out looker... but once you get inside... wow. The interior is not what I was expecting.

Kudos to Moonen on a great build and to Carl and Chuck on a great review.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Because YF doesn't have the financial resources of a magazine, I have to be very selective in the boats we cover. While I try to focus on boats that are interesting, unique or exciting in the market, I'm also adimant about covering builders that are deserving of the exposure we provide. Allow me to explain...

There are a number of builders we don't cover and there are many reasons. If I have reservations about the build quality, the engineering or the long term viability of the product - both in materials and marketplace - I simply move on. There are other reasons too, such as builders who are uncooperative or in some cases, the information and experience of YF members as a result of dealing with certain builders.

Moonen did an outstanding job with the new 124' and the people behind the organization deserve equal praise. We're proud to have Moonen present here, but this has nothing to do with our coverage. Moonen, like every other builder who maintains banners on YF, is here because the coding underlying YachtForums attracts a large percentage of yacht-related search engine traffic.

We do the reviews because builders deserve better coverage than magazines have provided through the years. Thanks to Ron and Kevin for the kudos. I hope our reviews meet with the same enthusiasm from other YF members as well.
  4. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Great review Carl. Moonen did a great job, Well Done Moonen Crew
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

While the lines of the Moonen don't particularly thrill me, she is a wonderful boat, and impressive in every way. The interior design and decor is outstanding.

As stated earlier, I'll echo kudos to Carl and Company for another outstanding review.
  6. tarek

tarek New Member

Informative,interesting and professional.

Thanks ..
  7. pbekker

pbekker New Member

1 thing to ad

dont forget the sub contractors
    they are always forgotton by thank you words

i work at the subcontrator from moonen (electrions)
    so i have from first hand tat we are forgotton

with out them (all the contractors )
    you only have a casco with a interior
    no paint no plumming no electric ect
  8. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Carl & Chuck - Outstanding! I can only imagine the time and energy it took to write, rewrite, and edit this review to have it present such a detailed and descriptive picture for us. The creativity of the writing, the ability to illustrate, and the avoidance of cliche are all goals hard to achieve in the world of reviews that seem as though they merely substitute the name of the boat. We YF readers appreciate the repeated format, the technical research, and the vivid expressiveness enticing one to say "I want that yacht!"

Thanks for the continued treats.

Judy
  9. Yacht News

I agree with what you are saying. We often do forget the subcontractors. We just look at the completed boat as a whole with out remembering all the steps, processes and people involved to make it happen.
  10. brunick

brunick Senior Member

i agree with that review thing, very nice one :)
    carl, i've got an idea for a review, have you heard of "Sea Force One" ?
    i've seen couple of interior shots and that ship is amazing :D
  11. Yacht News

LOL, Jannick, "Sea Force One's" interior is out of whack, almost as it was designed for aliens. In some quarters, it is very dark, some areas over bright, all the neons and dark woods and overlydone contrasts etc. Not my cup of tea so to speak.
  12. brunick

brunick Senior Member

;)
    i'd like to have that one as my party-boat and maybe even Moonens Northlander as a relaxation boat *g*
    there are some ideas on "sea force one" that i really like, i.e. the balconies at the master suite and a couple of other things :)

but: it's unique, and thats what carl said
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Great Review of a great looking Boat.

I am particularly impressed with that Top Hat thing over the stairs having just spent a lot of time on a system for a similar set of stairs I now something of what goes into a system like that.
  14. Yacht News

I do not think that is the kind of 'unique' Carl was looking for Jannick:(
  15. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member