Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Delta Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn

MINI ISM Code

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Crewagency, May 16, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Crewagency

Crewagency Guest

Anyone here who heared something about this ?

With effect from 1st january 2007 it is a legal requirement under
    Chapter 22 of the revised Large Yacht Code (LY2) to have an operational
    MINI ISM System.

Over 24m Loadline
    Red Ensign Flag
    Operating Commercially

Tried to search Solas, MCA etc but did not really find detailed Infos.

Thanks in advance
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Have you got a copy of the Large Yacht Code to see if Chapter 22 actually says this?

I have heard nothing about a Mini ISM as such just the same old one that's been in force for a while now.
  3. cyd

cyd New Member

ISM requirements for vessels under 500gt

This information is available via the MCA website, www.mcga.gov.uk in the search area enter Large yacht code 2, click on link, this takes you to the pdf file (which is very large), you go to page 114, to see recomendations on how to set up a form of ISM for vessels under the 500gt level, hope this helps.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The online one you pointed out contains less pages than the hard copy one was reading this morning.

It contains the same info however from what I could see.

Page 114 in the latest one is Annex 2, this is an outline of a Safety Management System that SHOULD be adopted by the smaller vessels that are not REQUIRED to comply.

On Page 111 Item 29.2 It says:

All vessels under 500 GRT should employ a Safety Management System as described in Annex 2.

On Page 17 Item 3.5 It says

Vessels coded under "The Code of Practice for Safety of Large Commercial Sailing and Motor Vessels" (LY1) may continue to be considered under the standards in force at the time of initial certification. However, for vessels under 500GT, compliance with section 29.2 (Safety Management) should be achieved by 1st January 2007.

I think the key here is the use of the word should rather than must.

By the way Chapter 22 is about the Protection of Personnel in the hard copy I looked at and has the same title in the newset one
  5. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

I don't know why anyone bothers with the MCA, plenty of other flags out there to fly. I recently saw a yacht management company offering there services for the mini-ISM. Basically it seems to be another way to make money for the management companies.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The MCA is not a Flag State , you don't have your boat registerd there like Cayman, Marshall Islands etc.

It is a regulatory authority, A lot of it's rules and regs are the same as those adopted by the USCG and many other regulatory authorities throughout the world.

Anyone can offer an ISM Service, this often means the paperwork and DPA Service but somewhere along the way it will have to be linked with one of these MCA type bodies to be valid.
  7. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

No, they are they regulatory body for the flag state. I still don't know why anyone would put a red flag on there boat, and have to jump through all the MCA hoops.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you are operating a large yacht you will have to comply with someones rules and regs. The MCA 's code contains a lot of what has already been in USCG Commercial Vessel code for a sometime.

The USCG can and will board and inspect a yacht or commercial ship visiting the US under Port State Control Regs just as the MCA does in the UK.

The USCG is the US equivalent of the MCA.

There have been some good improvements in Safety things since the Code came into force. It's the ISM System that gets a lot of people down with the sheer weight of paperwork and procedures that have transformed the yachting we all knew and loved in something that is not everyones cup of tea.