Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Furuno

Member Help for Spyware & Adware...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jan 3, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Guys,

I'm preparing to do a mail-out to members on how to increase their system speed and make 2006 a more enjoyable Internet experience. I'm getting questions every week from members who are having trouble and it's time consuming to address each one.

BTW... I have not mentioned Firefox because the majority of users are on IE and Firefox users are already pretty net savvy. A lot of our members are a little older and don't spend as much time with computers as we do. Therefore, I want address their existing browsers. If I'm missing anything, let me know.

Give me some feedback on these suggestions. Here's the mailer...

Happy New Year!

To start off the new year, we’d like to offer some tips will help increase your speed and enjoyment of the Internet during 2006.

If you’re experiencing slow downloads, i.e. pictures or pages take a long time to open, there is a good chance you may have spyware or adware. Another reason for slow speeds could be related to excessive files stored in your browser’s memory from month’s of surfing.

For you computer pros out there, you don’t need to read any further, but if you don’t spend as much time with computers as the rest of us, the following tips should make a BIG difference in your speed… and security!

This whole process will take less than an hour, but it’s easy, it’s free and it is time well spent. It will save you countless hours and aggravation this year.

Let’s get started…

1. Clear the excess files stored in your browser’s memory. This is a typical culprit after months of surfing. In Internet Explorer, click on “tools” located on the navigation bar of your browser’s window. Next, Click on “Internet Options”. Then, click on “Delete Files”. This will remove stored files from surfing and will improve your system’s speed.

2. If you are not using an Anti-Virus program, it is a must! There are a number of programs available on the Internet that are FREE and just as effective as “brand name” software that you must pay for. We have had good success with “Grisoft AVG”.

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

3. Download, install and run Lavasoft AdAware. It is FREE and quite simply the most effective tool for removing Adware and Spyware. The threats this program identifies and will eliminate are likely to be the reason your computer has slowed down…

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

4. Download, install and run Spybot Search & Destroy. It is FREE and one of the most popular products on the market for removing spyware…

http://www.spybot.info/

5. Download, install and run Javacool’s SpywareBlaster. This will help prevent spyware from being installed on your computer…

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Be sure to update and run these programs weekly. It only takes a few minutes and could save you 100's of hours this year, not to mention a ton of aggravation.

And finally...

A number of members have asked “How do I make YachtForums my Home Page?”...

This is easy. Go to YachtForums ( http://www.yachtforums.com ) and log-in with your User Name and Password. In Internet Explorer, click on “tools” located on the navigation bar at the top left of your browser window. A menu will drop down. Under the “General” menu, click “Use Current” and this will set YachtForums as your homepage.

Wishing you speed and safe surfing this year...

The YachtForums Crew
    http://www.YachtForums.com
  2. JonS

JonS Senior Member

Good idea Carl, good instructions, easy to understand and i use all of these programs too :)

Knowing that you are recommending them makes me reasured that they are as good as they appear to be, and will i'm sure rest other non-comp-literate minds at ease!

Thumbs up from me :)
  3. YachtForums

Thanks John. I don't consider myself an expert, but rather... a victim! The programs listed above have become fairly standard protocols. If someone has better suggestions... speak up! We can all learn from each other. :)
  4. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Great Way To Start The NEW YEAR !!!

Carl,
    This is a great idea!
    I'm sure that many, if not all, members and friends have had Spyware, Adware and Virus problems.
    You've pretty much covered all the bases.
    And thanks for pointing out the IMPORTANCE of UPDATING the Spyware and Adware definitions/files regularly (daily, if possible).
    Happy New Year to you and All YF members and friends.
    Arnie
  5. LanaLane

LanaLane New Member

WOW!!! What a difference! I followed your steps and it took about an hour to install and run these programs, but now my computer is much, much faster. AdAware found over 70 threats!

Carl, you're the best. Any builder that doesn't support this site doesn't deserve to be here!

Thanks! Good way to start off the new year. :cool:
  6. YachtForums

Glad to help Lanalane. Arnie, good to see you on the site today. :)

One of the items I forgot to mention is a pop-blocker. I included this info in the mail out, but for our non-members who might be reading this thread, here's a suggestion...

Download, install and run Free Surfer MK II. It’s FREE and effectively blocks “pop-ups”, although the programs listed in the above steps (1 thru 5) will most likely eliminate ALL of your pop-up problems. Here's a link...

http://www.kolumbus.fi/eero.muhonen/FS/fs.htm
  7. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Glad to be back.
    Was in Sin City for a week (to relieve the stress).

I have to mention that most Spyware/Adware/Pop-ups are inadvertently "triggered" by opening Spam Email, or even visiting dubious websites.
    I always follow some simple rules to avoid triggering or downloading spyware/adware:

1. If you don't know the person/entity who sent you the email, DO NOT OPEN THE EMAIL (specially email advertisements selling products). Instead, DELETE it immediately. If you open the email or click on the URL provided, this will send an alert to the Spam sender that your email is valid and will trigger an endless stream of Pop-Ups/Adware/Spam. Some email services have a "Spam" button. You can click on the SPAM button, to delete email, and at the same time Alert the email service of a potential spam source, which they can then block at their end.

2. Most Spyware/Adware come with a website link or URL, that they ask you to click or access. DO NOT CLICK ON THE URL ADDRESS. Again, this will trigger or set-up your pc to receive adware/pop-ups.

3. Most viruses come in the form of "attachments" to email. If you don't know the person/entity sending you the email, DO NOT DOWNLOAD the attachment. Or if a website link is provided, DO NOT CLICK ON THE WEBSITE URL.

3. Spyware/Adware are also inadvertently downloaded together with music and software downloads, or when downloading images from "questionable" websites.

There is also a new alert that came out last week on a Windows vulnerability, where spyware or other malicious code is embedded within picture files. This new alert mentions all Windows systems as vulnerable. Microsoft still has to come out with a fix for this Windows flaw.

Hope this helps.
    :)
  8. YachtForums

EXCELLENT advice Arnie! These simple rules can keep you out of a world of trouble!!! This post should be printed and distributed to anyone using the internet. :)
  9. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

I agree.
    Making frequent updates of Anti-Spyware/Adware, Operating Systems and other software is of critical importance.

1. Windows XP and the popular web browsers like Internet Explorer and Firefox have features that alert you whenever Updates are Available.
    Broadband (DSL/Cable/T1,etc. users) should activate Automatic Updates.

2. It also makes sense to use all the Protection Features of your Operating System and Web Browsers. If your OS has a built-in firewall, USE IT.
    If you are using Wi-Fi, TURN ON your encryption and other protection systems. Some web browsers have built-in Pop-Up Blockers. USE IT.

Of course, computer-savvy users can go further and do a regular Disk Defragmentation of their hard disk, run a clean-up of temp and disk cache files, remove unneeded software from the Startup directory, even clear the Registry of unnecessary entries. All will help to speed up our systems.

For us mere mortals, # 1 and 2 will probably be easy to follow and include in our web-surfing routine.
  10. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

The short version on e-mail security:
    [​IMG]
  11. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Good Grief:eek: :eek:
    783 problems found...........baaaaa ha ha ha. Wow! I really better watch where I do my internet surfing:rolleyes:
    I had been using a different spywear product that came with my new sony Vaio but I guess it's worthless. I installed Spybot S&D (which I used to have) and it found all of the problems. I also installed spywear blaster so I shouldn't get as much in the future.
    Thanks so much Carl for bringing it to my attention. I know your post must have taken alot of your time.
    Happy new year to all!
    Dave
  12. YachtForums

Glad to help Dave. :)

The suggestions by Arnie & Alan are truly superb, although some of these are a little advanced for most users. Be sure to install, update and run AdAware. This is THE most effective program I've found in the war against internet terror.
  13. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

Amen! :)
  14. Arniev

Arniev Senior Member

FYI ... Microsoft Releases Fix for Security Vulnerability

Microsoft just released a fix for a serious security vulnerability in the way Windows renders Windows Meta File images (WMF patch). This flaw in Windows is considered serious. Which is probably why Microsoft came out with the patch today, instead of waiting till next Tuesday to release it under their Monthly Updates.
    It is recommended that Windows users download and install this software patch ASAP.
    For additional information, you can check this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-001.mspx

Hope this will be of help to everyone.