Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

MEC3 for Uk citizen

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Mikeyessir, Jan 3, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Mikeyessir

Mikeyessir New Member

Hello,

I have 8 years experience in engineering and left Royal Navy submarine service as a junior engineer after 4 years service.

I have bin working in and around yachts as an engineer for four years now.

Currently a chief engineer on a private 35m but still on AEC unlicensed. Still awaiting MCA assessment which should arrive around March this year.

I have seen the MEC3 online in NZ and is a 30week course open to Uk citizens aslong as you have the pre requisites....

So to take this course would mean almost a year out of yachting but would give me a commercial ticket for the future and help progress my career.

However it will cost a fair amount but I imagine it will pay itself off if I can get to Y3 level using this course.

Or am I totally wrong and been mistaken with what I've read?

Any help would be great because I don't want to be stick in yachting for ever, would be nice to have options open.

I can't do a Uk cadetship because I started one before and didn't finish for whatever reason that doesn't matter here.

Thanks in advance
  2. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Well, the best thing that you have going for you is your UK citizenship in dealing with the MCA. Unfortunately, in lieu of going to a maritime Academy for four years and getting your maritime engineering credentials there than you in for an up hill slog. In your case its all about sea time and NOA's for the MCA syllabus . That being said, Yacht Forums has a Kiwi member that's a very experienced Chief Engineer (k1w1 1) that's a wealth of information and may shed some light on your perceived NZ fast track . You can PM him or start a conversation with him but he's usually on top of these type of inquiries and will read your post. The MCA and PYA are slowly coming off their high horse and re- defining "Yacht engineers vs Blue Water engineers" so its slowly becoming easier than it has ben since the MCA implementation of regulations in 2003.
  3. Mikeyessir

Mikeyessir New Member

Hello Captholli,

Thanks for your information.

One thing that doesn't make sense is that you mention an uphill struggle.

If I was to undertake the course and leave with a MEC3 and convert to Y3 given I have the right amount of seatime then surely this could only be a positive outcome.

Will speak to MCA directly about the subject.

Thanks.