Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Perko

mast question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jazz_84, Jun 26, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jazz_84

Jazz_84 New Member

hey all im just asking this for my dad, he is looking to buy a yacht and was just wondering how hard it is to stand the mast up, like do you use a winch or do you need more then 1 person to do it? it's for a 26-28 foot long yacht and he tells me it's a trailer sailor, thanks in advance
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

There are probably systems designed so that a mast may be placed single handed although I've never seen one. I've placed the aluminium mast by myself on a 22 foot day sailer type. I had no help, but did have a overhanging tree which I could tie off to. Would not volunteer to do it again.
    Try it on dry land. It'll be twice as difficult on the water.
  3. Jazz_84

Jazz_84 New Member

oh ok so your saying he would need a seperate device maybe to do it by yourself, other wise more then 1 person is required, thanx for that
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

5. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Jazz_84
    AMG's link is exactly what I was referring to. Even if your father is in very good shape a device like that would be safer and help to keep sailing enjoyable. Even a light aluminium mast has a lot of leverage on you when you are trying to do it by yourself. :)
  6. Jazz_84

Jazz_84 New Member

ahhhh nice, thanx for your help Codger and AMG much appreciated