Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Cross

Marquis 420SC vs SeaRay EC or bridge

Discussion in 'Marquis Yacht' started by Captain Nemo, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Captain Nemo

Captain Nemo New Member

Moultonborough, NH (Lake Winnipesaukee), Marco Isl
    Wow! Yours is an incredibly interesting info, that puts a different spin on the advertising hype that Marquis hired Italians to design it, to be specifically built in the US. What an interesting truth on what I'm still reading everywhere as an original US-ITA collaboration, which turned out to be marketing of the "seconds" of someone else's feast. This doesn't necessarily take away from the quality of the 420SC, but it was never designed as an Italian-US collaboration, was it. Thank you for your input!
  2. Liam

Liam Senior Member

This is totally wrong!
    The Nuvolari Lenard Mochi where the following: 19 Sonic (1996), 25 Mega (1996), 22.50 Axis (1997), 16.70 (never launched).
    The molds of Mochi where bought up by one of the old Mochi shareholders which is Dominator. The above models where renamed: Dominator 640 for Mochi 19 Sonic, 860 for the 25 Mega, 78 for 22.50 Axis and a similar design to the 16.70 named 620 presented in 2006.
    For the info Mochi had succesful models named Dominator in the eighties and seventies.
    The Genmar ties with the old Mochis and also involving the Dominator owners was for about a year (I think 02 or 03) with a company model named Nuvari 63. This is the exact model from the Mochi 19 Sonic, which was later modified in the stern to be the Dominator 64. It used to be built in Italy.

After this both brands seperated and Genmar entrusted Nuvalari & Lenard with the design of a new brand Marquis with EURO influcence. So all the Marquis models are pracitally brand new to Marquis.
    Since then Dominator has also changed its designers to a new company.
  3. Liam it is obvious to me that you are more knowledgeble about this than I am. I was involved in the sale of a Mochi Craft Axis 78' and met with Nuvolari and Lenard at the Dusseldorf Boat Show and later at the Mochi factory in Italy. There was even a 78' Mochi here in Fort Lauderdale, and I got to run it to Savannah, GA to be loaded on a ship to go back to Europe. Much later I ran across Dan Lenard at the Palm Beach Boat Show and it was he that told me that Carver had bought the molds.
    At the time I was at the Mochi factory the smallest Mochi made was the 65, but they were building the molds for the 59'. All of the smaller Marquis yachts were designed specificaly for the American market and are some of the prettiest yachts built in the USA.
  4. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Hello YBG, the Mochi 65 should be what was renamed as 21 Classic in its last two years of production (96-98). This was a Caliari design, and its molds where bought by a South Venice located builder named Leonard Yachts.
    The 59 you saw in the factory should have been the 19 Sonic. These molds where the only ones used by Genmar for a model named Nuvari 63. I think this was quite a success, and about ten 63s where delivered. Mochi had a plan for a new 65 footer and its designs where bought up by Dominator, and it was in actual fact Dominator first model, before it bought all the other Nuvalari Lenard designs or molds.
    To my knowledge yes Nuvolari & Lenard had a say in selling the Mochi molds to Genmar, but I am surprised that they had all the molds (17.60 Cyber, 19 Sonic, 21 Classic, 22.50 Axis, 25 Mega) and have used only one. On facts they have only used one of these molds.
    The 17.60 Cyber mold or designs which was never released by Mochi was sold to an another Italian company named Cayman yachts which used it for a 62 model later on. Prosperi the Cayman yachts boss was also a director at Mochi till 1996. Later on Dominator did release its own 62 on similar designs.
    This model was due to be released in Genoa 1999, the year Mochi went bankrupt. May be if you tell me some dates for the above we can make a better picture of the models you saw and are speaking of.
    In the eighties, and nineties Mochi was among the best seller for medium sized flybridge boats (40-60ft) in Italy, along with Ferretti and Azimut.