Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko

Man engine (Johnson Pump) impeller o rings

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, Mar 2, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

The other day I ordered o rings for my Johnson impeller pumps. They don't use a gasket. Okay no big deal order them from a Man dealer. Cost was $45 a piece. You know that is absurd. Understand Man parts are expensive but a pair of O Rings costing $100 is ridiculous. Anyone know where else to get the o rings next time I need them?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, from Johnson. Look at the impeller chart on the Johnson chart thing and it will show which pump the impellor goes to, order them for that pump the cover plate should be the same 95% of the time. Any marine parts place should be able to order Johnson branded ones.
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Capt J,
    The Johnson pump is a F9B9 but I cannot find anywhere that sells the o rings. Can you provide a place to purchase?
    Thx, Skip
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Depco Pump

Or match the O rings at a hydraulic supplier.
  5. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

McMaster-Carr
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If you can get the "impellor kit" from Johnson it will come with the o-ring. But the part # for the o-ring is shown as 01-42424, should be able to order it from west marine, Lewis Marine supply shows it in their catalog.

Boat Owners warehouse shows it as $3.62, call them and confirm that it is an O-ring and not a paper gasket before ordering. Another site shows it as a flat gasket for that pump. If not,they can get you the right part though. Unless MAN had them make it proprietary.
    http://www.boatownerswarehouse.com/product_p/323447.htm
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

You will find that most major engine manufacturers tend to have their peripherals custom made. Jabsco make pumps just for CAT, Rickmeier make them for MTU.... and none of these guys will sell parts to end users
  8. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Such is true, but chances are it's a standard o-ring you can just buy from an o-ring supplier if you know the diameter and thickness.
  10. 30West

30West Member

Unless it is a pretty big O-ring, not worth the hassle. I used to make O-rings for ultra-high-vacuum industrial processes, they had to be fairly perfect to not let molecules stream past and screw up the process. We had plastic jigs that would cut the O-ring stock perfectly square, v-groove blocks to hold the stock straight while we glued them, and then I'd bend and sand the joint a little to get rid of any excess glue. Then I'd bend the joint sharply to test it. These days I order O-rings from McMaster if they are available in the size I need.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Vacuum can be a tricky thing to deal with even at low levels.
    The O Ring the OP is after is most likely in a stationary situation and will be sandwiched between a flat plate and a recess, the success of hand made o rings in this type of situation is a lot higher that with any sliding or reciprocating equipment that relies on an O Ring to provide a seal between moving surfaces.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hey Skip. The Man V-8/900 we had up here had Jabsco pumps.
    Direct drive from the aft/port side of the engine (left cam end).
    Mounted just like a V Detroit block. Used my same 3 1/2" impellers.

If your boat is a keeper for a few more years, you may consider a new pump install.
  13. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Definitely going to keep. The impeller for this pump is 3.75" so not sure its the same size pump (09-814B impeller).
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I brought that up as idea to install a cheaper to maintain and more common to spare, pump.
    Ran great on those V8-900 CRs up here and the only reasonable $$ maintainable option on the engine.
  15. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

+1 on Depco Pump.

IF they don't have it you don't need it..........