Click for Westport Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking

M/Y Aloha sinks off Mykonos

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Atlanta, Aug 20, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Atlanta

Atlanta New Member

A Navetta 33 hit a reef off Mykonos this morning and sank. All guests and crew were reported to be safely rescued.

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Very unfortunate. The water is clearly deeper than the draft. Someone forget the bilge plug? ;)
  3. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

For sale, slightly used, where is, as is... needs bottom done soon.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I saw this on FB this morning, the title was something like " Well that escalated quickly, Didn't it"
  5. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

when a captain of a naval vessel hit's a reef he's transfered mocked etc .. but when a captain of a yacht hit's a reef ..

was the charts accurate or , uncharted reef or just plain stupidity sailing close to shore ???????? at speed
  6. WilsonHasLeft

WilsonHasLeft New Member

I can't say I know how it works in yachting or commercial shipping, but if the captain of a US naval vessel hits a reef he's almost certain to be relieved and unless he's got one helluva excuse that's never been heard before, he's going to be cashiered. The US Navy is an unforgiving mistress.
  7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

The new term for such an event is the "Schettino Impulse"
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

In my time in yachting there have been very few major accidents that I am aware of, there is however a saying " To get a bigger yacht sink the smaller one you are on" and this rings true in a number of cases.

As you have put so much emphasis onto the approach to the shore at speed maybe you would care to share the facts you are aware of that speed was the cause of this disaster and explain if you are not moving at speed how you actually get into port because even one knot which is impossible to maintain steerage at for most boats is actually a speed.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have always worried about the fast growth rate of rocks and coral... They grow so fast that they can pop overnight and catch you in a spot where boats have safely operated for years.
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

HA !