Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Looking to get my first sporty!

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by docjr03, Oct 1, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. docjr03

docjr03 New Member

I am looking at purchasing this boat:

1970 Bertram 38 Sportfish Boat for Sale (36858) in Poquoson City County, VA - Specs and Photos - POP Yachts

Although I haven't seen her in person, she looks pretty clean (for a 1970 boat) from the photos. Although I have experience running boats of this size and bigger in the USCG (way back) I was hoping someone knowledgeable here could give me a few specific pointers to look for that I can't find on a basic google search when I go to check her out. My current boat is an outboard WA, so my knowledge of diesel mechanics is pretty much non-existent.

The only thing I noticed in the pictures about the engines is that the paint seems to be a little new for some of the rust that seems to be starting to poke through. Should I be concerned about that (I'm an old boatswains mate- rust bothers me)? Will a mechanical survey give me enough information to make an informed decision? Thanks!
  2. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Nice looking boat. good luck. Be sure to have a good surveyor for both the motors and the hull. Good one's are worth every penny of their expense.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Agreed. I also hear those Cummins are a good choice for that boat. It seems it's priced right, but you never know till you see it in person. I'd be willing to bet it'll really rock and roll with the tower.....
  4. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Good luck on your boat...I do wish however that you'd change the title of your thread...never give anybody like me a straight line like that! I think I got my first sporty at the age of 6!:D (This probably should go in the boat jokes thread)
  5. docjr03

docjr03 New Member

haha, I'll be honest, I didn't think about that...but hey, it got you to read my thread, right?
  6. docjr03

docjr03 New Member

Agreed, and it looks like the tower is not functional or at the very least needs some serious TLC. I'm not sure I would realistically use it for it's intended purpose, and might be better off just removing it and spending that money on other more pressing areas.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Recently I sold & delivered a 1974 38' w/450C repower. Besides the obvious vessel survey you should have a mechanical inspection done by a Cummins tech. Make sure they increased the diameter of the original exhaust system to the new Cummins specs all the way to the transom. I've seen some done on the cheap where the old exhaust diameter is too small.

I agree the C series is a good fit for that boat but it's not going to hit 30 knots as advertised. Probably 25 at WOT. Also agree about maybe losing the tower - the 38 likes to roll.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  8. docjr03

docjr03 New Member

Are there any known issues on this model? Although the boat looks pretty good in the pics, and the owner has put some money into her in recent years, I assume just based on her age that certain things will need to be done to ensure reliability. Based on the limited information the listing provides, is there anything any of you see that would need to be done right away? If you were buying her, what would be your immediate concerns, and what would you expect to have to upgrade to ensure reliability?
  9. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Survey....engine and boat...that's how you find out what you should expect to have to do. It's over 40 years old so anything on it can be a problem, from hull to engines, to electronics to interior, to fuel, water and holding tanks. You mentioned rust, obviously a potential concern. But your answers are going to have to come from seeing it and then having a good thorough survey done if you like it and want it.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Check the cockpit (mostly) as well as the front deck and FB for soft spots and issues with the coring.
  11. wac45

wac45 New Member

If the cockpit hasn't been replaced that is something to look at as they would rot. I owned a late 70s 35 Bertram back in the day and really liked the boat but they do like to roll at anchor or trolling. As previously mentioned the tower won't help that.
  12. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

Engine survey will be very important. Says 420 hours since major rebuild in 2002. That's only 35 hours per year. Not enough to keep the engines (or anything else) healthy. More likely it was 50 hours or so per year until the last 3 or 4. If 100 hours year for the past 2 years that is much better. Secondly "Major" rebuild can mean anything and means nothing without receipts as to what was done. Depending on who you are talking to "Major" can just refer to the costs:)

The boat should make close to the 30 claimed - but that is 30 mph not knots. Farther down speed is listed at 20 cruise / 27 WOT.
  13. docjr03

docjr03 New Member

I must apologize for leaving this post hanging. I ended up passing on this boat. I've continued to research, and realize this one doesn't fit my needs. Thanks for all the replies.