Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Looking for marina webmasters to trade scuttlebutt

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by captainccs, May 6, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. captainccs

captainccs Aye, aye capt'n

I would like to compare notes with other marina webmasters to find out how we can improve our web sites. We were getting so much SPAM in our info email address that I decided to discontinue it and to replace it with a contact form. So far this month we have received 4 inquiries in 6 days which is a conversion rate of 2.5% based on the number of unique visitors we get, around 900 a month.

If anyone here is interested in marina scuttlebutt, please send me a PM or, if Carl does not mind, we can maybe discuss it on the forum.
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Denny,

A marina scuttlebut thread is an awesome idea! Actually, it sounds like a good forum header. If others are interested, I'll create a category for it. Let's see if others chime-in on this thread with some marina stories, news, etc.

Nice to hear from you, Denny. Your site looks GREAT!

Carl
  3. captainccs

Why thanks, Carl! That's very nice of you!
  4. aloha27

aloha27 New Member

Marina Scuttlebutt

At Barrachois Harbour Yacht Club (Yahoo Keyword- Barrachois) we've reduced the amount of spam considerably simply by re-writing our e-mail addy to words only!
    Instead of bhyc@canada.com, we tried bhyc at canada dot com. Consequently, we now get about one or two spam messages daily rather than the 60 to 70.

Steve
  5. captainccs

That works very well when you have "non-standard" email addresses like "bhyc." It is quite a different problem when you have "common" addresses like "info," "sales," "webmaster" and so on. In your case robots were doing the harvesting and that is stopped by not having a properly formatted email address on the web site. With the common names the problem is that they don't need to harvest them, they just mail to every probable combination: "info@domain," "sales@domain," "webmaster@domain" and so on. Since it costs practically nothing to send an email, they can afford to send millions of pieces with no real recipient.

I have not gone to the point of altering any email addresses on any of my sites to the point where it cannot open an mail client but I have encryped the links by converting the clear text into "HTML entities." Here is a link to the script I use:

cardumen.com/tools/code-email.php