Click for Furuno Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Walker

Looking for info on classic yacht "Desire"

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by gbellows, Mar 2, 2012.

1. gbellows

gbellows New Member

I am trying to research the history of my Grandfathers yacht "Desire" his name was L.F.R. Bellows from Detroit. The yacht was always docked at DYC were he was also the Commodore in the early 30's. The attached picture was taken in 1931 in Detroit.

Attached Files:

2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hello gbellows, Welcome to YachtForums!

I'm generally good at coming up with info on the Classics. I have very limited reference material here at my Winter perch in Ft Lauderdale. When I get to my office in Maryland next week I may be able to find info on "Desire" for you.

In the meantime, do you know if she was built of wood or steel?
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. gbellows

gbellows New Member

SeaEric

Thank You

Greg
  4. gbellows

gbellows New Member

Would also like to know the shipyard or make and any other details of the yachts life.

Thanks

Greg Bellows
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I'm stumped. The oldest edition of Lloyds that I have is from 1959. I find no reference to a yacht of this size and build year with the current or former name "Desire". Anyone else have any ideas?
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I've been watching this thread with interest. If Eric doesn't know, I'll be surprised if we learn anything more.
  7. DTW Viking60

DTW Viking60 New Member

I looked in the BGSU Archive site, no mention of "Desire" or the owner Bellows. I am pretty sure this is a DeFoe built around the late 20's.

We met at LYC a week ago, I think at that time I told you it was a DeFoe. Do you have any other statistics on this boat? Size, Later owners, etc? Anything might help.
  8. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

The Place for Yacht Research

You might want to contact the Mariners Museum in Newport New, VA http://www.marinersmuseum.org/library/research-assistance

My Dad spent days there researching designs for the Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff he eventually built in his basement. And of course they have a huge Titanic exhibit. If you are ever in the area plan on spending at least a day there getting lost in everything Nautical they have to take in!

Looking for sexy babes? You will find them there too! http://www.marinersmuseum.org/collections/jenny-lind
  9. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The photo above - Is that a Rosenfeld? if so, there may be info on this photo and the yacht at Mystic.
  10. rodsteel

rodsteel Member

I tripped across this - not sure if it is related

Cox & Stevens, Inc. Collection

Scroll down to the 1912 section

34.56 DESIRE; 90 ft. motorboat Designer, Cox & Stevens, Inc.; Design #143B; Builder, Gulf Fisheries Co.; 1912
  11. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Good work! I think that info would sure hold some promise. Greg may wish to make a research request to Mystic to see what else is there on "Desire"
  12. viking 58

viking 58 YF Historian

I have been following this one for a while and have a few things to post.

Mystic Seaport does have the ship plans for the Desire:
    DESIRE: Motorboat, Design #143B SHIPS PLANS 1912-04; 1912-09
    6 sheets of plans for 90 ft. motorboat, DESIRE (built 1912), design #143B by Cox & Stevens, Inc. Dates on plans range from 04-1912 to 09-1912.
    SP.1975.1.34.56

The listing below is from the 1917 Lloyds Register, this shows that 5 years after it is built is owned by Irving Cox, of Cox and Stevens.

His company must have chartered the boat in the winter as referenced by the attached 1917 New York Times article below.

The Detroit Yacht Club lists Lew F.R. Bellows as the Commodore in 1933.

Finally below is a biography on L.F.R.Bellows from the book The City of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922

Attached Files:

13. DTW Viking60

DTW Viking60 New Member

Good job digging that up ,Joe. I stand corrected that the boat is not a DeFoe.
  14. Manusel

Manusel Member

Bellows is listed as owner in my 1935 LLoyd's , but her length is 94'-6" LOA. She likely was significantly modified and Defoe would be the logical place for a Detroiter to have the work done. She definitely had that Defoe look in your picture. I have a picture of her from an earlier period I can share.
  15. gbellows

gbellows New Member

Yacht Desire

Viking 58

Sorry for being a year late on my reply but did not see your post. Could you please send me the photo you mentioned ?
    Greg - at - gregbellows - dot - com

Thanks
  16. Was bellows

Was bellows New Member

Response to desire

Greg

I thought you knew. Desire was used in the 40-50'as a trawler in panama and subsequently retired at sea

Bill
  17. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Since my last post on this thread I have purchased an older edition of Lloyds. Desire is listed in 1935 as O/N 211564. Designed by Cox and Stevens and built by Gulf Fisheries Co., Galveston, TX. Length 94'6" beam 17'0" owner L.F.R. Bellows, Detroit. Some info may be gleaned by running an abstract of title with the Coast Guard on the O/N.
  18. gbellows

gbellows New Member

Desire final years

Bill

I did not know and can you tell where I can find this info ?
  19. Was bellows

Was bellows New Member

Desire

He had pictures along with the Kathleen (his boat) when I was in college while he lived in delray. I also think there was some info mom had in a folder about neonogram and the bellows co.
  20. gbellows

gbellows New Member

Was Bellows

Let me know who you are.

Greg Bellows