Click for Nordhavn Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

Looking for designers

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by bartek_72, Sep 1, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bartek_72

bartek_72 New Member

I am looking for designers with experience with small motor yachts (cruiser) with 7-8 meter lenght. Like SeaRay 240-260 Sundancer, Chaparral , Regal, Doral etc. I have started with production of such boat and would like to talk about your experience - especially about laminate structure.

Bartek
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I am building such boats at present and anyone with GRP building experience can estimate the right lamination materials, number of layers and thickness. Are you talking vacuum techniques or special resins like epoxy you should talk to suppliers of such devices and materials. Designers generally know less than the engineers on how to achieve the right parameters.
    Should you on the other hand want help with new designs, I have a few very interesting waiting to be built... :)
  3. Nismo350Z33

Nismo350Z33 New Member

If either of you don't mind me asking, but approximately how much would it cost for myself to build a 20 foot (about 6 meter) boat? It would be a bowrider recreational boat meant for mostly freshwater, in board motor, etc. How much would it cost to be built from Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber (Kevlar)? Thanks in advance.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

To build such a boat as a one-off, would be far too expensive to even consider. If you like to make molds for production, you have to spread the cost on minimum 20 boats to get one at a reasonable price.
    If your question is what it would cost if you already have molds, it would represent about half the cost of buying a new. That willl cover the material but no labour.
    If you have other intentions with your questions, please give us some more information on the background and you will have a more precise answer ;)
  5. Nismo350Z33

Nismo350Z33 New Member

Well, I've always had a facsination for commercial/residental construction and building things such as cars or boats. A girl at my university last spring told me her step-father owns Edgewater Boats (mostly 21-36 foot offshore fishing boats). I thought it was pretty neat because one person started up their own boat company and it isn't run by a large corporation. That got me interested in the possibility of starting a company like that.

I'm mostly interested in small recreational boats (no cabins or heads) because in Central Florida (mostly Orlando), boating, skiing, wakeboarding are all very popular in the freshwater lakes. Also, my family used to own a 1999 Regal 176 bowrider for weekend fun, but we sometimes had problems with it because it was water cooled and sand would get into it. It was about $17,000 I believe.

Now (sorry for the long story :) ), after having our boat, as well as my friends' boats, have service problems and then me meeting someone who is related to the boating field, I've wanted to make my own boat. Something about 18-20 feet, very reliable, closed circuit cooling (so I guess it has to be an in board, but please correct me if I'm wrong), and I want to sell it at a price of around $13,000 without trailer.

How complicated is designing a hull for this application? Are there hull designs for which the rights can be bought? How hard would weight balance be if the engine will be put in the rear (cheaper to make) or mid mounted like ski boats? Lastly, I was asking about the kevlar because I think it's just awesome. Light, strong, and it looks good, but I know it would cost and arm and a leg to make something out of. Sorry for all my writing, but a repsonse would very much be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

P.S. I wouldn't build it anytime soon. At least 5 years from now and I'd consider the idea of using water jets like Sea Doos if it's cheap enough.
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Boat business is a nice business to be in, since it concerns what people buy for their pleasure mainly. But to make money is a little harder. In that size range the competition from the big manufacturers are just impossible to beat, at least when it comes to price. Even the quality is on top these days due to vacuum techniques. So you have to do something really unique.
    With regards to engines, on a small craft you have to use seawater to cool the engines cooling system even if it has freshwater cooling, so I think an outboarder that you can tilt up when approaching a beach makes more sense.
    And finally, carbon fibers are very sensitive to sun light, and the threads are built in so they are not exposed. When you see the carbon look it is mainly for decoration, often just a print.
    My best advice is to talk with a smaller producer and listen if they have molds for at least a hull and start from there. Also listen carefully how much profit they have on boats of that size, I am afraid you have to invest a lot to be able to make real money. And then you have to build a brand as well...
    But it happens all the time, so why not! :)