Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Longterm out of water storage for >50' fiberglass motor yachts?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by y1f, Jan 28, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. y1f

y1f New Member

I'm looking at various 40 - 60 foot project boats. I've heard in my research that longterm boatyard storage is particularly bad for this size (or larger, I guess). I'm wondering why that is, and if possible, what I can do to properly survey for damage (e.g. ultrasonic scans? look for specific tell-tale damage?).

Obviously I'd get a professional survey before making any purchase decisions. I'm just trying to educate myself, here.

I'm mostly looking at Hatteras MotorYacht or YachtFisherman styles and, for the most part, 1975 or newer (approximately). I'm not considering anything with a wood hull.

Any other info like the pure hull value (if the motors and electronics are all crap) is appreciated too - meaning "if the hull were perfect and I needed a full refit, the hull for model X or Y would be in the Z price range." Obviously specifics are just guesses and estimates. I'm just asking the questions to gather as much knowledge and insight as possible. Thanks!
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Each and every boat is unique and of it's own history.

If it was crap coming out of the water and onto the hard, it's hardly going to improve over time.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Properly blocked a fiberglass hull can stay on the hard for ever... there has been some rare case of damage to flimsy built hull, certainly not on Hatts

An older hatt in the 50 foot range with blown engines and in need of a full refit is pretty much worthless. Obviously it depends on the boat and it s overall condition.
  4. y1f

y1f New Member

Fair enough. After posting I found one that *claims* one engine is in working order and the other needs a rebuild, so maybe that's not quite worthless? That's a 58' YF asking $57k, which I figure is at least twice what it should go for with at least one known-dead engine *and* it has been sitting on the market for a few years from what I can tell.

Anyway, thanks for the reply!
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Working order is a very relative term , could start and bang the hell out of everything then stop after 10 mins. always figure on worst case scenario in those situations...
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yep and if one is bad the other usually isn't far behind.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Properly blocked and sufficiently blocked is key. There's a lot of weight sitting on those poppets!
  8. 30West

30West Member

Some engines are much more easily rebuilt than others. Some can be rebuilt in hull, some need to be hoisted out. If the interior is also needing replacement, or electrical and plumbing problems, then it gets very expensive. Hatt can pop out bare hulls, and put all the systems in as they build the boats. They have the tools, the skilled labor, and everything pre-built. Stripping and rebuilding a hull will cost more than Hatt spends building a boat.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pads or plates if placed on dirt. Bow angle set for drainage and tie down straps.
  10. Calvin Wagner

Calvin Wagner New Member

If it's blocked right, it doesn't really matter. In my experience, if it's usually kept out of the water for extended periods of time, it hasn't been kept up and probably sustained sun damage, storm damage, fading paint, dried rubber, fuel fouling, rodent damage, etc. Nothing specific to the actual blocks it's sitting on.

Also, IMO, fiberglass hulls are intrinsically worthless at that size. Too much work and cost involved with swapping innards, cut/patch, etc.

With regards to this, don't rebuild just one engine.. Engines are like tires, socks, lightbulb fixtures, etc. Replace/repair in pairs.

And as for overall repair costs, for something that's been out of the water for a 'few' years, you'll quickly double the purchase price in repairs/refit work.

11. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

And generalizations are of little benefit. You don't care about the group of all boats as a whole, you only care about the specific boat in question.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Somethings to remember;
    A boat is a hole in the water for money.
    Time is short, Life is terminal.

Would it be more enjoyable to purchase a ship ready to go and enjoy life now on the water?
    Re-fit a hulk and over the life of the project; probably spend more money.
    If you survive; you, friends and family are to old to go out.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

No relation.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It may be generalization but it is also pretty accurate. Leave a boat on the hard, or unused in a slip, for a long period of time and systems will degrade. And its not just engines, it s pumps, electrical, air con, head seals... the long the layout the more costly recommissioning will be.

The original poster mentioned Hatteras in the 50' range. Having owned one for 15 years and being in the middle of a full refit and repowe, let me throw some ral nombers.

An inframe for the typical Detroits you ll find in these boats will run about $60k. With no warranty whatsoever and with the risk of a failure caused by increasingly poor quality DD replacement parts. A basic repower will run you about twice that using Factory reman mechanical cummins. A lot more for QSMs or Yanmars.

But rebuilding or repowering without addressing the other systems is like lipstick on a pig... what s the point of new engines if the boat isnt usable because of an ancient generator or failing air con... here goes another $40k and you havent even addressed cosmetics, ancient appliances.

When it s all said and done you ll be well over $200k.

Now on the flip side, what solidly built 50ish footer can you find with reliable new systems?
  15. 30West

30West Member

Would that be less quick in colder climates? Most of us park our boats for six months or longer up here. My boat came from Canada, lots of long sits. Everything is original, and I've not found much wrong with it.
  16. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Fresh water boats that live in the Great Lakes require much less maintenance and last much longer than salt boats. Especially the parts that touch water.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Fiberglass, bronze and stainless doesn't really suffer from salt water. What helps GL boats is the short boating season and the lower UV
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Amen on the lower UV.
    GL boats do get used half the year. Maintenance items are preformed yearly. The equipment is used while on duty.
    Anything on the hill past a couple of seasons turns into a nightmare. I can not think of any system that could last a few years without use or service.