Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Long Island, Bahamas

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by CPT2012, Feb 27, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CPT2012

CPT2012 Member

I wonder what's the situation in Long Island after last year's hurricane. I was planning to go this summer, stay at the Stella Maris Marina and explore the island from there with a car. Anybody cruised there recently ? is it worth the trouble or better wait til the infrastructure is fully operational ?
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It's worth it. Still very hospitable. Also, if one wants to, you can really get a feel for how devastating Joaquin was. We took a golf cart and then walked and talked to people in some of the areas. We felt like that part of the trip was worthwhile as a reminder of how lucky we are and how some people maintain such a positive attitude and perseverance in very bad situations. We've developed a special affinity for the people of the Bahamas since it's so close and we go somewhere in the Bahamas frequently. When we were in Clarence Town some of the businesses including motels and restaurants were only partially open.

We didn't stay at Stella Maris and I'd suggest you call them. I was under the impression, although no direct knowledge, that at one time they were more a basin and canal than a marina. Med-mooring. I don't know what they have there now. Also, the approach is 4.5' at low tide. The marina is also a distance from the resort although transportation has typically not been a problem. Stella Maris resort is operating pretty much as normal I believe.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Why wouldn't you stay in Flying Fish marina? Much more depth, always have fuel and great service?
  4. olderboater

That's where we stayed. The Marina is fully functional. One of the motels beside it was still being worked on. Overall though we had no problems and enjoyed our brief stay there. 12' depth entering, 8' at the docks.
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Spoke with a noted delivery skipper (IIRC) post-Joaquin who stopped in Clarence Town. He mentioned Father Jerome's (who also had a monastery across the way on Cat Island) Anglican and Catholic churches were still standing. No mention of "Skeetah's Bar", the little green shack run by a blind guy..."Hey, Skeetah, anybody ever rip you off?"
    "Not that I know of".
    True story from long ago.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Was just at flying fish marina yesterday, docks in good shape, fuel and everything else fine there. Not sure about the rest of the island but heard most is cleaned up and operational.
  7. CPT2012

CPT2012 Member

You have to make 40+ miles to get to Clarence Town coming from the Exumas compared to Stella Maris. Recent reviews don't seem to be favorable for Stella Maris, but there's not much information available. Flying Fish seems to be the safest option.
  8. olderboater

For us, Stella Maris was never an option due to the shallowness. 4.5' channel and when we went back by tender, we saw less at places. I wouldn't try it at low tide with more than 4' draft. At high tide you should be ok. I think their real emphasis is on the resort, not the marina, and has become more so since Joaquin.