Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Mulder Click for Furuno

Living on a yacht?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by 2k9, Jul 29, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

about the Donzi, it's worst than a stinkpotter, it's a go fast! it's useless... you get there fast, and then what? you roast in the sun on a tiny sunpad. you don't even have a nice bed, so what's the point of having that PYT aboard! :)

now... boots and bathing suits, now we're talking! :) Boots and high heels are always welcome aboard. Geez... do you guys really prefer sneakers, sandals and black socks?

although, norseman, this doens't look like Ft Lauderdale in the background... or the bahamas... sure that pic was taken on your boat?

on a typical week end, if we dont' go out on the hatt., we sail the Hobie 16 AND often find time to go horseback riding as well... nothing like boots and bathing suits, or better... boots and nothing else :)
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I think the girl in Post 30 was extracted from here.

Attached Files:

3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, the picture was Googled..
    The girl(s) above would probably be high-maintenance and not my type.

What would we do without you Mr. K1W1 ? :rolleyes:
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Back to the SYT in post 29. She might put up with a sailboat. Maybe even a Norseman if he cooks "gormet meals for her ;) . Maybe you can buy her some cowboy boots.:)
  5. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

don't look like she's pulling them off at all... and she mighta been a "sweet young thing" back in '77 when the pic was taken...:rolleyes: now she's got her own dog that "you" hate and somewhere along the line she decided you ought to do the cooking. Plus her mom stayed which is why Mount Gay is your best friend. ;)

Of course all of this is hypothetical and in good fun, but based in the truths of sailing world.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

All correct but I forgot the facts when I was posting under the influence..;)

I wouldn't buy her boots, but rather buy her....:D
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Nah, she's my SYT:D Besides, she's got a serious attitude problem. Like most SYTs she better in theory than in reality.:cool:
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

SYT...?

Single Yacht Tease?

Shut Your Trap?

Uh, what is SYT? :confused:
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just in case you forgot see post 26. OK, this has gotten too silly and off topic. Let's move on guys.:eek:
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Okay, guilty as charged, memory all erazed in a drunken haze..That being said..I went back to posting # 26 and found no reference to SYT..:confused:

Confused in Florida.....

(Perhaps all the fresh air from doing sailboats has cooked my brain..?)
  11. Alf

Alf New Member

Hi guys and dolls - (From someone intent upon continuing his life style abord a boat)
    Does anyone have an informed opinion about the feasibility and comfort of living in the East Mediterranean aboard an 'Island Trader 46'.

Mind you I've checked the net and read the posted opinions but I'd like to hear some more.
    Paraphrasing what someone here said - The only problem is being uninformed.
    Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Thanks to you all
    Alf
  12. wfp

wfp New Member

Go for it, life is short at best.I just turned 79 and would love reliveing my 14 years living abroad a 46 foot sailboat for two years and a 112 foot power boat for 12 years.Raised two kids while living abroad and home schooling them and they have made me proud.wf
  13. cknight

cknight New Member

How to get real world experience on a MY

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and have spent days reading the posts about living aboard. I have owned a couple small boats, but would love to buy a MY and LA. Everything I've read recommends getting experience on a MY before buying and making the leap.
    My first question is...Where do I go to find someone who will teach me all I need to know about the actual ins and outs of living aboard? I'm going to take a captains licensing course, but I am looking for actual hours on a boat.
    I work a full time job, so I'll have to do it on weekends or take a week off to get the experience. Either way, I want to make sure I'm not jumping in without knowing as much as possible.
    My second question is...What do you think of the 530 Carver Voyager? I've seen many recommendations for a Hatt, but to get a loan at my bank, the vessel cannot be more than 15 years old.

Any feedback, on anything related to gaining th knowledge I'll need, would be greatly appreciated.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Forget the Captains licensing course. Most of those are geared towards teaching for the test. You're expected to already have the experience. Unless you have the required sea-time you will not be eligible to get a license (and a license isn't needed to run your own recreational yacht). Better that you take some courses through the Coast Guard Auxilary or the U.S. Power Squadron.
    Before we talk about the 530 Voyarer, let me ask how much experience you have. If going past about 48' without relative experience. your insurance company will probably require you to use a captain when cruising.
  15. cknight

cknight New Member

Thank you for the feedback. I have no experience on a MY, I'll check out the coast guard for classes. I have about 12 months before making the plunge, so I'm willing to get as much experience as possible prior to purchasing. I thought I had to have a captains license to get financed and insured. I'd much rather have the hands on experience, than a book course that is not going to help me.
    So you think 48' is the top size? If that's the case, is there one you recommend? It would be my husband and me and our 2 small French Bulldogs. I am not a "things" person, so downsizing is not an issue, but I don't want to go too small and be in each other's way all the time.
    I know driving on the water and on land are completely different, but I've driven an extended cab/extended bed truck with a 5th wheel trailer, so I'm not afraid to learn to drive the MY myself.
  16. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You want to check the Coast Guard Auxilary, not the Coast Guard for classes.
    No need to down-size if you like that boat. When I say your insurance company will probably require the use of a captain, don't look on it as an invasion of your privacy or taking your enjoyment of running the boat away. First, you won't need a full-time captain, only when you cruise for about the first year. Second, this is how you get the "hands on experience". The type of captain you'll need is one who will teach you, watch over your shoulder so you don't get into trouble, and take over when things get tough or the s--- hits the fan.
  17. cknight

cknight New Member

Gotcha. Hadn't thought of the part time captain angle. I like it.

I'd really like to get a little (well a lot) of time on a boat prior to making the purchase, do you have any recommendations on how I can do that?

I looked at the CG Aux list of classes and I'll take those, but where do I go for hands on experience?
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Getting hands on experience is hard. That's why you hire the captain once you own the boat. The only other ways to get experience is to go out with friends, charter a boat or work on one. There's just no way to fast-track experience. I've been on boats for 57 years, 25 professionally, and I'm still learning.
  19. cknight

cknight New Member

Understood. So with that in mind, do you have any recommendations on specific boats I should look for (or avoid)?

I like the light the Carver lets in to the salon and I know I don't want a sea ray (too closed in), but not really sure if a Carver is a quality MY. I see a lot of them for sale.

I definitely want one I will be able to eventually handle myself.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

What boat you choose really depends on what you intend to do with it. Carver's aren't considered the best boats nor the best handling, but they have a lot of space and are fairly priced. If you said your plan was to cruise the islands I'd say 'wrong boat'. If you're looking for a boat to spend time on board at the dock and cruise coastal waters and the ICW I'd say 'great boat'.