Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport

Living Aboard Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by TheBigJPman, Jul 17, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. TheBigJPman

TheBigJPman New Member

Hi All.

I've spend a lot of time browsing YF, and I have to say there is a wealth of info here, and I love it.

That being said, after reading through many of the forums, I still have a few questions that hopefully will garner some insight from the wisdom of the members here.

First off, I apologize for the length of this post, and also if I am repeating someone else's questions. Feel free to answer only the part you wish and/or re-direct me to a pertinent post.

I grew up on the Puget Sound, and my family always had a boat of some sort. Generally smaller powerboats. I've sailed a few times, but nothing serious. I've always enjoyed being on or near the water, and I have very fond memories of weekend or extended overnight outings on our family boat to one of the many islands around here. I also have some very realistic memories of being broken-down in the middle of the sound and having to paddle to shore because the boat broke down (again!). Still, I think once you spend enough time on the water, it gets into you.

I've never owned a boat of my own, though. For reference, I'm now nearly 40. I have two kids (9 year old girl and 5 year old boy) from a previous relationship that I have an every-other-weekend custody status with, and I also have them a lot in the summer. I currently have a long-term girlfriend with whom I live most of the time, and I also have an apartment here in the city, which the company I work for provides me at no cost. I have a great job (see previous sentence), and I have no plans to leave the area anytime soon.

Anyway, to the meat of my post. Recently, I've though a lot about purchasing a condo in town. Something with a view of the water. The girlfriend's house is nice and all, but no view, plus it's hers, and when I have my kids I like to take them over to the apartment so I can really be with them one-on-one. The apartment that the company provides me is less than desirable, also with no view. Buying a condo could be a good investment. I owned a home in Seattle several years ago and made a killing on the equity. This all sounds very normal and responsible, right?

But then I started thinking about the water. Why do I want the view anyway? I want the view because I wish I was out there on the water, of course. Then I started thinking about boats. And then I started thinking about Living Aboard a boat and the Liveaboard lifestyle. You can see where this is going.

So I can't get it out of my head now. I'm thinking... it's perfect because I won't be on the boat 'full time'. I'll be at the gf's most of the time, and can always go to the apartment if I want. I'll hang out on the boat when I have the kids, or when I don't have the kids I can take the gf out on the boat for the weekend (or longer), etc. Plus, worse case scenario, if everything falls apart, and I lose the gf and the apartment, I'll still have my boat (disaster planning). And I'm also thinking, if I don't do this now, when would I have a better opportunity to do it???

I am looking to keep this whole thing under $200,000 (much cheaper than a water-view condo here).

Anyway, after all of that if you're still with me, here are my burning questions for the community:

1. Am I crazy (the girlfriend is certain that I am)?

2. Does anyone have experience living aboard with kids, and if so, what are your thoughts or advice? Remember this wouldn't be every day. One consecutive week would likely be the most time spent on the boat. Do you think they'd like it?

3. Given the above circumstances, would you recommend a sail or power boat?

4. What size boat would be appropriate? I'd like to go smaller to increase quality and reduce moorage costs, but large enough to be comfortable for me and two kids and/or me and one woman. But of course it could also be me, two kids, one woman, and another kid (on a rare occasion).

5. Would it be better to rent moorage or buy condo moorage?

6. Last, but definitely not least ---- I'm looking to spend money on a boat that will hold its value relatively well, limits maintenance costs relatively well, and that will be relatively comfortable to live aboard (notice I used the term 'relatively' with all of those - I know any boat will be costly and require adjustments to comfort over, say, a condo). I want to limit the depths of this 'money pit' idea, as well as keep this from feeling like I'm camping every other weekend (if I wanted to camp, there are plenty of cheaper opportunities for that around here). Please.... recommendations on particular models or manufacturers??? (Sail or Power).

Thanks Everyone! I appreciate your thoughts. Happy Sailing!
  2. NEO56

NEO56 Member

O.K. Let's be realistic about this....you're not going to find anything that will accommodate the two kids and your girlfriend for 200 grand. If you love being on the water, buy a houseboat built on a barge and then tie up a runabout to the barge/houseboat. If you can't find one in your price range, buy a used barge...they are in abundant supply and build your house on it. The reason for the barge is that you can place all of your holding tanks inside the hull of the barge, along with some other systems, pumps, etc. If you go that route, then you'll probably have to pay dockage fees every month, but on the flip side you'll be close to the water and have a small boat for day trips. That's the best I can come up with on your budget. Best of luck.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's not true. I just ran a 1978 50' Ocean Alexander that came out of Seattle area for $125k. It had diesel and electric heat throughout the boat. It was solid and in good shape besides needing a little cosmetics (varnish) etc. I ran her from Fort Laud to Corpus Cristi, TX without any issues to speak of.......all the owner did was have general maintanence done on the engines before we left. It was a solid old boat.

To the OP, I would recommend a Motoryacht over a sailboat. With a Sailboat, you don't really have a good view of the water from anywhere in the boat. You also have less interior room for the length.....

Something along the lines of the OA would be a good choice, or older Hatteras MY, what length were you thinking of?
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I agree and don't see the cost as an issue. Plenty of people live on trawlers they buy for less. The bigger issue I see is your need to get some training and experience before getting yourself into trouble. Perhaps start with a captain and a charter for a nice vacation and see how that works out. See what you, your kids, and your gf think. Then put together a plan to learn and buy.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

1) YES! Although obsessed may be a better word for it. It makes absolutely no sense from any practical standpoint. It's just something that gets in your blood, like a drug, that you just need to do.

2) A lot has to do with their ages. Remember that kids crave stability. (So do women which is why you'll find that most livaboards are single men. Kids are also very concerned about fitting in with their peers. Living on a boat will make them stand out, and that can be hard. There are also dangers. Remember that kids must by law wear a PFD while on deck, and there's good reason for that.

3)/ 4) Absolutely power. For starters there's a lot more space aboard a powerboat, and I agree there are some very good older powerboats available for around $200K. A 50-ish Hatteras from the early 80's for instance.

5) Absolutely rent. There's been a push for selling slip space, especially in places like Florida. I can't think of a worse investment. It's on a par with timeshares. They're near impossible to sell, except back to the company that owns the dock (it's often even in the contract)

6) There's no such thing. It's a rapidly depreciating asset, although an older boat is more affected by the general economy than by actual depreciation. The Hatteras' I mentioned is a very good example.

7) Keep in mind that Boat stands for Beak Out Anther Thousand. Everything is more expensive when you attach the word marine" to it, from cleaners to door nobs. Also keep in mind that you'll buy everything in smaller (more expensive unit price) quantities, because you have very little storage space.

8) Kiss your GF goodbye. If she's not 100% behind it (and it appears she's not) she'll be gone to the first guy with a car and condo, because he represents stability to her (women crave stability also).

So that brings you back to 1) How much do you need the drug?
  6. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

I've been living aboard my 70' custom motoryacht for the past few years with my wife and 4 kids. I have three daughters (12, 15, 16) and one son (18). The decision to live aboard has been one of the best decisions we have ever made. That said, it is not for everybody and there are a lot of things to consider.

First, there is living aboard... and there is camping aboard. Full size galley appliances, an oven you can cook a turkey in, washer and dryer, and closet hanging space are critical. Standard household water pressure with accumulator tank. Actual full size shower and even a tub, These are all comforts of home. Newer boats in your price range are great weekenders, but any longer than a few weeks and you will soon feel as if you are camping, not living. Look at as many boats as you can and don't make any exceptions on these critical items. This knocked sailboats off our list entirely. In your price range, take a look at classic Hatteras motor yachts. The 53MY is specifically. There is a dedicated Hatteras forum elsewhere that is a wealth of knowledge.

I don't want to sound like a snob, but I cringe when I explain that we are a liveaboard family. Most liveaboards never leave the dock, In fact, its harder to leave the dock as a liveaboard because you need to properly stow all your "things" and shift gears into cruising mode. For some reason every liveaboard I meet starts hoarding potted plants. I'm not sure why, but I have a few of them myself. Maybe its the fact that we live life in the Keys, but most liveaboard boats aren't in proper cruising condition either. Years and years of deferred maintenance stack up making it impossible to get off the dock and cruise.

Having all people on board with the decision to live aboard is also critical. Not everybody has a passion for being on water. For whatever reason things break and fail on a boat much more frequently than in a house. Every once in a while the family needs to tolerate nuisances like the air conditioning not working while an issue is resolved, or water restrictions because the watermaker isn't working properly while cruising. Also, little challenges like boarding the boat from the dock while holding groceries, or carrying the new couch onto the boat and removing the old one are more difficult than while living in a house.

Location of your "home port" is important for the kids. Schools are a huge consideration. Many marinas have no amenities and no "back yard" for the kids to spend time in. Kids don't want to spend all their time inside the boat, or should't be for that matter. Many of the boaters at some marinas are weekend warriors or "drunk-aboards". Other marinas might be the "yacht club" type and some are filled with transient types that you wouldn't want your kids to be around. Spend almost as much time looking at different marinas as you do looking at new boats. Find one you like and rent the slip. I see no benefit and only downsides to owning a slip. The dynamics of your slip neighbors and the marina change. If they change for the worse you can untie your lines and go somewhere else. If you owned your slip things would be more complicated.

We wash the boat every Sunday. Most people aren't crazy enough to scrub the outside of their house with soap and water and windex the windows once a week, but this is normal maintenence for a boat. We pay to have the bottom cleaned once a month even though I'm a diver since I don't find it enjoyable at all. Also, you should have a passion for mechanical work. The more you fix and upgrade your self around the boat the more intimate knowledge you will gain about your boat and her systems. This brings huge benefits when you are off the dock cruising and inevitably something breaks.

That said, the rewards are huge for the person that has a passion for boats, desire for constantly being on the water, and interest in mechanical work! I type this from a beautiful anchorage in the Exumas, Bahamas. :cool:

7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You might have missed:
    "I am looking to keep this whole thing under $200,000 "
  8. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

I suppose it all depends on the definition of "this whole thing". The price of the boat is the entry fee. The real price is the continuing maintenence and repairs insurance docking etc... etc... If TheBigJPman understands this and is on the same page, plenty of classic Hatteras 53 in cruising condition (not bristol) are offered at around $200k entree fee. Quite a few of other builds as well. Keep in mind I'm talking about older boats 1970s - 1980s.

1970 hatteras 53 Boats For Sale
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely. I'm on a 1981 56MY Hatteras. It would make a good livaboard, but there's also a learning curve. If you've caught the Great Loop Cruise Video thread you've heard about our electric woes, having to put out (2) 50 amp cords because of the all too common 175v electric, dealing with the unavailability of 32VDC anything, remembering to hold the toilet button for a full 5 seconds after all solids are gone or enduring a not too pleasant job, etc. etc., etc.

A houseboat in Puget Sound is a pretty cool life, but again there's the kid & GF who like to look at a guy who seems "stable". Life is so much more pleasant when all are on the same page.

P.S. Just came back in from resetting the breaker for the fourth time in the last 2 hours AND I happen to be on one of the rare docks I've found with 220v and I have the load split over (2) cords. Yep, life on an older boat. (but I get paid for it.:cool:)
  10. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Plus 1 to all that but number 8.

It's not a given she'll split. More than one woman has come around after a few romantic dinners and nights on a boat. :)
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

When the boats a rocking, the kids better not come on board and start knocking!!!!
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

How long are you married Bill. I've got 37 years. I'd be gone if she told me to give up boats, bikes and looking at pretty girls and she'd be gone if I told her to live on a boat. You can paint over a zebra's stripes and it'll look like a horse for awhile, but try to ride it and you'll find out it's still a zebra.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I traded a fancy 1800' waterfront condo with $1000 a month association fees for my old 53 hatt. 11 years ago and don't regret it... Yeah, my old bathroom was as big as my current stateroom but so what.

Boats can be as comfort as small condo, with the same amenities and appliances. Nowadays you can find many boats around 50/60 that will fit well in your budget.

Most kids should I love it... Mine did, they had their own room and head, it worked out.

The critical thing though is not the boat, or not only the boat. It is the marina. It's location, layout, view etc... Easy parking, decent security, good docks, easy boarding, etc... This can make living aboard a great experience, or a complete failure.
  14. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I was seriously looking at living aboard a vessel again myself,...but that got nixed by my Thai wife who is afraid of being on the water...next to it OK, just not on it. :rolleyes:

Anyway I did a fair amount of looking at a number of trawler types, etc,....then suddenly discover a 42' Chris Craft Catalina,...one heck of a nice layout with a double berth strm at either end, and a nice size galley and saloon, even a tub-shower in the master strm.

Most of these are gas powered, but if in decent shape that should not present a problem as you don't intend to do a look of running. Best yet you can find them for $35 - $70K.

If you are interested I saved a number of photos of different ones for sale on my computer. I could send you some photos if you want?

Attached Files:

15. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

16. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Liveaboards in Europe

Karo, I have to agree with you. Those large Dutch river barges are the perfect home on the water in Europe. Thousands of those steel boats from 30 ft up to 300 ft in length can be found all over Europe on rivers, in harbours or on the canals and in in the cities. Not all of them are self propelled anymore or still certified as ships or yachts but they float. Most of them are permanently moored and connected to the power, water and discharge network of the towns but they float. If you dont like your neighbours anymore, have it towed to a different location, because it floats! And as I said before, a friend of mine from school lives for decades on one of those floating homes in Amsterdam and he still loves it.

Some of those former merchant vessels are more than hundred years old but they are still afloat. They are made in such a solid manner, they will stay afloat for another hundred years. I have seen a few with original 1 or 2 cylinder, 2-stroke, long stroke diesel engine in it and still working. If they are certified as historical inland waterway and costal pleasure vessels, they are relativly easy to maintain and run very economical.

The provide great amont of space and living area, can have all amenities like a home on land and are very safe. And most of all, they are very reasonably priced.

In the Netherland, many of those liveaboard vessels even have lay down masts and sail and they sail quite well.

If I would decide to leave my life behind and move onto the water, I would buy one of those and have it moved to a canal in a nice coastal town in the Netherland.

Karo, the only problem I do see with one of those Dutch floating homes, how would they look in a marina in Southern Florida or on the Great Lakes :eek:

Bringing one over to the states would be no problem. We can give you a great rate for a 100 to 300 ft outsized heavy deckload from Rotterdam, NL to Newark :D.

Attached Files: