Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn

Like Us On Facebook!

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by YachtForums, Aug 6, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Four words I thought I'd never say... Like Us On Facebook! :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/YachtForumscom/1018801701463296

I'll be honest... I was never a Facebook fan. Frankly, I didn't get it. It's fine for catching up with old friends, but for business, I always thought the popularity of Facebook was perpetrated by the media because it diverted focus from their own content deprived websites.

As an admin, I'd like to believe I'm ahead of the digital curve, but I'm reluctantly conceding that I'm all back-of-the-bus now. To me, forums are original social media and still prevail as the most educational, informative and sometimes entertaining platforms on the web. They are most certainly an important tool in pre-purchase decisions.

Short of exchanging ideas that further the advancement of specific interests, Facebook just feels like a high school popularity contest to me. That said, I want to date the prom queen. Please like us on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/YachtForumscom/1018801701463296

Carl

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. YachtForums

An important note, we're using Facebook as an "Alter Ego" page for YF, highlighting important or popular threads that get buried in the forums as new threads take life. For those of us who have been on YF for many years, we know these threads, but most newcomers never see them.

In laying up the YF Facebook page, I chose images that were likely to get the most 'shares'. After our initial FB page promotion, we'll begin adding popular YF discussion threads to our FB page to help increase participation.

I looked at a lot of FB pages and I was pretty unimpressed that most of the yachting magazines and websites were simply using newly released images from yards to drive traffic. They don't have much useful content, just pretty pictures and a like button! Sad.

And don't get me started on the lack of privacy issues with Facebook. It's borderline criminal!
  3. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

:eek:

Well well well...
  4. YachtForums

I'm still in disbelief too.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Twitter is next...plus Instagram...Pinterest. :rolleyes:
  6. German Yachting

German Yachting Senior Member

I think you are forgetting the YF snapchat account there...
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I did....now I don't see Cyberdust in his future, but who knows.
  8. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I "liked" YF on Facebook just now.
    I have been on Facebook for 3-4 years.
    A great way to see if my ex girlfriends have gotten fat or not..:D
  9. YachtForums

Thanks Dag! I just went live with a Facebook page for JetForums a couple hours ago too...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/JetForumsnet/891887784223928?ref=hl

Prior to launching these pages, I could count on one hand the number of minutes I've spent on Facebook over the past 5 years. There are aspects that are pretty cool, but some things are kinda clunky. I've experienced glitches switching between FB pages for YF & JF, mandating page refreshes. Also, their system sometimes can't decide whether to post in a titled format or traditional post format. In some cases, it won't prompt for an image attachment and if it does, it may not be an image in the linked thread. Instead it will show random pics from the page, like one of YF's banners. With the revenue and number of coders FB has, I would have expected the system to be more seamless?
  10. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ok Carl, I was the first one to hit "Like" on JetForums.
    In the flying business, seniority is everything:)
  11. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Question:
    If I "Like YF" on FB, can the YF members see my personal details and name on FB in return?
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Interesting question:
    I tried to go back to JetForum's FB page and see if I could find my own "likes" with real name. Nothing happened, tried to hit "Like" again to leave a fingerprint, but the JF page did not uh, like my "Likes" and again, nothing happened.
    Possible because I hit "Like" one time on JF, it won't let me like each article, or some such thing.
    Looks like my identity is safe and sound so far :cool:
  13. Milow232

Milow232 Guest

They can not see your name etc. by just liking the YF Facebook page. But you can see the profile names of people who 'liked' posts on the Yachtforums FB page for example.

With the right settings you make sure that only your friends can view your personal details.
  14. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, as far as I know, only "friends" can see my details.
    Got many weird friends, probably should block 'em all :cool:
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Anyone looking at who has liked the page should only see the FB User name. If you have tight settings then only you will be able to see any details.