Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Lightning

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CaptEvan, Apr 17, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Thanks Bill,

I also used to be associated with a Sarasota GB Charter Co a few years ago, but only briefly. We may actually know of each other...
    But in any event we do have radar and we use it.

Truth be known, at this point in my life I do have a lower station, I can and do use it so the need to anchor is not as big an issue currently.

However, when I finally get the SF of my dreams I will no longer have a lower helm station option. So my question really revolves around that eventuality. But then again, at that point actually avoiding weather might be a real option, whereas today at 7 kts it is not. So who knows.

But I find it striking :)D) that there is so little reliable guidance to lightning and the damage it can cause, like a lot of people have said it is far from well understood.

It seems that the classic Florida summer thang is wondering whether or not you will be backing into the slip before or after the afternoon thunderstorm arrives. They, these storms, seem to have an uncanny knack for knowing where I plan to dock. Storms sitting on one's destination are difficult to go 'round.

Thanks for the replies
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The reason there's no reliable data or strategy is because no matter how big or smart you are, Mother nature can get bigger and more vicious. So nobody is willing to say 'This will make you safe'. It's a judgement call with every wave and every storm. Up north here the thunder storms always come from the west. So they're fairly easy to run from. Down your way you have to keep your head on a pivot and adjust to the course of the cells.
    Always liked having a lower helm in a storm.:)
  3. weto

weto Senior Member

I follow a blog on Domino a 60' cat. They have some useful info on what they installed on their craft to protect from future strikes. Pretty detailed with pics etc. Here is the 1st blog on the initial strike that continues with more entry's on repairs and upgrades for future protection.

DOMINO 20: Strike One
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

So much for their "sophisticated marine lightning protection system". I too would not have tied it into the boats over all bonding system. why give the lightening a free path to a place it might not go other wise?

Interestingly, when I was in the San Blas, we were struck by lightening twice, one strike after the other, on our anchor chain.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Dad needs to book some recurrent training. Look up military electronics and EMP as key words in a literature search.