Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Furuno Click for Mag Bay

License Renewal, another book...?

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Norseman, Feb 8, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Renewed my USCG ticket 5 years ago and got a little red "passport type" book.
    The idea was to afix future renewal stamps in the empty pages. (I guess)
    Renewed again recently after lots of songs and dances about medical being on wrong form and certain US Federal Drug Test not being accepted by the USCG, etc.
    Anyway, finally got the new licenses in the mail, but it was another red Passport book.
    Am I just lucky, or does everybody get new books instead of renewal stamps?

Have heard through the grapevine that the CG has contracted out the renewal process to some private outfit, and it seems they are the lowest bidder after all the grief and weird phone calls I got during the recent renewal process :confused::(
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Thanks for reassuring me that my decision to retire and not renew my license was right. LOL. Renewing with the CG is always such fun. Don't forget your TWIC card.
    Hate the books. I've laminated my licenses as they expired through my career. They grace my "Captain's" wall. I get a shot of pride every time I look at it. How do you laminate the books?:rolleyes:
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Laminate the books?
    Ha, trying to stay low key, no hanging no books on no walls..

I used to have a wall with bragging stuff, but took it all down while chanting "less is more" :)
    Got a drawer full of licenses instead.
    Green Card from Japan
    Driver's Licencse from Kuwait.
    Radio and Pilot licenses from 4 different nations, plus French permits checking pilots out on flying info St. Barths without killing the pax.
    Merchant Marine quals from Norway and The US.
    12 PADI divers tickets .
    Bus, truck, trailer and taxi driver licenses from far away countries.
    Fire fighter and crash/resque quals from The Norwegian Air Force.
    Wall is not big enough, time to retire :(
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yep, need a bigger house so you can have a bigger wall.:) A drawer just seems like the wrong place unless they're under aliases:cool:
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's funny.:p
  7. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I renewed my Masters license for the second time with an artificial heart valve and it was a piece of cake frankly. I looked up all the stuff they'd need (and it's alot!) and sent it ALL - renewal was under 6 weeks. The previous renewal was the first after surgery and it took 19 months. I worked on the advice that only send in what they ask for, nothing more. So I sent in the minimum, and they took a long time to review that; then they asked for the next stuff. I sent that in and they took a really long time reviewing that- and then when it was complete they asked for one more test- and so on for 19 months. REALLY frustrating- so the next renewal I just sent everything in against the advice of the local "expert"; like I said it took less than 6 weeks. BTW I've had a ticket for 20+ years, and two upgrades to my current license of 150 tons.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Do you take any medication that says "May Cause Drowsiness"? I do, and it's a big reason I didn't renew, and won't work commercial anymore. Huge liability. That became a big issue with the Staten Island ferry crash (and several other commercial crashes on land, water and air.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I don't know how it works in the US but with UK Tickets there always seems to be a course or something that needs to be done before re validating the latest is an STCW refresher which needs to be done before Jan 01 2017. The latest M Notice on the subject says that the MCA will say what exactly is required closer to the time - The lessons from the late insistence on having a CPSC and RB Ticket to comply with STCW 95 and not having enough college spaces to accommodate everyone seem to have been forgotten.

There is now also a requirement to have a Proficiency in Security Awareness which has caught a few guys out.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  10. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

If you are still on the water driving vessels (knowing you are subject to drowsiness) then how is the liability not part of the equation? Wouldn't that make you more liable in an accident scenario- even if it's operating a private vessel?
  11. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There's always the risk. Theoretically you shouldn't drive anything or operate any machinery when taking anything marked "may cause drowsiness", but the reality is that it's seldom an issue because I'm sure most times it doesn't and is put on as a CYA for the drug companies. Plus, being a stickler to the rule would probably take 90% of the drivers over 40 off the road and out of work. Even that accident with a celeb a year or so ago caused by Ambien ended up a minor deal, but it did cost her and her celb status is probably all that saved her. We all know that most of these meds don't really cause the average person to become drowsy. However, it's a completely different situation when you're driving commercially. The lawyers smell deep pockets. You'll be fine until / unless something happens, because these drugs don't come up or at least don't raise eyebrows on the normal DUI tox screen. Have a serious accident though and look out. We all take the risk while we need to make a living, but that liability definitely adds to the stress and risks.

Then you have what K1W1 refers to. Pretty soon you'll need an MBA to work on the water. No experience or ability, but plenty of certificates that you pay the government for. The business is no longer fun.
  12. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I think it's wise to advocate that persons who are taking medication that "may cause drowsiness" should not operate vessels- commercial or private. I can't say that "We all know that most of these meds don't really cause the average person to become drowsy." Accidents can and do kill people and dead people don't care if they were killed by a licensed commercial operator or an unlicensed one. Guess I'm one of those "sticklers".
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We know individually. The key word is "may". I take a few labeled such. They don't. If you have high blood pressure or high cholesterol, you take such a drug. Most Americans over 40 do. They're quite capable of living normally. We're not talking about things like oxycodone and Vicadin. So it's never an issue. For a commercial operator every drug in your system is under scrutiny in the event of a mishap.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep, after a medical letter exchange back and forth, my new red book came in last week. It has a nice pocket in the back for the TWIC card also.
    They ignored my upgrade request and were (re)typing up the forms for that now.
  15. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

So Mr. rcrapps, do you have 1 or 2 red books now?

(I have 2, either I am twice as qualified as before my renewal, OR somebody screwed up and should have issued a renewal sticker instead.) :confused:
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Two red books. one expired, one current.
  17. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aha, so I am not the only one.
    I was under the impression that a sticker would be issued at renewal time so as to be glued in the one of the pages and keep the book current that way.
    (Rather that issuing a new book)

Looks like I was wrong.
    (Once I thought for sure I was wrong, but I was wrong about that and therefore right)
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You were probably explained to keep your book for a sticker. But as the government is always trying to improve things, they changed their minds,, again.
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Surprise, surprise...
    Will keep collecting red books then.
  20. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Well, issuing books instead of certificates should save a lot of our tax dollars...NOT. How come every time the government tries to improve things and save our tax dollars it comes out the reverse? Gotta love it.