Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Cross

Legacy on the Hard

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by Windifferent, Nov 18, 2005.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

It's simply astonishing to see the swath cut into the sea bottom by Legacy's hull... and the distance the hull was dragged across the same. Hell hath no fury like mother nature! If the hull is still reasonably intact, this would make a good argument for how well Perini's are built.
  2. mattias

mattias New Member

To me it is unbelievable how this large Perini can be grounded in Florida, a state with millions of people, without anybody knowing anything about what's happening.
    How can this not be a huge thing in the media?
    Why can we not find anything (almost) on the Internet?
    Why is there so few (and only "old") photos of the yacht where she is right now?
    I get the feeling that there is some sort of "cover-up" surrounding this incident...:)

It has previously been reported on another yacht forum that the owner is facing huge million-dollar fines for every additional month the yacht stays where she is. Is that not motivation enough for him to move Legacy? If the reported amounts of the fines are true, I'm afraid that they will soon exceed the value of the yacht...

New photos, please!!!
  3. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Who is liable?

Is the insurance company liable for the removal or is the owner?
    If there is nothing but more damage to the reef to be done by removal, is there a good reason not to just clean it up and leave the hull there?
  4. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Someone jump in a boat and take a ride out there and ask some questions and take some pictures :D
  5. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Take a boat? Judging by the first pic inthis thread someone could wade out there...
  6. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Haha, guess I should of looked at that first.

Volunteering Kevin?
  7. YachtForums

Hi Mattias and welcome,

I think Codger raised the most valid points. Who is ultimately responsible and does the removal of Legacy pose more damage than leaving her in place. Short of knowing the real story behind this, it's probably best not to speculate. However, I agree with your sentiments. How can this continue?

I find myself wondering... is the necessary equipment available, or has it been diverted to areas of greater need? Damaged, sunk or stranded boats are probably a low level of importance, given this hurricane effected areas of higher critical need, such as oil platforms that were virtually destroyed in the Gulf coast region.

Also, the logistics and/or costs of removing Legacy may well exceed her value, in her current condition. It's really hard to say, but it's truly an unfortunate situation.
  8. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

The most likely reason for this vessel not being returned is government agencies not allowing it to be moved without an assurance of doing no further damage to the reef.

That being said, let's look at the obvious.

The swath dug into the reef by Legacy on its way to it resting stop has likely destroyed the habitat in that defined area already

The yacht made it there in the first place by being dragged/blown across the habitat for what looks to be about 1,000ft from deeper water.

Solution:
    Before the habitat can reestablish itself, drag the yacht back though it's original path.

Anyone see a logical reason not to do that? You would think getting rid of this yacht from an environmentally sensitive area would be a priority
  9. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

I thought of that... but "how"?
  10. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

On the west coast we have huge Ocean-going tugs that could easily drag half the planet to a different location.

If you wrap the sides of "Legacy" with some ballistic blankets attach multiple large steel cables and then "full speed ahead **** the torpedos"

Two or three large tugs pulling in slightly different directions so that you could essentially steer "Legacy" as you were towing it, it would be out in no time.

I'm surprised given the obvious level of talent of some of the members on this site, that no-one has blown huge holes in this idea.
  11. YachtForums

That's the best laugh I've had in a while! :D
  12. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

well mabe its not that easy then ? mabe that might cause more damage to the yacht's hull...? i dunno..
  13. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Thats great you guys have such powerfull tugs,They might be needed one day soon to drag California back to the mainland.:rolleyes:

I do hope there is at least one drunk captian that can't read a compass and drags the 5th circuit court farther out to sea.:D
  14. mattias

mattias New Member

Any new info about Legacy?
    It annoys me that I don't know what is happening with the yacht. I'm living in Europe so I'm unfortunately not able to swim out to the yacht myself to have a look. I'm therefore dependent on your reports... Please tell me what's going on!
  15. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I will take a shot at your theory...

Those huge ocean going tugs need deep water to operate in. Hard to say how long the hawser would be before they got into water deep enough to be used effectively.
  16. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Courtesy the fine (cough) folks at the SA forum:

According to the pics from Google Earth Legacy dug her own trench!

From keysnews.com:

17. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Nice find Kevin:D
  18. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Yeah... like the trip in didn't make a mess already. :rolleyes:
  19. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

"Legacy" is stranded between Bluefish and Calda channels.
    The NOAA chart shows between 1 and 3 feet, Mean Low Water, oh yeah, and 'Mud, Grassy'.
    If you are familiar with this real estate, you might argue that the surveyors should have more accurately termed the bottom 'Oatmeal, Watery'.

I know how "Legacy" found her way to her current resting spot. The question is how this 'FAS-DAM' (check out their site and look at the metal framework that is central to their design) will be set up and not yet sink into the muck.

Fearless prediction: this'll never work.

The dictionary defines 'legacy' as ...that which remains from a previous generation or time.

Hope she don't aim to live up to her name!
  20. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Thought about that myself... after reading about the operation, I think the way they distribute the weight of the cofferdam will be what keeps it from sinking into the muck. A keel and hull is a relatively small surface area to sink down, but a large, flat, 500 foot long section of cofferdam might not go in so easily (one would hope).