Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning

Lars Modin Design II

Discussion in 'Yacht Renderings & Plans' started by AMG, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Satellite dishes can be painted or even electroplated.
    " so, you want bling, just let me show you the lighted, silver plated satellite dish" :D
  2. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

AMG
    Do you have any more renderings of Anemone? Have you had it built or one with the same styling and balance?
    There's something about it that intrigues me.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Sorry, the conceptual renderings I show on these pages are not yet built. They are ideas on yachts and styles that can be built, as they are, or in some cases being remodelled to another size. A yacht with the same styling as Anemone can probably be made with one deck less and about 55 meter long (180 feet).

I made a quick drawing as an example here...

The foundation for most of my designs is that the yacht should be "easy".
    Meaning easy to build, easy to live on, easy to handle, easy to maintain and hopefully easy to the eye. Which all together makes them easy to resell.

There are many yachts built today where the styling rather say, look at me, my owner is so rich that he can build a yacht that is outdated by tomorrow or sometimes even before launched.

But this is what keeps the industry busy you can claim... :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Thank you.
    Easy on the eye is a part of the equation. I've been on one or two yachts where I've had to try and hide an involuntary shudder as I boarded. Sometimes it's just that the forms themselves were not my taste, other times because the function of certain elements made me wince. To a certain extent form must follow function. The questionable functionality of a smooth surface on a frosty morning only reminds me that I'd probably slip and end up on my butt.
    I have a term that I've used for a long time to describe the feeling that something is just not correct, "Velvet Elvis". You have been blessed if you've never seen one but the reference is to paintings done in Mexico using florescent paint, of Elvis Presley done on black velvet.
    Easy on the eye comes down to whose eye is doing the looking. :D
    To my eye Anemone doesn't have any velvet elvis elements, this is good. :)
    I've just been trying to imagine a complete Anemone at anchor by Ascension Island on New Year's Eve.
  5. Ricardo Barroso

Ricardo Barroso New Member

In the continuation

For me a yacht can be much more than a beautiful drawing, it can be for example a dynamic work of art that gets the attention for something in an indirect way.

I am in the same line of thought of the yachts they be easy to build, to operate and to maintain.

For this reason, I think that my yacht hull lucky 001 VRL.1 comes in that line, and I think that will be easy to build.

The great advantage of have virtual company is that can make the yachts as we want, and you baptize them as we want. :)
  6. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Codger, I was reading in the thread on Diesel engines that you would like to see a faster yacht looking like Skat? I remember to have played with the evolution of 180-footers back in the mid 90:s and now I found them. There are a few design elements similar to Skat here and also the grey colour...

Otherwise I think you should look at the Bannenberg/Curran designed Oceana. Her hullshape admitted a cruising speed of twenty knots and she actually recorded an average speed of 17.5 on her maiden journey from Australia to the Med. She moves as soft as a sailing yacht through the sea. Her name has since been; Kremlin Princess, Little Sis, Merlin and now Bakhshish.

Few yachts has come near her outstanding design since...

Attached Files:

7. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

I should clarify my enthusiasm for Skat. Skat's lines are defined, perhaps too hard edged for some, but I like the sense of precision and purpose. Yes there are disparate shapes but there is almost a mathematical relationship between all those elements that I find attractive. Perhaps having a poster of Rene Descartes on my wall as a 6 year old influenced my definition of what I find attractive. :) Skat's colour is close to "Kodak grey", it's neutral and doesn't add or detract from the shapes.
    To borrow Ricardo's words, it's a dynamic work of art.
    Skat is unique and should remain so. There is another yacht by Espen Oeino with the same bow arch, otherwise it shares few if any elements of Skat.

Oceana/Bakhshish is interesting. I like the flat planes and again, the defined edges of the hull. The superstructure is not the answer for me.

Anemone has different shapes but again the shapes come together as a complete vessel that I find for the most part attractive. I played around grafting Skat's stern profile on to Anemone but it doesn't work. Bling also has an interesting very sleek appearance and defined shapes that work together as a whole. The contrasts, vertical against horizontal, are very appealing. The shapes towards the bow are almost tactile.

It would be rather interesting if one were willing to allocate the resources to have some of these built just to see how they turn out. :) Keep Lürssen busy for the next decade.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Next week I´ll dig deeper into my files, there are a lot of yachts to discover... ;)

And I could as well think of building at Lürssens close neighbour Abeking & Rasmussen.
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

AMG
    I just want to express my appreciation for your willingness to share information about design. Also your patience as I attempt to define for myself what I do or do not want in a vessel. I must admit to some curiosity about all those that view your designs but don't wish to participate in exploring the possibilities with you. Again, thank you.
  10. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

The fully enclosed Landaulette 33, depending upon the materials used would also offer additional security. 11mm Lexan is a useful material but I haven't used it for a few years and at that time there were issues with long term UV exposure. Not sure about Lexan when it comes to the dimensional stability that would be required for the sun-hatch. Have you any experience with this material?
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks for appreciating the designs I post here. Yes, I have experience with Lexan, but it wouldn´t be necessary on this boat. And talking of supermarket,
    in january I made this little boat design which we launched already last week;
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8431&postcount=111

She is 9x3 m and displaces 4 tonnes with a VolvoPenta D6 350 hp diesel. At the first trial we filled her up with 400 litres of fuel and took on 16 people... The GPS top speed was 38.2 knots! Not bad... :cool:

Attached Files:

• Cam.jpg
      Cam.jpg
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Congratulations.
    It's always a good feeling to see what was a concept on paper become reality.
    I think many of us would very much enjoy shopping in your supermarket. :)
    38 knots, impressive.

The use of Lexan came up because I may have to go to East Africa and the reception is sometimes of varying degrees of hospitality.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thank you, yes it is rewarding when a boat is built that fast and despite this, everything turns out better than expected.

The D6 engines are just fantastic and in our 32 foot GRP boats we can cruise at 40 knots with a top speed of 46!

I see why you would choose Lexan then, but this is a question of security more than safety... ;)
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  14. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Anchor

This is probably a patently obvious point to the more experienced here. I keep going back to Anemone and then noticed something about Bling now that it's on the main page of this site. The anchors are recessed behind doors, and the doors appear to be flush with the hull surface. There are some vessels that have hidden anchors but the doors themselves are recessed.
    Am I correct in my perception that the doors are flush with the hull?
    Besides the, to me, aesthetic advantages of hiding the anchors there would also be the practical advantage of having that area sealed when in heavier seas. Am I seeing/reading more in to this than is there?
  15. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right in that the main reason to hide the anchors is to avoid the slamming when the anchor hit the sea, especially on faster boats. Also on slow-going yachts you have to tighten the anchors every now and then if they are constantly bouncing towards the sea.

Another reason is of course the aestethic advantage on a contemporary yacht design.

Normally you have the hull covered with stainless steel under the anchors to avoid scratches and on steel hulls, the red rust. With the hatch you still have this stainless steel, but usually painted in the hull colour.

And I think the whole arrangement should be flush, but if it is recessed an inch or so, it might be easier to seal the hatch if it is close to the waterline.

Finally, the semi circular shape of the hatch on Bling is just a part of the geometrical design concept.

Thanks for bringing it up... ;)

Attached Files:

16. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Just a quick question, could someone tell me what the advantage is with sloping the windscreen forward?

A question from the unlearnered about your boat Lars, the hull looks quite flat accross the front, is this boat meant for the open sea, or lakes, rivers, etc?
  17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Negative can be positive!

Hi Ben,

The negative windscreen gives you many advantages. At daytime the sun will not hit the dashboard and reflect back on the inside of the glass. At sunset the eyebrow works as a sun visor. At darkness you have no reflections from instruments, radar or plotter. At rain the windows are better protected and without glare in the remaining water.

Secondary benefits are more space inside, both headroom and to make a high mounted panel för additional instruments, compass and radios.

This boat is built to operate in our archipelago where the sea normally is less than three feet high which causes no problem to this hull. It has a deadrise of 20 degrees at the stern and about 45 at the bow thruster which is pretty much on a wide boat like this. The boatyard have used the same hull for many years why I had no reason to change it for this boat and the performance is better than I expected.

/Lars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  18. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Thanks for the explination, Lars. ;)
  19. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Lars, wonderful to see such exquisite designs! One thing that caught my eye was that the top deck is usually wide open or fully enclosed. No hardtops? Do the owners always insist on air conditioning? Or ....?

Thanks,
    Kelly Cook
  20. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Thanks Kelly,

Many of my early designs was with a hardtop, from 24 m open boats up to the big ones. Have a look at "Chianti" as an example; http://www.YachtForums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627

On air condition, you need it, if not for the owners so for the interiors. But as with Chianti, you can have glass partitions that open up for alfresco dinings when weather permits.

Actually there are boats with "air condition curtains" as well, a chilled "air fall" separeting thermal zones between outside and inside or under fixed tops...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.